Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ok this build please?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Is that the gen 3 z68 board? get one that'll support ivybridge. I wouldnt go for the cheapest "value" RAM either, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Is that the gen 3 z68 board? get one that'll support ivybridge. I wouldnt go for the cheapest "value" RAM either, but that's just me.

I think by the time he's upgrading processor he'll need a different socket to what's around today and need a new mobo anyway. The whole Ivybridge thing only really is useful if you're a serial upgrader interested in the cutting edge.

Point taken on the RAM.

nesf wrote: »
    I think by the time he's upgrading processor he'll need a different socket to what's around today and need a new mobo anyway. The whole Ivybridge thing only really is useful if you're a serial upgrader interested in the cutting edge.

Point taken on the RAM.

Yeah you're right, with overclocking I'd give the 2500k a 5 year life-span easy. There is the option of buying the cheaest cpu for that socket now, and then upgrading to ivybridge after but if he's not crazy on tech like you say that wouldnt server much of a purpose either!

Yeah you're right, with overclocking I'd give the 2500k a 5 year life-span easy. There is the option of buying the cheaest cpu for that socket now, and then upgrading to ivybridge after but if he's not crazy on tech like you say that wouldnt server much of a purpose either!

Yeah I'm torn about getting him a 2500K or not, he has zero interest in overclocking, though I could do it for him I suppose.

Yeah I'm torn about getting him a 2500K or not, he has zero interest in overclocking, though I could do it for him I suppose.

That sounds like a good idea, maybe a really stable one to 4.2 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Except for the PSU being overkill - which you have reason for - the build looks fine. I'm not sure how reliable ASRock are. I know everyone here uses them, but I'm very much a Gigabyte person, when it comes to motherboards (they were excellent for 1366 at least).

Everything else looks good. Nice choice on the case.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Nice choice on the case.

Yeah it was that or the Corsair 400R but we both prefer the aesthetics of the Fractal Design case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah it was that or the Corsair 400R but we both prefer the aesthetics of the Fractal Design case.

corsair is great m8. my 500R looks way better in real life, then in pictures. 500R is same design as 400R, just with added usb 3.0

corsair is great m8. my 500R looks way better in real life, then in pictures. 500R is same design as 400R, just with added usb 3.0

He saw my Define XL case though and *wants that except smaller* etc.

That sounds like a good idea, maybe a really stable one to 4.2 or something?

Yeah, easily doable even on relatively modest cooling. So long as it's completely stable and don't have to spend all my time on the phone fixing it etc. ;)

• Advertisement

Define R3, perhaps? (Dunno what the price on that is like)

Serephucus wrote: »
    Define R3, perhaps? (Dunno what the price on that is like)

A tenner extra. Torn between the two, I think the Arc is the smaller of the two but the R3 has sound proofing while the Arc doesn't. Etc.

Edit: I might go with the R3 thinking about it, he'd probably appreciate a quieter machine.

The Arc is nice, but I think you get more for your money with the R3.

It also looks a lot nicer, IMO.

Advertisement