Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here’s hoping for 2012 - Setting PB to beating PB

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Monday 12th of March – Off

Tuesday 13th of March

I went to the gym to do a light recovery run as I’d a busy weekend running (32.5miles Sat/Sun) and I was a little tired. I was meant to go the track and do speed work but I really couldn’t so I did a bit of speed work on the treadmill – 3.4 miles only - increasing and decreasing the speed.

Wednesday 14th of March

I went out and ran 6.49 miles @ 7.48min/miles – 50:32 mins.
    It was a nice run around the area that I live, nothing to report!

Thursday 15th of March

Went out running with the lads at the club last night – It was a difficult run for me as they guys kicked off from the start – 2 of the runners are both under 3hrs marathon runners but I wanted to keep them in my sight. I could see them in front of me until the last mile which I was really happy with – They arrive at the gate in around 63/64 min and I in 65min. My first 9.27 miles was at an average pace of 7.034 min miles – the last mile around the track was a slower pace but overall the distance was 10.13 miles at 1.12.18 – average pace 7.12min miles.

Below you can see the first 9 miles.

Time, Distance, Pace
    1 7:50.4 1.00 7:49
    2 7:04.8 1.00 7:05
    3 6:42.0 1.00 6:41
    4 6:43.2 1.00 6:44
    5 6:41.9 1.00 6:42
    6 6:48.8 1.00 6:49
    7 7:06.2 1.00 7:07
    8 7:15.9 1.00 7:15
    9 7:13.4 1.00 7:14

Friday 16th of March – Off

Plans for Sat & Sun!

My plan for the weekend is to run 20-22miles on Sat morning 7AM start and Sun I plan to do a charity 5km race at home in Drogheda. I’m meant to also doing 10miles Sunday so what I might do is run the 5km and not race it and then later that evening go out and run 7miles. Anyway we will see!!

MYTD: 389.55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done on the half marathon PB, training is going really well for you.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well done on the half marathon PB, training is going really well for you.

Thank you very much pconn062, really enjoyed the half marathon as the course was great... I just plan to keep pushing until I hit my targets for 2012. How is your training going?

Sat March 17th - Long Run

Distance: 20.74 mi
    Time: 2:46:39
    Avg Pace: 8:02 min/mi

From start to finish I wasn't focused at all or ready for this run. I was holding off all morning saying I will go tomorrow or I didn't eat I should wait!! I was hoping to run 21miles however I gave up more or less for the last 0.26 miles...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160499490

Tuesday March 20th
    Distance: 6.89 mi
    Time: 50:18
    Avg Pace: 7:18 min/mi

I enjoyed this run a lot as I found a nice route to run that is very straight and I can focus on the distance ahead of me. Run up Collins Avenue and back around to Griffith Avenue - I think I will use this route when I am looking to keep focused on a faster pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160499468

Thursday March 22nd
    Distance: 10.12 mi
    Time: 1:11:59
    Avg Pace: 7:07 min/mi

Another fast 10 mile for me with the guys from the club tonight.. I enjoyed it again tonight and I can honestly say I found it easier than the week before. The first 9 miles were the run and the last mile a nice cool down... I am just hoping these faster 10 miles runs will stand for me at Rotterdam... here is is hoping!

MYTD:423.94 mi

Can't believe I have run over 423.94 miles since Jan. This is almost double the distance I ran in my training for Dublin (Still don't know how I crossed the line in 3.29) - I think if I had of known the real work needed I would not have finished.....

Sat March 24th Long Run

Distance: 21.01 mi
    Time: 2:44:31 (never stopped the watch so it was 2.43:23)
    Avg Pace: 7:50 min/mi

I found this run easier than last week I have to say. I missed all the traffic lights this morning on the run and over the 21miles I stopped the garmin a number of times which accounted for 5mins or so!! Not great. I dont generally have any gels or drinks with me when I run so I stopped at mile 14 for a drink in a shop - that really helped me I have to say. My last long run is next Sat so I will buy gels to see how I feel with them... That leaves me with 2 weeks tappering for Rotterdam.

I lost my focus in March so I am just hoping that I didnt blow it and not hit a PB. We will see!!

MYTD: 444.95 mi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

topday wrote: »
    Thank you very much pconn062, really enjoyed the half marathon as the course was great... I just plan to keep pushing until I hit my targets for 2012. How is your training going?

It's going good, cheers. I'm aiming for the same half marathon time as you just achieved, might have to wait till summer to get it though!

Sun March 25th

Distance: 8.00 mi
    Time: 1:05:09
    Avg Pace: 8:09 min/mi

8miles the day after Sat 21miles so I was not very motivated to run the 10 miles I wanted to run. After two miles I decided 8 was enough...

Monday March 26th - Off

Tuesday March 27th

Distance: 6.65 mi
    Time: 53:38
    Avg Pace: 8:04 min/mi

Tuesdays run was straight after work and I really hadn't the push at all to run... Miles 5 and 6 were prob two of the slowest miles I have run since I started training for Rotterdam.

Wednesday March 28th

Went out with a colleague this evening after work for a run. She has just started to run so tonight was her first training session. We ran 3.40miles at a slow pace whiles chatting all the way. I just wanted to see could she run the distance and next time we will push a little harder for longer (step by step)

Tomorrow night (Thursday night run at the club)

MYTD: 463.00 mi

Thursday March 29th

Headed out running tonight with the guys from the clubs - it was a lovely evening and it felt great starting off at 7PM whiles it is still bright. Only 3 of us tonight at the run as the other guys didnt turn up, only 3 of us new guys.

We ran 10.12 miles tonight - 9.29 miles (62.842 mins) from gate to gate and the other miles just as a cool down - 10.12 miles (1:12:22.2)

Distance: 10.14 mi
    Time: 1:12:22
    Avg Pace: 7:08 min/mi

1 8:06.0 1.00 8:04
    2 7:28.4 1.00 7:27
    3 7:03.5 1.00 7:04
    4 6:35.8 1.00 6:36
    5 6:32.4 1.00 6:33
    6 6:39.2 1.00 6:38
    7 7:03.2 1.00 7:04
    8 6:45.3 1.00 6:45
    9 6:36.4 1.00 6:38

The first 9 miles were at a pace of 6.81 min miles which I am happy with and the last mile was a slow relaxed recovery miles...

MYTD: 473.14 mi

It's been a couple of weeks since I logged any training sessions but I plan to get them all up this evening....
    Training slipped a lot mid March to date but I still managed to get the runs in but not as structured as I'd have liked... only 4 days till Rotterdam... Can't wait.

With regards to the time I'd like. I still havent set my mind on what I should go for! I did the Meath Half marathon March 4th in 1.29.54 and my longs run were 18.5 miles x 2, 20 miles x 2, 20.5 miles x 1 and 21 miles x 1. I ran these at an average pace of 8.00 min miles...

What I'd like to do is run a 3.15/3.20 marathon but I am not sure..

Any advice guys? The nerves are at me!!!

Should I do negative splits and if so how to I work out the pace from the first half to the second??

My last two weeks training has been exactly to the book by taking it back a lot and resting as much as possible but running some of the miles at Marathon pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck tomorrow topday. Hope everything goes well for you :)

• Advertisement

I don't have the official results but I think I was in and around 3.12. I never stopped the garmin... If that is so I knocked almost 17 mins off my PB at Dublin.

Thank you all for the advice and support here on Boards.ie as it was down to your suggestions and advice on what I should do to achieve a PB... I set a target of 3.15 for Rotterdam and got 3.12.

I will post the official time later :-)

Chip time 3:10:53. Great running :D

beeduybe wrote: »
    Chip time 3:10:53. Great running :D

Thank you for that :) even better than I expected. Very happy with that I really am. delighted. :):):)

I thought I'd post my split times for Rotterdam. My last 5km were the fastest 5km of the marathon.. But all and all nice and even..

Net split times (difference)
    5 Kilometer 22:28 (22:28)
    10 Kilometer
    15 Kilometer 1:08:12
    20 Kilometer 1:31:10 (22:58)
    Half marathon 1:36:13
    25 Kilometer 1:54:03 (22:53)
    30 Kilometer 2:17:02 (22:59)
    35 Kilometer 2:39:41 (22:39)
    40 Kilometer 3:01:46 (22:05)

Net time 3:10:53

The total miles clocked during my training for Rotterdam is 503 miles from Jan 2nd to April 14th.

Recovery Plan

After one week off running tomorrow I will start back training. I plan to do a recovery plan for 4 weeks. I am looking forward to getting some runs in and get the legs moving again..... I plan to really take it easy as well as I am going to head back the gym for weight training 2 to 3 times per week.

TARGETS AND PB

Current Time:

1) Dublin Half Marathon 2011 – 1.34.44

NEW PB - Generali Pan Europe Meath Spring Half Marathon March 2012 - 1.29.54

2) Dublin City Marathon 2011 – 3.29.26

New PB - Rotterdam Marathon April 15th - 3:10:53

3) Jingle Bells 5KM 2011 – 20.26

Targets 2012:
    1) Rotterdam 2012 – 3.15
    2) Dublin City Marathon 2012 - 2.59
    3) 5KM - 18.30
    4) 10KM – 38.00
    5) Half Marathon – 1.20/1.25

MYTD: 533.46 mi

Recovery
    Monday April 23rd

I went to the gym and done a 2km (1.24miles) run on the treadmill. It was nothing really but I just wanted to get my legs moving a bit. To be honest I really don't like running on the treadmill however I plan to do a good bit of my recovery runs apart from the weekend on the treadmill.

Then over to the gym floor to do some lights weights and stretching

Wednesday April 25th

3 mile run on the treadmill again this morning at 7AM. I enjoyed this run and took it nice and easy for the first 2miles and then pushed it a little - Just wanted to see had I a kick at all.
    The old injury (trapped nerve) lower back is starting to appear again ever since Rotterdam so that is starting to worry me a little.

After the run over to the floor again to do some light weights and stretching.

Core work, I was speaking to a runner in Rotterdam from Ireland and he asked me what core work was I doing!!- My answer was none! He did advise that I start incorporating some core work into my training at least 3 times per week so at the moment I am doing some research online on what is best and what I can fit in.

New Book

Advanced Marathoning is the book that I want to buy now. Looking forward to getting this and reading it so I can at least try and hit a sub 3hr marathon in Dublin (here is hoping) Let's hope I can do it!!

MYTD: 537.7

Finding it really difficult to get back in to training. I need a new target or my training is going to fall right back - I am even finding it hard to do the recovery plan.. actually I am not doing it, I am just going out when I feel like it an doing a run.

Sat April 28th

3 miles treadmill - (22mins)
    Then head over to do some light weights. After the light weights back on to the treadmill for another 3 miles - (25mins)

Wednesday May 2nd

6.65 miles -(54 mins)
    Ran home from work and took it really easy - I really enjoyed this run on the road and it was my first road run since Rotterdam. The weather was lovely and a perfect evening for a run.

Thursday May 3rd

6.22 mi (46.24)

Ran after work and again the weather was amazing and nothing to report!

MYTD: 555.57 mi

It has been a while since I posted. I have been training after taking most of May and June off serious running. I was doing the odd run but nothing structured.

Training is going good for Dublin marathon and I have achieved some PB along the way - Frank Duffy 66mins and yesterday the Dublin Half 1.23.34 (1.23.20). Knocked almost 6 mins of my PB so well happy!

I am clocking the miles since July and getting back into things

Since July 1st to date: 362.38 mi - I dont think I have clocked enough miles to run a sub 3 in Dublin which was what I hoped but I am perfectly happy to try a Sub 3 next year.

MYTD: 954.72 miles.

Ran the Athlone 20 mile race last Sunday - It was a great day for a race I have to say - So I managed to cross the line in 2.11.55. And felt good to be honest. I push from mile 9 with an average mile pace around 6.30. Overall the pace was 6.42.

Now I am not sure what to do and go and try for a sub3, I really want to do it but I need to set my mind clear very soon so I know what pace to go at..

Please help, what should I do! Based on my times am I able for this!

My training has been good and this time round a lot of speed work, high intensity training as well..

Now I am not sure what to do and go and try for a sub3, I really want to do it but I need to set my mind clear very soon so I know what pace to go at..

My training has been good and this time round a lot of speed work, high intensity training as well..

Welcome back topday. Well done on your time for the half. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape for sub 3.

The Sub 3 Support Thread might be a good place to start looking for advice and read about other peoples experiences.

Just out of interest have you managed to hit the target times you set for yourself for 5k and 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It has been a while since I posted. I have been training after taking most of May and June off serious running. I was doing the odd run but nothing structured.

Training is going good for Dublin marathon and I have achieved some PB along the way - Frank Duffy 66mins and yesterday the Dublin Half 1.23.34 (1.23.20). Knocked almost 6 mins of my PB so well happy!

I am clocking the miles since July and getting back into things

Since July 1st to date: 362.38 mi - I dont think I have clocked enough miles to run a sub 3 in Dublin which was what I hoped but I am perfectly happy to try a Sub 3 next year.

MYTD: 954.72 miles.

That's a big improvement from the Frank Duffy to the Half. Would you put this down to any specific sessions you did between the both or did the 10 mile just not go as planned? The fact that you're running faster over 13.1 miles than 10 miles bodes well for your endurance. Have you gotten much long runs done since the half? If you've been in putting some good marathon specific work then you're recent times would suggest that going under 3 hours would be well within your capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Ran the Athlone 20 mile race last Sunday - It was a great day for a race I have to say - So I managed to cross the line in 2.11.55. And felt good to be honest. I push from mile 9 with an average mile pace around 6.30. Overall the pace was 6.42.

Man you ran 20 miles at 6:42 with the last half of those at 6:30... sub 3 is 6:50 pace. You'll walk it.

Well done to all who ran Dublin this year and I hope you all achieved what you set out to do! I know it’s been ages since I have posted here but it is where it all started for me this year so I wanted to post a quick update on how I am getting on with my running and how Dublin marathon went!!

Sub3 achieved.

2.53.05 – I am so happy that this happened for me on the day. The journey involved from running a 3.10 earlier this year in Rotterdam to a 2.53 in Dublin is massive. It has become a completely different race. It hurt more, I was a lot more focused from start to finish, I took gels every 30 mins, water at every station – the only thing was that I couldn’t find a group to run with as it was very spread out and when I did find a group I needed to push on as the pace wasn’t right. I felt very strong until mile 22 when I was thinking just slow down a bit and enjoy the last 4 miles but snapped out of that very quickly.

What I have learnt from Dublin 2012 and all the training is that I can achieve a faster time with more structured training and improving my 5km, 10km and half marathon times. From now till January I am going to try and concentrate on 5km/10km times.

If I can dream which I seem to be good at I am setting myself a target of 2.45 for Dublin 2013!

TARGETS AND PB for me over the year - I have to try and get a PB for both a 5km and 10km.

Times:

Dublin Half Marathon 2011 – 1.34.44

NEW PB - Generali Pan Europe Meath Spring Half Marathon March 2012 - 1.29.54

NEW PB - Dublin Half Marathon September 2012 - 1.23.34

Dublin City Marathon 2011 – 3.29.26

New PB - Rotterdam Marathon April 15th - 3:10:53
    New PB – Dublin Marathon Oct 29th – 2.53.05

3) Jingle Bells 5KM 2011 – 20.26

Targets 2012:
    1) Rotterdam 2012 – 3.15 - DONE (3.10.53)
    2) Dublin City Marathon 2012 - 2.59 DONE (2.53.05)
    3) 5KM - 18.30
    4) 10KM – 38.00
    5) Half Marathon – 1.20/1.25 DONE (1.23.34)

Now I need to find a 5km and 10km race to achieve PBs for the year and that is me done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Now I need to find a 5km and 10km race to achieve PBs for the year and that is me done!!

Surely jingle bells again?

Great progress there, pity you were keeping all your training secret! ;-)

belcarra wrote: »
    Surely jingle bells again?

Great progress there, pity you were keeping all your training secret! ;-)

Thanks Belcarra, I surely will do Jingle Bells again! Enjoyed that last year.
    I know I should have updated my training program but it really wasnt very structured. I took all of May and June off running more or less due to the injury I had whiles training for Rotterdam so that cleared up! From July onwards I was running anything from 35 to 45 miles per week average... only dropped down when I wasnt well or needed a little break which was not often at all.

How is your training going? Feel strong?

Advertisement