Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build for €1,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I was just comparing the two core i5 CPU's on hardwareversand.de, the i5-2500k Tray and the i5-2500k Box.

I know Eboggles said the Boxed version comes with a fan, while the Tray one does not. But is there any other. But I've noticed the Tray one does not have a 3 year warrenty, seems to have more features like Enhanced SpeedStep technology and costs €3 more :P

So there any performance difference between the two at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Benzino wrote: »
    I was just comparing the two core i5 CPU's on hardwareversand.de, the i5-2500k Tray and the i5-2500k Box.

I know Eboggles said the Boxed version comes with a fan, while the Tray one does not. But is there any other. But I've noticed the Tray one does not have a 3 year warrenty, seems to have more features like Enhanced SpeedStep technology and costs €3 more :P

So there any performance difference between the two at all?

As far as I'm aware, they're literally the same exact thing, except one doesnt come in the retail box with the stock fan, otherwise everything's the same. Warranty should be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

As far as I'm aware, they're literally the same exact thing, except one doesnt come in the retail box with the stock fan, otherwise everything's the same. Warranty should be identical.

Warranties usually differ between retail and OEM. OEM you'd get the standard 1 year, whereas Retail box you'd get the 3 years at least.

Best thing to do is to check, if its really that important. (fact is, if a CPU is going to fail, it will do it sooner, rather than later).

Benzino - the only differences are the warranty and the lack of a fan for the tray CPU. Otherwise, a 2500k, is still a 2500K, no matter how fancy the box is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I should point out that technically, even using anything other than the stock cooler voids your warranty with Intel processors...

Serephucus wrote: »
    I should point out that technically, even using anything other than the stock cooler voids your warranty with Intel processors...

I believe that's the main reason you're only given the legal entitlement to 1 years manufacturer warranty on tray / OEM parts.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I was just wondering why the tray version is more expensive (only €3 more mind you) despite having less in it.

I'm not too worried about the warranty, never had any issues with Intel down the years.

One final question, I promise :P

Was doing one last run through before ordering, and noticed that for the Noctua NH-D14 cooler does not say it supports socket 1155 in the Compatibility section, despite it saying it does in the title.

I searched online and I'm getting conflicting reports, with this review stating it only supports 1156, and not 1155.

Any of you guys know if it does support socket 1155?

Thanks.

1155 and 1156 use the same mounting holes, so yes, it does.

1155 and 1156 use the same mounting holes, so yes, it does.

Great, thanks!

Well just placed my order, went to pay only to realize I have to wait for my bank to send my out a code to activate the bank transfer :( Hopefully my order won't expire in the meantime, might see if I can get the activation code from the local bank tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks guys and gals for helping me out, appreciate it :)

• Advertisement

Bank of Ireland?

You can get those codes sent to your phone. ... Which you need to activate, and wait for an activation code in the post. :P

Haha yeah, when I saw that option I was like "great", then I realized I had to activate the phone :(

Well I got it ordered, and it's en-route, should get it during the week :D However, I just realized I have no thermal paste, was 100% sure I had some from before. Any place in Dublin where I could pick some up? I assumed maplins would have some artic silver, but alas no. Would Silicon Thermal Compound be ok?

Peats. Much better than Maplin.

Ah cool, never heard of them before! Hopefully they have it in stock in one of their stores :D Thanks

Ah cool, never heard of them before! Hopefully they have it in stock in one of their stores :D Thanks

Parnell street (around the corner from Maplin) is the best store.

Thanks, just going to go to it now, fingers crossed they have some!

They were sold out in Parnell street, but I got the last one in the store on College Green :D

He did say just to use a pea size amount and put the heatsink on it, that the heatsink will spread it out. I always thought you should spread the paste out to form a thin layer with an old credit card or something.

He did say just to use a pea size amount and put the heatsink on it, that the heatsink will spread it out. I always thought you should spread the paste out to form a thin layer with an old credit card or something.

Nope, that's exactly what you shouldn't do. You'll get air bubble that way. What the guy said was correct. The only time you'd spread thermal paste before-hand is if you're re-pasting a GPU, as they require a lot more per unit area than a CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nope, that's exactly what you shouldn't do. You'll get air bubble that way. What the guy said was correct. The only time you'd spread thermal paste before-hand is if you're re-pasting a GPU, as they require a lot more per unit area than a CPU.

+1. check few youtube videos, which show how to apply it. When you will see it visually it will give you more confidence!

• Advertisement

Definitely. The pressure of the heatsink evenly spreads the paste out creating a very tight, and very fine seal.

What most people dont understand is ideally, there would be no paste at all, and just a perfect metal to metal contact. But inevitably there are small imperfections in the CPU heatspreader and the surface of the heatsink, and the paste is to fill those gaps, not to be an entire other layer for heat to travel through.

Glad I mentioned it so, would I spread it out using a credit card. I'll definitely check out a few youtube vids on it, thanks guys/gals :)

I'm just building the pc now :D I do have a question though. The graphics card says it is PCI express 2.0, but on the motherboard it says the slot is PCI Express 3.0 (there are 2.0 slots but these are a X1 slots, and not the required X16). It's ok to put the card into the 3.0 slot yeah? Just don't want to blow anything up :P

I'm just building the pc now :D I do have a question though. The graphics card says it is PCI express 2.0, but on the motherboard it says the slot is PCI Express 3.0 (there are 2.0 slots but these are a X1 slots, and not the required X16). It's ok to put the card into the 3.0 slot yeah? Just don't want to blow anything up :P

Yes. Its perfectly fine. PCI-e 3.0 is just an updated spec, there aren't even any PCI-E 3.0 cards available yet.

They're all backwards compatible.

Yes. Its perfectly fine. PCI-e 3.0 is just an updated spec, there aren't even any PCI-E 3.0 cards available yet.

They're all backwards compatible.

Great, thanks.

One more question :D The power supply has 2 CPU 4 + 4Pin connector(P2,P3). However there is no cpu power connector on the motherboard. Do I connect these to the ATX 12V power connector (which has 8 pins)?

Sorry, it's been a few since I done this and don't want to be connecting the power up incorrectly!

So I got it built, no problems really :D Windows 7 took ages to install, but other than that it was fine :)

Just going to read up on overclocking the CPU now, any advice?

Thanks for all the help by the way :)

Reading up? On overclocking 1155?! Pfft.

Multi = 45
    Voltage = 1.35

Done. :)

Reading up? On overclocking 1155?! Pfft.

Multi = 45
    Voltage = 1.35

Done. :)

In the bios yeah? I don't recall seeing settings for these, will have to double check.

Ah ok, there is a setting called CPU Core Voltage which is currently set to auto. I assume I set this to fixed at 1.35 yeah? I don't see anything for Multi though, what is that?

Ok, I was (half) joking when I said that. Those settings will most-likely be stable, but you have to hav the cooling to dissipate that sort of heat. What CPU, cooler and case do you have again?

• Advertisement

Great, thanks.

One more question :D The power supply has 2 CPU 4 + 4Pin connector(P2,P3). However there is no cpu power connector on the motherboard. Do I connect these to the ATX 12V power connector (which has 8 pins)?

Sorry, it's been a few since I done this and don't want to be connecting the power up incorrectly!

Eh, the motherboard DEFINITELY has a CPU 8pin power connector. (you got the ASRock Z68?).

ALL modern motherboards have CPU power connectors.

The ATX 12v connector is the CPU power connector. 8 pins, and near enough to the CPU socket.

Advertisement