Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C# vs VB.Net

Options
  • 03-12-2011 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Just wondering how people here feel about VB.Net? I am personally of the opinion that C# is the language of choice because ...
    - I feel that it is becoming the international language of .Net technologies.
    - It enforces good case sensitive syntax.
    - It's syntax also lends itself to porting to previous incarnations of the language such as C++, C etc.
    - It seems to be the standard language for support and training purposes.
    - It is close to JAVA so again an easy port / learning curve there.
    - VB was traditionally a RAD language with a high take up from beginners, I wonder is this still the case?
    - No matter what MS say, rumors persist about VB's eventual decline. Just follow the money, MS are shelving Silverlight at version 5, reasons are said to be unnecessary cost base. Where would that leave VB?

I stand to be corrected on any of the above, The points I raise are just my opinion. If you were being interviewed for a job, and lets say it was a VB role and you were a c# person, how would you feel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Only ever see vb used as part of msoffice documents these days really (excel/access vba). Don't see the point of using vb.net, because as you say c# is better.

Maybe for supporting a legacy vb project, but that's only if too expensive to rewrite whole lot in modern languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I'm not sure what the case is these days, but I do remember reading back in 2004 that the C# compiler wrote more optimized (IL) code than VB.net.

Personally I started programming with VB6, moved to VB.net and could never understand the hatred towards it. After a while I gave C# a try, and moving back I found its verbosity frustrating to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

VB for beginners but once you try another language, you cannot go back to VB. I find it so frustrating even to understand. This is the most case with people, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I am probably one of the few people who prefers VB's syntax to C#'s.

I don't think MS are going to shelve VB anytime soon at all, though maybe it will eventually happen. When it comes to which is a more valuable skillset I would definitely say C# has more currency.

Advertisement