Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build wont detect monitor. [solved]

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Just after finish my internal build but when I boot it up the monitor doesn't do anything, just stays blank. I have it connected via hdmi from my graphics card. When I did the external build a few hours ago it came on fine and display worked but not now :confused:
    Graphics card does seem a bit loose but there are no further means of me securing it I dont think. I also tried connecting the monitor to VGA on the mobo but got the same result.

Perhaps I have a connection in the wrong place or something. First time building a pc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Just after finish my internal build but when I boot it up the monitor doesn't do anything, just stays blank. I have it connected via hdmi from my graphics card. When I did the external build a few hours ago it came on fine and display worked but not now :confused:
    Graphics card does seem a bit loose but there are no further means of me securing it I dont think. I also tried connecting the monitor to VGA on the mobo but got the same result.

Perhaps I have a connection in the wrong place or something. First time building a pc.

Did you use the stand-offs in the case?
    Have you tried DVI? Does it work without the graphics card, straight into the mobo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Did you use the stand-offs in the case?
    Have you tried DVI? Does it work without the graphics card, straight into the mobo?

I have used the stand-offs but the mobo wouldnt aline on them fully so I left 2 of them without screws.

Tried DVI and straight into the mobo with no luck. I also noticed that the mouse and keyboard arent lighting up so that could be related.

I have used the stand-offs but the mobo wouldn't aline on them fully so I left 2 of them without screws.

Tried DVI and straight into the mobo with no luck. I also noticed that the mouse and keyboard arent lighting up so that could be related.

I'd be stumped from here on out in your position, Double check all your power connections and make sure everything's okay, nothings touching where it shouldn't etc.

Some of the other lads on here should reply soon, they'd give better diagnostic advice than I can from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Took out the graphics card, checked my connections, put it back in and then noticed I had no atx12v power connector plugged in. Turned it on again and now works :)

Quite silly of me. Thanks for your help and fast response Eamon, cheers.

Took out the graphics card, checked my connections, put it back in and then noticed I had no atx12v power connector plugged in. Turned it on again and now works :)

Quite silly of me. Thanks for your help and fast response Eamon, cheers.

No worries man, I'm all too familiar with those feelings of panic and despair! It's usually something small and silly though ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement