Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redesign concrete feeding pad into cattle pen/crush.

• 03-12-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

All,
    As title suggests I have a very good solid concrete feeding pad surrounded by walls and gates. Walls are ok - single block, approx. 5 feet high. What I need is a good crush and the temtation is there to fix a crush to on side of the walls. Is there any way the crush poles can be fixed to the existing concrete? The only way I can see out of it is to knock one wall, dig holes and put in a foundation for a new crush pad plus new walls.
    All suggestion welcome,
    Mick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

you can hire a machine to drill out a core of concrete for what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

Thanks Legwax - will look into that. Other reason I hate extending on one side is a few trees would have to come out - then digging out roots etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Would it be possibe to bolt the uprights to the concrete ? Also would the single block wall be strong enough when you are squeezing bigger cattle down the chute ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

moy83 wrote: »
    Also would the single block wall be strong enough when you are squeezing bigger cattle down the chute ?

This would worry me too. Is it a 4" block on its edge or on the flat? Is it plastered?

The core drill, as mentioned above, could be the man here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I hear what yer saying lads with the core bit, it would be a neat job.

My only fear would be the thickness of concrete that would be supporting the posts? 4-5"??? After that you are boring through hardcore. That's not enough, not for a crush! You want more of a footing around the posts. 16-18" at least I would think.

If it was me, I'd cut out 12"-15" squares out of the concrete with angle grinder. Break out the concrete with jack hammer and you can dig out the hard core. This will allow you to pour plenty of concrete down around the posts.

You can go to bed then straight after you have it done and you won't need any sleeping pills that night!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You probably have thought of this already; hire a mini digger with a rock breaker for a weekend, mark out all the holes with cattle raddle before hand. I'd be inclined to stay away from the wall for the crush, it should be ok for pens though.

One suggestion I'd have is a few gaps for yourself between H iron uprights so that you can move between pens without opening gates or climbing over them. Make them about 10-12"(depends how big you are:o) apart so you turn sideways to slip through.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    One suggestion I'd have is a few gaps for yourself between H iron uprights so that you can move between pens without opening gates or climbing over them. Make them about 10-12"(depends how big you are:o) apart so you turn sideways to slip through.

Excellent suggestion. You are dead right blue 5000. This is one thing i would do if I was starting over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    I hear what yer saying lads with the core bit, it would be a neat job.

My only fear would be the thickness of concrete that would be supporting the posts? 4-5"??? After that you are boring through hardcore. That's not enough, not for a crush! You want more of a footing around the posts. 16-18" at least I would think.

If it was me, I'd cut out 12"-15" squares out of the concrete with angle grinder. Break out the concrete!!

I had holes in mind more like what your saying alright. I agree 5" holes would never be enough. A much simpler job than getting in a core drill is a consaw, hire one out and cut out 18" squares, maybe 12" deep.
    Another option is to incorporate a step along the working side of the crush.If you were doing this the step would anchor the posts somewhat too. A step is woeful handy along a crush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

Bizzum wrote: »
    I had holes in mind more like what your saying alright. I agree 5" holes would never be enough. A much simpler job than getting in a core drill is a consaw, hire one out and cut out 18" squares, maybe 12" deep.
    Another option is to incorporate a step along the working side of the crush.If you were doing this the step would anchor the posts somewhat too. A step is woeful handy along a crush.

A step is very handy along a crush but one thing i'd suggest if it was a removal step so that it could be removed if an animal went down. Will make it easier for getting em up as well as gates u can open along the sides. Jus a tought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

Appreciate all the replies - much to think about. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

agree, consaw and cut out squares. not easy, but the right way to do the job.

Advertisement