Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Skimmed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Max Powers wrote: »
    Couldnt someone get yoiur passwords,hack into your online account, and transfer money all over the place in that way?

Well yes they could I suppose.

Couple of things though, its been a while since I set one up with BoI but IIRC they posted me a letter out with a code in it. I then entered the code on 365 online and that activated the transfer. So anyone who had my online banking password would need to be intercepting my post.
    With ptsb its a little quicker, they text you a 6 digit code and you go through a similar process of activating the transfer. If you keep an eye on things you would notice this new transfer, our even the last login dates & times. If you use online banking enough that sort of thing becomes second nature, like covering your PIN when you use the ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

For anyone whose interested very good video here for ppl trying to spot a card skimming device

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Thanks for the Vid, its really interesting to know what to look for to stay safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

For anyone whose interested very good video here for ppl trying to spot a card skimming device

did not realise that ATMs use the magnetic strip and not the chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

BailMeOut wrote: »
    did not realise that ATMs use the magnetic strip and not the chip.
    chip is only used for card transactions in a shop at a POS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 aFineDayToExit

Had my account cleaned out over the last 2 days, last withdrawal was today, all my xmas money gone, if I wasn't so upset I'd be raging to the point of killing someone, doubt if the bank will sort me out :( I'm always so bloody careful at ATM's .....sick to my stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Had my account cleaned out over the last 2 days, last withdrawal was today, all my xmas money gone, if I wasn't so upset I'd be raging to the point of killing someone, doubt if the bank will sort me out :( I'm always so bloody careful at ATM's .....sick to my stomach

Did you lose much?? Any idea where/how??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The bank have to refund you, they don't have an option.

The only reason they can refuse is if you had noticed strange things happening, and then never bothered to inform them.

It your money. The banks job is to keep it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

dayshah wrote: »
    The bank have to refund you, they don't have an option.

The only reason they can refuse is if you had noticed strange things happening, and then never bothered to inform them.

It your money. The banks job is to keep it safe.

Surely the bank should send out an employee each day (to the machines attached to a branch) to check for these skimming devices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Roanmore wrote: »
    Surely the bank should send out an employee each day (to the machines attached to a branch) to check for these skimming devices?

This would make far too much sense and probably be more cost effective int he long run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Roanmore wrote: »

I think the bank managers feel they need to pay over €500,000 to get the 'talent' who could come up with such an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Must be some CVTV of people who did this. Both fitting the device and cleaning out the account. If the conceal faces at the ATM surely a bit of investigation of the CCTV about town can pick them up or is that too much hard work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Just to let you know,i had my card skimmed last year. My bank called me when they seen some odd transactions so i would say you will get a call when the banks open again. You will get the cash back. You just have to fill in a form and it takes about 2 weeks, it is a pain in the ass but you should get all your cash back into your account in 14 days or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

thomasm wrote: »
    Must be some CVTV of people who did this. Both fitting the device and cleaning out the account. If the conceal faces at the ATM surely a bit of investigation of the CCTV about town can pick them up or is that too much hard work

Spot on, it's all and well asking people to be careful at the ATM's but that's fine for a lot of the population but my mother or mother in law would not have an idea what a fake ATM machine face looks like.
    Most ATM's are attached to bank branches or in shops / garages, a daily inspection by trained staff would easily identify these false faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 valerie19

My card was skimmed also over Christmas while I was at home in Cork. I used an ATM in Dublin on the 21st of December and an ATM in Cork (The same local one) 3 times over the Christmas. Eirshop €40 Iaronrod Eireann €73 Iarnrod Eireann €48 and a transaction for €789 and another for €335. I'm surprised they got so much as BOI always phone me to check but the were closed the 1st and 2nd when most of the money was taken they obviously knew what they were doing. I reported it to the guards, card services and banking 365. Its very annoying I'm always so careful with my PIN. I met my friend in our local pub right after I'd used the ATM and she said that was funny as she couldn't get her card into the ATM 10 minutes before there was a coin or something blocking the slot but the man behind her must have fixed it!!!

padraig.od wrote: »
    Online banking is great if you want to avoid this. i transfer most cash out of my account into a seperate online only account on payday leaving a nominal amount and transfer into that current account as i need it. if i do get skimmed or mugged at an atm the most they could get is 100 bucks.

Can I just ask is this the one with permanent Tsb? You set up an online account and can transfer money to and from 24/7?? Was thinking about doing that myself with my current account and transferring the money to this online account. Sounds handy and alot safer me thinks.

Any thoughts on this?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Can I just ask is this the one with permanent Tsb? You set up an online account and can transfer money to and from 24/7?? Was thinking about doing that myself with my current account and transferring the money to this online account. Sounds handy and alot safer me thinks.

Any thoughts on this?:confused:

Yeah all my banking is with ptsb.

I have a current account with a ATM/Laser or Visa card. My wages are payed into this account. I also have an online only account (I don't even know the account number). When I'm paid I move most of my wages to the online only account. The only way to access this account is to log into open24. I then transfer money to the current account (the one with the ATM card) as I need it. Also because its an Savings Account you earn a bit of interest during the year too!

If you log into open24 there is an option called Account Opening. Click that and choose an Instant Access Saving account. It can be opened online in a few minutes. You can transfer in and out of it instantly using the Transfers & Payments option.

Best part about a smart phone is you can all of this from anywhere, and at anytime! If you don't have one then it may be a bit awkward running around town at 2 in the morning trying to find an internet cafe to pay for the taxi home!

I don't work for ptsb by the way, I'm sure AIB, BoI or whoever have similar facilities with their online banking facilities.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info padraig!! Really interesting stuff alright and alot safer than been scammed. Must look into this later! Thanks again!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I also use my 2 PTSB a/c's the same way. One with a visa debit for day to day spending and another one to pay bills and keep the bulk of my money.

The only catch I find is if you don't lodge more than €2,000 per month into the account you have to pay charges. I transfer it and then transfer it back straight away.

If you register for Open24 you can use the phone banking on a normal mobile and transfer money to your atm account - it's automated so you can do it anytime and its immediate.

Just after setting it up there now! Very easy to set up and very handy to use. Well impressed!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement