Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Double Standards

Options
  • 03-12-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I was following and enjoying the Late Late Toy Show thread in the TV forum last night. However one post stood out for all the wrong reasons. A member was quite abusive about one of the children on the show, even calling her a tramp. FFS this was a 9 year old girl.

I just find the double standards on this site rather annoying. If you made a comment like this about another Boards member you'd be facing a ban for personal abuse.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Did you report the post using this (report.gif) button?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

No I didn't. Maybe I should have but there was a number of Boards Mods using that thread last night who I would have presumed would have reported it to the TV forum Mods if it was against the rules as they are more familiar with what allowed to be said on this site.

But this isnt a once off this. Just look around the site. There is plenty of examples of people (for example "Celebs") being abused. Even in the Late Late thread last night there was some really nasty abuse aimed towards Ryan Tubridy which seemed to be allowed. Like I said to me it seems like double standards. Do you think its ok to call a 9 year old girl a little tramp?

Use the report button when/if you've got a problem. All mods are normal users outside their fora.

edit/ Double standards? Are some people being told to not post stuff, while others carry on doing it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

gemma188 wrote: »
    No I didn't. Maybe I should have but there was a number of Boards Mods using that thread last night who I would have presumed would have reported it to the TV forum Mods if it was against the rules as they are more familiar with what allowed to be said on this site.

That was a very large and fast moving thread. You can't assume that other posters would have seen and reported it. The fact that there were mods posting on the thread is irrelevant, unless they were TV forum mods they were just ordinary posters in that thread the same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

"double standards" should be replaced with "****** *********" in feedback. Its the most over used and misused set of words in this forum.

Someone had something not so flattering to say about a child on the toy show, while its likely to be not endorsed by the site it may not break a rule as the child in question is not a member of the forum, and while i agree with you that perhaps its not very savory to be making judgemental remarks about a child, i would suggest you take a teaspoon full of cement and harden up.

The world is full of things and people that are not nice. It doesnt always have to be someone elses fault that they are like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

sigh.

wont someone think of the children?

I was there that infamous night, and yes, there was one particularly odious comment, less user friendly that hoped for. but it was flagged and criticised and the criticism was given many thumbs up.

thing is, that particular LLS thread, even if its the toy show, has always been a small bit rambunctous .

And in the firing line, some collateral damage does occur.

but it's not a case of rampant anti child targeting going on.

and as for digs at Tubbs....

well...

eta. also, it's really the parents the comments are targeting, as in what sort of creatures created these 'marbles in the mouth kids' and then push them into the limelight? sure, it's the poor kid that gets it, but c'mon, they're not exactly on the thread, reading the comments are they?
    and if their parents are, good.

Relevant word bolded.

See, this is where you went wrong. It's kinda like those "what to do if you smell gas" adverts on the street. Don't just presume someone else has called the emergency services.

Also, for the record, I don't think calling a 9 year old girl a tramp is particularly nice but I wasn't reading that thread and I don't know what context it was said in. It may have been a joke, albeit not a very tasteful one, but even still I probably wouldn't have reported it. But that's just me.

As for the double standards, I think there is double standards on boards. And triple and quadruple standards. Each forum has it's own charter and often something that would be let go in one forum, wouldn't be in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

El Weirdo wrote: »
    As for the double standards, I think there is double standards on boards. And triple and quadruple standards. Each forum has it's own charter and often something that would be let go in one forum, wouldn't be in another.

Sorry El Weirdo, I think you may have picked me up wrong on my double standards comment! I dont mean that some forums allow certain comments while other take a different view. What I meant was Boards in its entirety doesnt allow personal abuse against other members. But its ok to make abusive remarks about non-members. Whether its a little girl on the Toy Show or a well know TV personality, if they arent a member of this site you can be nasty and offensive towards them. I just dont think that's right.

Whether its a little girl on the Toy Show or a well know TV personality, if they arent a member of this site you can be nasty and offensive towards them.
    You can't really, you know? I myself had a post edited by a mod in the After Hours' Toy Show thread as I'd called Jedward a "pair of twats" or words to that effect.

If you report a post that you think might be out of order it will be looked at and a mod will decide whether your concerns have merit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If you report a post that you think might be out of order it will be looked at and a mod will decide whether your concerns have merit or not.

this is what it boils down to really. if you see a post you think is being abusive (as opposed to a user expressing a valid opinion) then report it to bring it to the mods attention. if you dont report it and nothing is done, then its a little bit unfair to claim that a double standard exists based on the evidence of that one post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement