Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog peeing on everything &everyone!!

• 03-12-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

My pup is 9 months old and has just in the last 2 weeks started to lift his leg to pee. He is peeing on every tree and lamp post we pass, I know thats normal and dogs will mark their teritory.

The problem I am having is he is now peeing on people!! I had him at the dog park today and he pee'd on one lady and tried to pee on another I moved him in time he also pee'd on my leg. Any ideas on how to stop him from doing this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just don't let him pee on anyone. If you see him lifting the leg distract him by saying AAhhh! and giving a tug on the lead.

I'd also curb his tendency to wee on every tree and lamp that you pass if I were you; my neighbour's dog does this and it drives me up the wall because I want some cardio with my dogs but we spend half the walk waiting for him. When I was minding him for a week I much improved him by pulling him (a steady pull away, not yanking him) and saying 'come on'. He soon learned that when there was pressure on his lead he'd better keep walking because that's what I was going to do. He still drives my neighbour up the wall, but I tell her that it's her own fault.

So, yeah, right now it's 'what dogs do', but just think what the next 10+ years of walks will be like if he wants to stop every 10 feet to mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

When dogs learn to cock their leg it really does become their favourite pasttime! (Bit like fellas when they discover their willies, you just can't get them to let go!) So from that point of view he's being totally normal, including peeing on people.

Just because he can pee on everything doesn't mean he should, my lab x would stop every 10ft on a walk if he was let but like Kylith I don't let him. It drives me to distraction but it'd also result in the other 5 dogs wanting to pee aswell, a 2 mile walk would take an hour instead of 30 mins.

I taught Oscar a 'go pee' command, and make him take a leak before we head off and if he tries to stop on the way I'll say 'Ahhh' sharply and just not stop, if he's been good then I'll pick a spot and offer him to 'go pee' but it's never the same spot twice and not every walk.

Advertisement