Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diy fireplace

• 03-12-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

we're in a new house and the space in the fireplace is pretty big (i assume to leave it up to the owner to put in a stove, normal fire or whatever). so we want to put in an 18 inch grate into it but theres lots of space at the side and back. so looking for advice of where to start?! i know i'll need fire proof bricks but are these something i can use myself having no real building experience or will i need someone to come in and help me?? same goes with the floor, i need to bring it up about an inch so again would this be a big job for a newbie?!
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 martblue

your best bet is to get a fire back to fit from a local building suppliers..

See link.

http://www.dineensales.com/Firebacks.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If I was you, I'd be looking at a stove rather than a grate. An open fire has very little going for it in the current day and you're in an ideal situation given that you're starting out unlike some of us who went the open fire route, regretted it and then were compromised in the stove options available. Your call!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Avns1s wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd be looking at a stove rather than a grate. An open fire has very little going for it in the current day and you're in an ideal situation given that you're starting out unlike some of us who went the open fire route, regretted it and then were compromised in the stove options available. Your call!!

My fellow Mayoman here is correct, you would be daft to put in an open fire!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the replies!

was looking into getting a stove before but the price was what turned us off, especially as we have gas heating. just wanted a fire for the weekends during the winter more than anything else.

going to suss out the cost of a fire back i think, maybe we'll get a stove when we move!

Advertisement