Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hire a Stihl MS880 or similar

Options
  • 03-12-2011 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Is there any place in the country that rents these out? I just want it for one particular job and it probably won't see use for quite a while after. Needs a very long blade

There is one place here that rents stuff and actually sells the MS880 but refuses to rent out chainsaws for insurance reasons (he is in the tree surgeon business and doesn't want to lose business by renting out chainsaws so the insurance company obviously gets the blame)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

as far as i'm aware theres nowhere to rent them, tried a lot of places even ones id know on a personal basis and they dont rent chainsaws. if you even lend one the owner is liable as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

1chippy wrote: »
    as far as i'm aware theres nowhere to rent them, tried a lot of places even ones id know on a personal basis and they dont rent chainsaws. if you even lend one the owner is liable as far as i know.

hmm this could be a problem. might have to end up buying one and sell when i'm finished with it. to pay someone else to do it will likely cost more than the saw itself (and no saw to sell on at the end of it!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

The best of luck finding one of these saws in ireland, two years ago i went looking for a stihl 660 saw and could not find one to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Its not possible to rent a chainsaw in Ireland because of insuance. How big is the timber? I have cut up a few massive trees and the biggest bar I have is 30".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

May I ask what you need it for, a 460 or husky 372 would take a 36" blade and maybe a 40 on a push.. The 880 is some animal of a thing.

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    May I ask what you need it for, a 460 or husky 372 would take a 36" blade and maybe a 40 on a push.. The 880 is some animal of a thing.

An ould baeshtard of a tree that fell down and is blocking the driveway. A 660 will probably do the job. Spent the day at it with a 028av &18" blade, got nowhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

haha I see, surely someone local has a saw for a couple of hours. Aint much in Ireland a 24" won't do. Biggest I've come accross was a 4ft dead elm, that was fun:D

kay 9 wrote: »
    haha I see, surely someone local has a saw for a couple of hours. Aint much in Ireland a 24" won't do. Biggest I've come accross was a 4ft dead elm, that was fun:D

I don't really know anyone with a saw any bit out of the ordinary, lots of people around with the regular 18-20" saws and the one 'tree surgeon' thats also selling the ms880 is a notorious rip off artist who gets even greedier if he has the slightest feeling that people are stuck for someone to do a job. Probably will have to get someone to cut it for us but have to keep my options open if he also turns out to be a rip off.

24" might get through it but then it might not and would be a lot easier cutting the thing into blocks if I didn't have to go at it from both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 powerslot

Hi
    If you are still in the market to purchase this MS880 they cost around €1200+VAT. I can have them for you next day. Unfortunately you will not get these to rent. You can mail me at the following address for any other information. We are Stihl agents.
    Gavin (at ) azhire (dot) ie

Advertisement