Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monument of Light, Dublin Spire

Options
  • 03-12-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I do not like the Monument of Light, Dublin Spire its waste of Money, With the high price of scrap metal should the Government sale it off as part of the Budget 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The spike is handy for meeting people in town!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

37 people have died from craning their necks back to see the top. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I was expecting this thread to be from 2005..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I say give it to the French. They want everything else of ours...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

wow really wow:eek:

now where did i park the delorean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Was this moved over from AH?.

And is the name really 'The Monument of Light'?, something new to me if it is (and then I'll thank the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I got a 503 error so that's probably why I don't see my move post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

novarock wrote: »
    I was expecting this thread to be from 2005..

It was unveiled Christmas 2002/2003 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Keitho Dub

Was this moved over from AH?.

And is the name really 'The Monument of Light'?, something new to me if it is (and then I'll thank the OP).

The Spire of Dublin, officially titled the Monument of Light[1] (Irish: An Túr Solais) is a large, stainless steel, pin-like monument 121.2 metres (398 ft) in height, located on the site of the former Nelson's Pillar on O'Connell Street in Dublin, Ireland.
    Contents

URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/#"][COLOR=#0000ff]hide[/COLOR][/URL
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

xzanti wrote: »
    It was unveiled Christmas 2002/2003 ;)

NINE YEARS!!! Time flies! I didn't like it at first, but now I really really like it. It pops up on the horizon when you just don't expect it, the upper floors of carparks, at meetings in third and fourth floor offices... The light on top of it surprised me sometimes when I see it. My orientation is sometimes way off when I spot it.

Manufactured in Dungarvan in Waterford, I think it's the worlds tallest sculpture. I'm sure the info is out there, but I wonder how much of it is underground and how much it sways in high winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tallest sculpture in the world apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If they had put a stairway/lift inside it, it would have been a great tourist attraction but hey DCC never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

gurramok wrote: »
    If they had put a stairway/lift inside it, it would have been a great tourist attraction but hey DCC never thought of that!

A lot of the other ideas put forward for the spot included things like observation decks. It's a real pity one wasn't included. That's my main issue with the thing. I think it actually looks quite impressive, especially from Henry St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A lot of the other ideas put forward for the spot included things like observation decks. It's a real pity one wasn't included. That's my main issue with the thing. I think it actually looks quite impressive, especially from Henry St.

Agreed. Where in Dublin can you get a view of the city other than heading to the hills?

Try spending a fortune at the Guinness Brewery or a fiver at Smithfield chimney. That's it ain't it?

The spire no matter how thin it is can be seen from miles around, just a pity its just a lump of matter which can be a meeting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

gurramok wrote: »

All they need do is put a hi-res webcam on top, controlable from a screen near the bottom, charge €1 to use - so that people can 'look around' Dublin from the camera. Also give an option to print out a postcard photo for €5. Imagine how many tourists would use that, especially to take a pic of you and your friends as seen from the top of the Spire as a momento from Dublin.

Would would a good webcam and screen cost, a grand maybe, install it next time they have to clean the SPire and watch the money roll in.

Advertisement