Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish music and dances in Primary school abroad

• 03-12-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everybody. I am Italian and I will be a Primary school teacher. I'm writing my graduation thesis about teaching English through the medium of Irish music and dances. Do you know any creche that uses this kind of music? Can you advice me some traditional Irish songs, not too hard, to use in class? Do you know some books about pedagogy of Irish music and Irish dances? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean songs in English?don't know of any creches teaching Irish dancing, but dance is part of the primary curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pimpa

Thanks for your reply. I meant songs in English that are part of the Irish tradition like: "I'll Tell Me Ma". My children are 7 years old, therefore the songs should be catchy and easy. Any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

to be honest irish dances in schools and irish songs are often taught through the irish language also known as gaelic. they are used by teachers to promote the teaching of irish rather than the english language if you know what i mean?
    there are traditional songs in english and some irish songs have been translated into english but often il try and use the irish language when teaching irish dances to get the children interested in their native language.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pimpa

Thank you afkasurfjunkie. I understand what you mean! I'll try to do the same getting my children interested in English. Do you know other traditional Irish songs, of course just in English? I know many many songs but are not suitable for children. Because of the difficulty and the subject...

Advertisement