Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here’s hoping for 2012 - Setting PB to beating PB

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My road to running started August 4th 2011 in which I decided that I will do the Dublin Half Marathon in September and the DCM in October. I managed to cross the line in the Dublin Half Marathon with a time of 1.34.44 and the DCM in 3.29.26.

I don’t have a running background but I would keep fit in the gym however since August running has really been the sport that I love taking part in and been part of a wider group.

Experienced runners have been giving me great advice such as Buy a book (running), get yourself a Garmin, join a club, set targets, follow a plan and start up a thread in the training log section. I have done all the above apart from one ‘Buy a Book’ hopefully I hinted enough for my Christmas present!

So here I am again looking for advice and support along the road to Rotterdam 2012 and DCM 2012.

Current Time:
    1) Dublin Half Marathon 2011 – 1.34.44
    2) Dublin City Marathon 2011 – 3.29.26
    3) Jingle Bells 5KM 2011 – 20.26

Targets 2012:
    1) Rotterdam 2012 – 3.15
    2) Dublin City Marathon 2012 - 2.59
    3) 5KM - 18.30
    4) 10KM – 38.00
    5) Half Marathon – 1.20/1.25

Looking forward to achieving my targets with help from you all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Tonight I set out to run for 45 mins and enjoy the run as much as possible. I didn't have a distance in mind but more about getting out and running for 45min plus at a nice relaxed pace.

Distance:5.94
    Time:47.36
    Pace:8.01

For the rest of December I am going to try and clock 25miles per week and get back to the gym twice a week to do some core and strenght work.

I am going to follow a marathon training plan from Jan 2nd onwards to get ready for Rotterdam but need to decide on what plan first.

By god it was cold out tonight. Ran into the wind for almosts 2 miles (miles 2 & 3) the last 2 miles felt great...

Distance:5.93 mi
    Time:46:04
    Avg Pace: 7:46 min/mi

I picked up speed for the last mile miles and ran at a very fast pace the last 400 to 500 metres... my thinking on this is that if I do this in training maybe when it comes to races ill maybe able to pick up speed for the last 500 metres and sprint the last 200... I did this for the DCM and sprinted the last 200 metres which i believe allowed me to cross the line with 31secs ahead of my target time...

DO you think this makes a difference?

Distance: 5.28 mi
    Time: 42:57
    Avg Pace: 8:08 min/mi

I really had to force myself to run over 40 mins tonight. The first two miles my feet hurt, legs hurt and I really found it hard from start to finish. I wouldn't mind but I had a 2 hr sleep this afternoon and rested most of the day. Not sure what happened with me tonight as I have rested a lot this week... Prob just a bad night!!

Distance: 6.25 mi
    Time: 47:56
    Avg Pace: 7:40 min/mi

Another 40+ min run tonight... Felt really good and just enjoyed the run... massive difference from Sat night... It's been at least 6 weeks since I have done 10mile plus so this weekend I will start to bring back the once a week long run... I am thinking about 12 miles at a the weekend plus three 6mile runs during the week....

This is my first winter training and I am finding it very difficult... More than anything the wind is a pain but I am starting to find routes that are sheltered from the wind most of the way.

It's been over two weeks now since I have trained due to an injury :-( groin strain which I felt coming on but I just ran through it... Starting to feel ready to get back training so tomorrow I am going to go on a easy 3mile run just to get back into the swing of things...

I also got the Marathon Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon for Christmas so at least I am educating myself in the art of marathon training.

It's not a good time to get injured as all I am doing is eating as expected over the Christmas hols however I am feeling the extra pounds already....

• Advertisement

Finally back running tonight, and starting a 15 week program for the Rotterdam Marathon. I am going to do the Hal Higdon Marathon Intermediate 2 program and jump in on the 4th week as it's an 18 week program. Rotterdam Marathon is the second week of April so 14 weeks is all I have. I know it’s not the best idea to jump in on a workout program so I will take it easy and if I need to reduce the miles on the weekends I will.

Weekly mileage will be something like this including the longest run per week.

WK1 31miles – Long Run 13m
    WK2 34miles – Long Run 14m
    WK3 30miles – Long Run 10m
    WK4 40miles – Long Run 16m
    WK5 41miles – Long Run 17m
    WK6 43miles – Long Run 18m
    WK7 45miles – Long Run 19m
    WK8 50miles – Long Run 20m
    WK9 30miles (Meath Spring Half Marathon),
    WK10 50miles – Long Run 20m
    WK11 34miles – Long Run 12m
    WK12 50miles – Long Run 20m
    WK13 34miles – Long Run 12m
    WK14 26miles – Long Run 8m
    WK15 9miles (Marathon Week)

WK1 Training Program (Jan 2nd till Jan 8th)

Monday Jan 2nd: Gym/Cross Train – Went to the gym and done a 45min light weight work out.

Tuesday Jan 3rd 3miles
    Distance: 3.15 mi
    Time:24:46
    Avg Pace:7:52 min/mi

Elevation Gain: 103 ft

Wednesday Jan 4th 6miles

Thursday Jan 5th 3miles

Friday: Rest

Sat Jan 7th 6miles

Sun Jan 8th 13miles

The Thursday run might need to change as I am joining a running club and they run Thursday nights and head out on the road and do a 9 or 10 mile run so maybe I will do my Wednesday night runs on Thursday nights.

Wednesday Jan 4th 6miles

Distance: 6.16 mi
    Time: 49:25
    Avg Pace: 8:02 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 7.5 mph
    Elevation Gain: 144 ft
    Calories: 727 C

Enjoyed the run tonight. Took it easy enough as the wind and rain was very strong and heavy and I was running into it most of the way. Headed out for a run from work tonight which I think I am going to do much more often as I was home and finished dinner before 7.30 which is just great

MYTD: 9.30 miles

Thursday Jan 5th 3miles

Distance: 3.26 mi
    Time: 24:42
    Avg Pace: 7:34 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 7.9 mph
    Elevation Gain: 126 ft

Another 3 miles under my belt. A lot easier than running last night as the weather was fine plus its only 3 miles.

I am still injured so I might need to get this looked at.. I used have a nerve shooting down my leg but starting at my lower back but now it feels like its starting on the outside of my thigh and running down through my leg.. NOT IMPRESSED at all about this as Ive taking 3 weeks off thinking I had a groin injury but more than likely is the nerve shifting. Anyway I used to take Anti-inflammatory so I might do a course to see does it improve.

MYTD: 12.57 miles

Sat Jan 7th 6miles pace

Distance: 6.13 mi
    Time: 45:12
    Avg Pace: 7:22 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 8.1 mph
    Elevation Gain: 112 ft

Still feeling this pain in my leg. I am just hoping is doesnt stop me from training.. When I run its fine but when I relax I can feel it. It was my first pace run and I really felt my fitness lacking. I am looking forward to running the same run the end of the month just to check out how my fitness is improving.

At the end of the run I couldnt wait to stop and was a little out of breath, goes to show what a couple of weeks off does to you.

Ran today for the first time in running tights, I have to say I was paranoid at first but they felt great. My legs felt stronger for some reason, may be its all in my head but I LIKE!

Tomorrow morning I am going to head to Pheonix park with a friend to do a 13km run at an easy pace - we will prob do it in about 1hr.10mina as we both want to take it easy.

MYTD: 18.70 miles

Sunday Jan 8th 13miles 8miles

Distance: 8.58 mi
    Time: 1:19:05
    Avg Pace: 9:13 min/mi

Went out running this morning with a friend from the gym. I knew I was going out on a nice enjoyable run. I loved this run this morning as I was running in Pheonix Park plus Sunday morning runs are so much better than running in the afternoon..... Great place to run Pheonix Park... My training plan said I needed to run 13miles but I didnt believe I had it in me on my first week back so I am going to do the 13 miles next week as my long run and clock the miles up slowly! All and all this week training has been very good and it really showed me I have a lot of work to do!!

MYTD: Distance: 27.28 miles

• Advertisement

Week 1 total miles 27.28 mi

My program for week 2 = 35 miles in total.

WK2 Training Program (Jan 9th to Jan 15th)

Monday Jan 9th: Gym/Cross Train
    Tuesday Jan 10th 3miles
    Wednesday Jan 11th 7miles pace
    Thursday Jan 12th 3miles
    Friday Jan 13th: Rest Rest Rest
    Sat Jan 14th 13 miles
    Sun Jan 15th 9miles (Slow run on Sunday with a friend in the park)

Monday Jan 9th: Gym/Cross Train - Instead of going the gym I decided I'd head out on a 40min walk. Just took it easy really!

Tuesday Jan 10th 3miles
    Distance: 3.30miles
    Time: 28.31
    Pace: 08.35mins/miles

Headed on my run out from work tonight and for some reason it hurt all the way. My feet were sore and at one stage I thought I needed to stop.. Just one of those evenings when It's not in you to run I think.

MYTD: 30.58 miles

Wednesday Jan 11th 7miles pace

Was not in the form to run Wednesday night so decided to hold off and do my Wed run tonight.

Thursday Jan 12th 7mile pace
    Distance: 7.39 mi
    Time: 57:51
    Avg Pace: 7:50 min/mi

Was meant to be off tomorrow night but going to do the 3 miles and catch up on my runs. I took Wednesday off so I am rested.

It look's like Rotterdam is not going to happen for me so looking into a marathon in April/May here in Ireland. I have friends visiting from Italy the week of Rotterdam which means I can't go :-( Flights and all were booked. Awh well maybe ill try and improve my 5km and 10km times over the next couple of months as Rotterdam is not happening..

MYTD: 37.97 miles

Friday Jan 13th 3miles

Distance: 3.50 mi
    Time: 26:22
    Avg Pace: 7:32 min/m

Back on schedule with my runs this week. Not sure if I will do my long run tomorrow or Sunday. I am meant to be running with a mate in the park on Sun so considering using this as my long run as the pace is a nice steady pace. Going on last week we are looking at 9:13 min/mi. We will see.

MYTD: 41.47 mi

Sat Jan 14th 7miles

My program should have said 7miles not 9miles for this week so lucky I checked this morning.

Distance: 7.11 mi
    Time: 51:21
    Avg Pace: 7:13 min/mi

I decided to do splits after reading other training logs as it really shows you how you do in different parts of the run such as up hills, flat, grass etc.

Summary 51:21.3
    1mile 7:19.8
    2miles 7:09.1
    3miles 7:04.2
    4miles 7:17.3
    5miles 7:19.3
    6miles 7:36.9
    7miles 6:52.4
    8 :42.2

Mile 1 was a little down hill whiles mile 2 was flat, mile 3 again a slight decent with flat whiles 4,5 both flat with 6&7 nearly all the way up hill. These are not steep hills but they are hills that never seem to end. I did push the last mile very hard and I felt my fitness level been very poor which means I have a lot of work to do!

I was speaking to a runner recently and she said I really need to get rid of some pounds as I am heavy enough for my height. I am 5.7 and about 12 1/2 stone. Training for the marathon I didnt really drop any weight so not sure how to do that.. I thinks its time to give up all the buns, cakes and sweets then. She suggested 10pound weight loss. Not sure really if I can do it.. I am not overweight at all but according to the runner I will do much better.

MYTD:Distance: 48.58 mi

Sun Jan 15th 13miles

Distance: 10.76 mi
    Time: 1:36:36
    Avg Pace: 8:58 min/mi

I was due to run 13miles today however I was out running with a friend who could only do 9miles, I got nearly 2 miles in before we meet but I was a little late so I didnt get the 4 miles needed to clock the 13miles. This was a very easy pace run for me but loved the run and chatting with a friend as the runs are so much more fun.

Afterwards stopped off at the coffee shop in Pheonix Park for a slice of cake and a coffee :-) even more enjoyable to run in the park knowing you are going to be able to relax right afterwards.

WK2 Miles: 32.07 mi

MYTD: 59.34 mile

Week Review:

> I really feel that my fitness level has a long way to go so looking forward to clocking the miles to get my fitness level up.

> Reading other posts and threads I can see that it's time to incorporate speed work etc to improve my runs. I am actually looking forward to that.

> I now have a running bag so I can run to work in the mornings which I am delighted about. It is 4.12 miles from door to door which is perfect as I have 2 4mile runs a weeks so I will get the done before work or after work.

Week3 (Jan16th to 23rd Jan -43 miles)

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 17th of Jan 4miles

Distance: 4.16 mi
    Time: 34:26
    Avg Pace: 8:17 min/mi

Another run home from work tonight. Don't know what the story is at the start of the week as my feet hurt like hell when I run... Took it easy enough as most off the run is incline.

My injury is still at me which is starting to worry me a bit as I can shift it..

Tomorrow evening I will get an 8mile run in after work.

MYTD: 63.50 miles

Wed Jan 18th 8miles

Distance: 8.21 mi
    Time: 1:09:32
    Avg Pace: 8:28 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 270 ft

I really found this run difficult from start to finish.. My injury has moved back into my hip... tomorrow it will prob be running down my leg. I am nearly sure it's an inflamed nerve. Going to go see a doc next week.

MYTD: 71.71 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck with the training. Your targets for the year seem similar to mine in that we both want to improve our race times although your target times are a bit faster than mine :) Hopefully your injury is not too serious but better to get it checked out.

Pity about Rotterdam falling through but at least you have a few alternatives and you can always earmark it again for some time again in the future.

Thank you beeduybe, best of luck to you too. It is all about PB for me this year so lets hope I can do it. Best of luck to you too as well. How is the training going for you to date?

I have to say I am finding it hard to back into the training since the 3 weeks off in December plus the injury is slowing me down a bit.. Hopefully that shifts soon.

• Advertisement

Training is going pretty well and injury free thanks. Concentrating on cross country racing for the first few months of the year in preparation for the road races in the summer.

I felt the same coming back to training last winter when I hibernated on account of the ice and snow but when I got back into the routine I was flying again. It just takes a bit of time.

Friday Jan 20th 4miles

Distance: 4.00 mi
    Time: 33:10
    Avg Pace: 8:18 min/mi

Ran home from work again and as expected found it very difficult to run the 4miles home... Not sure what is going on with me lately as the runs during the week are really hurting me... hopefully the injury clears up so I can get back on track.

Sat Jan 21st 6miles

Distance: 6.26 mi
    Time: 59.59
    Avg Pace: 9:43 min/mi

Went running with a friend from home as she has just started to run and she wanted to see how she would do running a 10km. Results are above which I am sure she is delighted with, looks like she got the running bug and will run her first 5km race soon and then her first 10km race. We ran in Pheonix park facing the wind and a good part of it running up the hills in the park.

I enjoyed the run and the pace was a nice relaxed pace for me which is what I needed after the pain I felt running yesterday after work.

Tomorrow I am going to try and get a 13mile in or maybe more depending on how I feel.

MYTD: 82.03 mi

beeduybe wrote: »
    Training is going pretty well and injury free thanks. Concentrating on cross country racing for the first few months of the year in preparation for the road races in the summer.

I felt the same coming back to training last winter when I hibernated on account of the ice and snow but when I got back into the routine I was flying again. It just takes a bit of time.

Glad to her the training is going well for you and more importantly you are injury free...

How are the cross country races going for you?

As I have only started running the summer gone I was wondering do you think the training is harder in the winter as for me I feel much heavier running this winter than I did in the summer (same weight tho)..

Good news is I am got an anti inflammatory as it looks like I have a trapped nerve in leg which means at least I am on the way to recovery.. With a trapped nerve which I have had before due to weight training and doing squats. It does take time to recover so for the moment I am going to continue clocking the miles without pushing myself..

Also, Rotterdam might be back on the cards:0) Very happy about this.. I am worried tho that I won't get the 3.15 time I want, actually I don't even think I will do a PB.. I am not sure if my ego can take that :-)

I am going to do some speed work once a week now from next week or the week after to see does it improve my fitness and speed..

Do you do any speed work?

topday wrote: »
    Glad to her the training is going well for you and more importantly you are injury free...

How are the cross country races going for you?

As I have only started running the summer gone I was wondering do you think the training is harder in the winter as for me I feel much heavier running this winter than I did in the summer (same weight tho)..

Good news is I am got an anti inflammatory as it looks like I have a trapped nerve in leg which means at least I am on the way to recovery.. With a trapped nerve which I have had before due to weight training and doing squats. It does take time to recover so for the moment I am going to continue clocking the miles without pushing myself..

Also, Rotterdam might be back on the cards:0) Very happy about this.. I am worried tho that I won't get the 3.15 time I want, actually I don't even think I will do a PB.. I am not sure if my ego can take that :-)

I am going to do some speed work once a week now from next week or the week after to see does it improve my fitness and speed..

Do you do any speed work?

Cross country races are going pretty well. Got a new 5 mile PB today so can't complain with that :D

I can't say that I feel heavier during the winter. Maybe it's just the colder weather / extra layers that's making you feel that?

Definitely take it easy with the recovery. Better to have ran Rotterdam and not PB'ed than not to have ran it at all because of injury :)

I done speed training with a few others on the track last year when we were training for the Dublin Marathon and felt it really brought me on. I am still trying to do a speed session once a week now and usually find myself doing it on the treadmill as I can get to the gym at lunchtime and also better monitor my pace without going too fast or slowing down.

I've been reading Daniel's Running Formula and been doing some of the speed sessions / tempo runs recommended in that and seems to be doing me some good :pac:

Sun Jan 22nd Long Run

Distance: 3.61miles
    Time: 29.33
    Pace:8.10mins/miles

Distance: 12miles
    Time: 1:45:7
    Avg Pace: 8:80min/mi

Total Miles: 15.61miles

This morning I was running again with a friend in Pheonix Park. Great running and enjoyable run today. I ran 3.61miles before meeting my friend as I wanted to get in 14miles plus today... The trapped nerve played up a bit but it looks like it is on the way to recovery.

Week3 Miles: 38.92 miles. Steady mileage increase as planned and starting to feel a little better on the longer runs..
    My diet needs to improve so from Monday I am going to get the diet in order.... I might start writing about that here as well as it will motivate me to keep the diet on track!!

Races: I am going to sign up for a 5km, 10km and Half Marathon over the next 6 weeks - this will really keep me on top of the training..

MYTD: 98.26 mi

Tuesday Jan 24th - 4 miles

Distance: 4.40 mi
    Time: 33:25
    Avg Pace: 7:35 min/mi

Finally starting to feel like I am back on track with the running. The injury feels like its is moving on which I am delighted about. I will give it a couple more days before I say it has cleared completely.

This coming Sat, I am going to do the Howth Ring run which has some hard hills so can't wait for this. Tomorrow night an 8mile run and Thursday 4miles and Sunday a light 5mile run.

MYTD:102.67 mi

Wednesday Jan 2th

Distance: 6.80 mi
    Time: 1:01:06
    Avg Pace: 8:59 min/mi

Started this run really not in the form however started off a little fast and then again mile 2 and 3 I was really pushing it. 1st mile in 7.43.6, 2nd mile in 7.13.2 and 3rd mile 7.12.8. Mile 4 was okay at 8.50 but again I started in the 5th mile I needed to stop. I had to walk for about half a mile. Stopped the Garmin and just walk slowly thinking to myself why was I pushing the first 3 miles knowing I wanted to run 8miles and not in the form in the first place.. It rained heavy and the wind nearly killed me it was that cold.

Friday Jan 27th

Distance: 6.83 mi
    Time: 57:21
    Avg Pace: 8:24 min/mi

After Wednesday night run I learnt to slow the hell down and pace myself. I really enjoyed this run home and didn't push it at all. I was thinking just enjoy the run keep within the 8min/mile pace...

Tomorrow I plan to head out and do 13miles around Howth Ring... Should be difficult with all the hills so not planning on going for a time but more enjoying the run and surroundings..

MYTD: 116.29 mi

Sat Jan 28th

Distance: 13.36 mi
    Time: 1:59:16
    Avg Pace: 8:57 min/mi

Headed out running around Howth Ring this morning, it was a great morning for running. We took the run nice and easy and the hill was really great... Even running around the cliff was excellent.. Might do this run next week again!!

MYTD: 129.65 mi

Week 4 Miles: 31.39 mi
    I clocked less miles than expected last week however I was feeling tired so I took it easy and only ran as many miles as I belived I had in me. I am planning to pick the miles up week 5.

Week 5
    Monday Jan 31st

Distance: 6.82 mi
    Time: 55:42
    Avg Pace: 8:10 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 248 ft

Picking up the miles this week as I missed a run last week so I am going to add one or two miles on all my runs this week to try and catch up... Nice run home from work again, took the pace nice and steady.
    Started a new diet last week which involves eating more during the day, a lot more fruit and veg, carbs at lunch as well as drinking more water and eating less choc and sweets. I am trying to cut out all the crap and its going well I must say.
    Hopefully this helps with my energy levels after work when I generally do my runs.

MYTD Distance: 136.48 mi

Jan total miles: 136.48 mi

• Advertisement

Wed Feb 1st

Distance: 6.88 mi
    Time: 53:29
    Avg Pace: 7:46 min/mi

A normal run home from work on Wednesday night. Kept my pace between 7.30min/miles and 8min/miles. Felt good doing this as I didnt want to push myself to much as I had plans to join a club on Thursday and go running 10miles.

Thurs Feb 2nd

Distance: 9.74 mi
    Time: 1:11:43
    Avg Pace: 7:22 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 8.1 mph
    Elevation Gain: 262 ft

Went running with the club tonight and just loved it. I ran with them twice in November but as I got injured and I only started back tonight. It was not easy but I really enjoyed the run. What I found is that my mind was more controlled and this really helped me along the run. I was thinking about the run and how it will help speed me up over time and what these runs will do to my fitness.. This really help me when the guy picked up the speed at certain points.

We finished the run and then we done some strides - my first time doing these and I loved them. We done 4 in total but not sure of the distance. It was hard for me as recovery took time.. some of the other lads recovered really quick. The only thing is I was faster or as fast as them - well over 4 but not a hope could I have done more.

MYTD: 153.10 mi

Off Friday :-) Happy Days and Sat I am planning to do a 25km run with a friend. Sunday I have planned just to run 6miles with Monday week a rest day...

Advertisement