Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between artists views

• 03-12-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Have an idea for a new tattoo so i said i'd call into 2 well known shops in dublin whos portfollios are quiet impressive. First place i called to, the artist said my idea wudn't really work, i cud use some of it but he'd hav to change parts around and add some stuff. Second shop i called to the artist said yeah no problem he'd do it an gave me a price.
    Who do i believe?????? Was the first artist not confident enough to do it or was he telling the truth about it not working......or is the second artist money mad and willing to do a bad tattoo or just a better tattooist than the first??????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

hard to know

different people have different tastes

different artists will look at the same picture and see 2 different things and will add their own little touch to it..

you could have the 2 of them do their idea of the tattoo on you and they both could have their good parts and look good for different reasons

can u post a pic of what you showed the tattoo artists and then maybe we could say if the guy that wanted to go ahead and do it as is has the right idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Basically what it was, was some sheet music. Wanted it starting wit the cleff on my shoulder and then spiriling down around my arm to near elbow where the lines wud break up and notes wud start falling down my arm, and wit a white rose and a thistle in behind in backround

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

what you are probably looking at here is that one artist is thinking that practically speaking what you are describing will either not work or won't look in the skin they way you think it will. The artist may believe that to make something like that work you would have to stylize the subject matter rather drastically to make it an aesthetically pleasing tattoo. Trying to explain that to people is far more tricky than you would imagine, and it is usually met by resistance and annoyance from the customer. Customers frequently don't see that the tattoo artist is genuinely trying to help them, even if you don't agree with their view point. People get very hostile on occasion. So it can be expected that some artists are somewhat hesitant to go in to why an idea (that you may potentially feel very strongly about...) is unworkable, especially when doing so is frequently read as the artist being arrogant or trying to force you into their particular style.

The other artist is possibly more comfortable with taking it a certain direction stylistically right off the bat.

Advertisement