Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other rat/rodent lovers out there?

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey, was just wondering if anyone else out there keeps rats or other small rodents?

I've got four right now, three girls and one boy, and am hoping to get a few more after Christmas. I've got a part of the shed converted for them and plan to breed from one of the dumbo females because she's just got the sweetest personality and cutest little face.

Does anyone know of any breeders in Dublin? Only one of my rats (the male) is from a pet store, and he was really just rehomed to me as he was a pet of one of the staff there. I wouldn't generally buy from a pet shop because their rats aren't as socialized and you don't really know where they came from or what their history is.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't have any at the mo but have had gerbils and hamsters over the years, never got around to having rats though. I wonder if the Irish Rat Club is still going might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv had a few hamsters and a gerbil over the years but nothing at the moment. Would love more hamsters. Would love a family of rats but no rats are allowed come into this house. :rolleyes: The few rats I have held have always been so gentle and affectionate, beautiful animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My vet has a white pet rat called Basil who was brought in by its owner.He has been looking for a home for ages :(.If anyone can offer him a home please pm me xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I had pet rats for decades, when I lived in Germany. A bit of a pity, that my last pair could not move over to Ireland with me. I sort of miss them, they were always a great craic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I love rats! I have two girls, Tola and Cash. :) They're my first rats and I wouldn't be without them now - amazing creatures. :o

Have had gerbils, dwarf hamsters and Syrians over the years too. I love the smallies. :p

The only reputable rat breeder that I know of is in Cork - Bongo Fury rattery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Had rats for about 5-6 years myself and converted a lot of my friends to them. Lovely, personable little creatures if you treat them right - people tend to be more freaked out by the idea than the reality.
    They will tend to break your heart with the short lifespan and vet visits at times though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

vampire of kilmainham - I have removed your two posts as they are not in keeping with the rat/rodent lovers thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have two rats, eight gerbils and a hamster at the moment. The rats are my favourite and they are both boys (I've kept females in the past but not bred any).
    5a8b6b39.jpg
    I'd recommend rats as pets over any of the other rodents due to their gentle nature and nicer personalities. These two wander around the house most evenings and just like to sit on my lap watching telly. They don't dig in the plant pots like the females which is nice.

Good luck with the breeding - post pics of the kittens when you have them, dumbo varietes are very cute! Check out the Irish Rat Forum - its a little quiet but if you need advice they are great.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

Thansk for the recommendations guys! :D Yes, our little forum is quiet, but it's getting busier! :)

Laura
    Bongo Fury

Advertisement