Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is College Road called College Road?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

.. / -.. --- -. .----. - / -.- -. --- .--

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

.. -. -... . ..-. --- .-. . - .... . .-.. --- -.-. -.- !

@Mactard: -.. .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / ..- ... . / .- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. ..--..

@ others: http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Agh, that's good and makes it a lot easier for me to understand. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Would ya believe I was discussing this with my mother last week I actually have no idea the first time I heard College Road I thought it was out Newcastle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Would ya believe I was discussing this with my mother last week I actually have no idea the first time I heard College Road I thought it was out Newcastle!

Definitely confuses tourists. I've often been walking along University Road in Newcastle and been asked directions for College Road from people out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

The Galway Grammar School operated for more than 200 years, finally closing ... More recently, Yeats College has renovated the old Grammar School building; . ...
    maybe this is your answer...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some guy called Erasmus Smith had a college there apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Weylin wrote: »
    The Galway Grammar School operated for more than 200 years, finally closing ... More recently, Yeats College has renovated the old Grammar School building; . ...
    maybe this is your answer...........
    +1, to the best of my knowledge also, but I'm almost certain it had to do with that building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

This was also in my brain the last week. :pac:

Why is New Road called New Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why is New Road called New Road?
    Cause someone in the council prob temporarily named it on a drawing and meant to change it but forgot and out it went to the public domain

Why is shop st called shop street? There's usually more than one shop on a street. I guess we don't have a lot for doing if this is all we can write about.;)

Hmm, I had a more rosemantic opinion about sailing boats on the canal and then a permanent bridge was put on that road and the townspeople had run out of respectable first names (Henry, Dominick, Mary, John etc.) and they decided to call it New to differentiate it from some other road which is now Old..

headmaster wrote: »
    Why is shop st called shop street? There's usually more than one shop on a street. I guess we don't have a lot for doing if this is all we can write about.;)

It's actually Sráid na Siopaí which translates as The Street of Shops.
    Shops Street would incidate it belongs to a Shop.
    So...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oh jaysus, thanks Snubby. You're a right bright spark, do ya work for the ESB by any chance? Now, maybe ya culd tel me why they called a steeet "Fleet St" Was it for fast fellas like yu, ha? Or maybe it's right name is "Sráid na Bád" or maybe the fleet hasn't sailed in yet :)

t1802.gif

Ok ok, it's a joke, cool man, cool. Happy xmas ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What was Station Road called before the station was built, or University Road before the university was there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Nome Alaska is said to owe it's name to an early navigator who noted on his chart for that bay " no name".

Somebody preparing another chart for that coastline transcribed that as "Nome"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lapin wrote: »
    What was Station Road called before the station was built, or University Road before the university was there ?

Or Bridge St before the bridge was built?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

JustMary wrote: »
    Or Bridge St before the bridge was built?

Cul de Sac

Why is Salthill called Salthill?

It's not as though there is a hill of salt, I also know it's not the only salthill in Ireland.
    The gaeilge version makes sense but has no connection to Salthill.

Advertisement