Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned from Christianity for Trolling

• 03-12-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently started 3 threads on Christianity

All 3 were within the charter rules and were sincere.

-One was about asking people who thought God spoke to them, what was said.

-Another was about people using psychedelic substances to enhance spiritual enlightenment, in which i referred to references of Aldus Huxley's 'The Doors or Perception' other cultures that use similar substances in religious rituals. and finally A BBC Documentary in which priests consume LSD and speak of the spiritual impact of the experience.

-The last thread was a light hearted thread about posting tasteful pictures of Pope Benedict.

Ironically It was this last post that broke the camels back and warranted a ban for a month from the forum.

I don't think I have been treated fairly now or in the past by the moderators of this forum, as I have been in the past vocal about people on the forum turning a blind eye to child sexual abuse, and financial irregularities within the catholic church. I believe my comments were suppressed, and labelled as trolling.

I PMed the Mod who banned me, asking them to reconsider, and have had no reply.

I have very few infractions on other boards, have been a member of this community for many years, and would appreciate an independent assessment of how standard to which board is moderated.

Regards.

SD.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You've been banned twice already from Christianity for trolling, and yet you continue to post threads with questions that are just going to irk the believers in the forum?

I don't believe these are 'genuine' questions, as your history would suggest you know what to expect as do the people who respond.

I have no issue with this ban. If you want a final opinion, you can request here that a Admin review your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Yes, I'd like an admin review all my infractions from the Christianity board please. I believe a pattern will emerge.

I believe my comments may irk some of the more extreme, fundamentalist viewers of the forum (e.g. my grandma), but I always state a logical, open minded argument with reference material where possible. that moderate Christians (e.g. my friends) would relate and respond to.

However last time I checked, it's not against the Boards charter to irk people with established beliefs with logical, well thought out questions. There's many times I read borderline racist comments in AH, extreme right wing waffle in politics, or incoherent made-up technobabble in computer forums. All this irks me, but I don't go flagging posts because I disagree with them.

Either way, I will accept the verdict of the supreme court admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Any word back from the admin on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Sorry. This slipped through the net.

I'll look into it now and post back later this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

First off, sorry for keeping you waiting so long for a response. For whatever reason no admin saw this thread, or realised that it needed admin attention, sorry about that.

Onto the ban. I have read over your posts in the Christianity forum ... as you suggested, a pattern has emerged, a pattern of low level trolling & baiting.

A 1 month ban is lenient, given the previous form.

I see no reason to lift or reduce the ban.

• Advertisement
Advertisement