Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview in East Donegal

Options
  • 03-12-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Evening all,

We just got a Philips Series 5000 TV and aim to receive Freeview since the TV has a built in digital tuner. However as of yet no Freeview reception but excellent Saorview reception. Could someone tell me the transmitter names or frequencies? We're in the Foyle area.

James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Isn't the Freeview signal from Limavady for the Foyle area?

Don't think its on Sherrifs Mountain, where there is also a transmitter.

Not sure if this map proves my point, or else tells me I'm wrong!

http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php?c=6

You click on the transmitter for coverage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 thejamesrankin

Yes Limavady is the one we're trying to get, seems to be getting some work done to it. Our aerial is probably not facing it so I'll get up into the attic tomorrow and turn it around to face Carrigans or New Buildings, I think it's facing Killea at the moment. We have no obstructions we live on the bank of the Foyle and the only mountains to be seen is the one on the other side of Killea and Derry and the ones in Tyrone. Shouldn't need a booster or anything. The Saorview channels we have received so far are great, RTE 2 is HD (looks amazing), RTE Jr looks fun too LOL.

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Im thinking of buying a Saor view box of of ebay, one of the cheaper ones, it said on the description that if you could pick up rte1 network2 and tg4 that you most likely should get saor view digital signal fine although maybe have to move the aerial.

We live in the Convoy/ Raphoe area and pick up these stations but not tv3 but the reception isn't perfect and not really that good for tg4 so i wonder will we have to change the aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Yes Limavady is the one we're trying to get, seems to be getting some work done to it. Our aerial is probably not facing it so I'll get up into the attic tomorrow and turn it around to face Carrigans or New Buildings, I think it's facing Killea at the moment. We have no obstructions we live on the bank of the Foyle and the only mountains to be seen is the one on the other side of Killea and Derry and the ones in Tyrone. Shouldn't need a booster or anything. The Saorview channels we have received so far are great, RTE 2 is HD (looks amazing), RTE Jr looks fun too LOL.

James.

I don't think you'll freeview yet. Although some people in Donegal can get it, you're probably in the wrong area. Most people in Derry City can't get Freeview.

Sherriff's Mountain will be the last transmitter in the UK to be switched to digital, in mid 2012. You should get Freeview then as it's probably in your line of sight (it's the hill on the Derry side of Killea).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 thejamesrankin

Technique wrote: »
    I don't think you'll freeview yet. Although some people in Donegal can get it, you're probably in the wrong area. Most people in Derry City can't get Freeview.

Sherriff's Mountain will be the last transmitter in the UK to be switched to digital, in mid 2012. You should get Freeview then as it's probably in your line of sight (it's the hill on the Derry side of Killea).

Actually my Aunt who lives a view miles up the road can get Freeview from Limavady and she lives in an area with lots of trees.

We'll chance it with the aerial tomorrow. Also Derry is an area that can be prone to lots of interference, so many networks of wireless transmissions and buildings.

Of course we'll be getting the true experience next year when Sheriff Mt. switches over, it's nakedly in line with us. Also the same goes for the big tall one in Strabane.

James.

• Advertisement

Actually my Aunt who lives a view miles up the road can get Freeview from Limavady and she lives in an area with lots of trees.

We'll chance it with the aerial tomorrow. Also Derry is an area that can be prone to lots of interference, so many networks of wireless transmissions and buildings.

Of course we'll be getting the true experience next year when Sheriff Mt. switches over, it's nakedly in line with us. Also the same goes for the big tall one in Strabane.

James.

Let us know how you get on with repositioning the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Im thinking of buying a Saor view box of of ebay, one of the cheaper ones, it said on the description that if you could pick up rte1 network2 and tg4 that you most likely should get saor view digital signal fine although maybe have to move the aerial.

We live in the Convoy/ Raphoe area and pick up these stations but not tv3 but the reception isn't perfect and not really that good for tg4 so i wonder will we have to change the aerial?

You should get a good enough Saorview signal from the 'Letterkenny' transmitter on CH53. I can get a full signal 15Km away on the other side of Ballybofey with an indoor aerial. If you are in a dip you could also try Holywell Hill ( CH30 Horizontal) or even Ballybofey (CH47 Vertical). See the map.

sesswhat wrote: »
    You should get a good enough Saorview signal from the 'Letterkenny' transmitter on CH53. I can get a full signal 15Km away on the other side of Ballybofey with an indoor aerial. If you are in a dip you could also try Holywell Hill ( CH30 Horizontal) or even Ballybofey (CH47 Vertical). See the map.

Yea the Letterkenny transmitter on that map looks the closest, hopefully we can get it with the aerial in the attack with out having to buy a new digital aerial. Might leave it for a while yet and see do the boxes come down in price a bit more first, i know lidl had them at a good price a while back but havent been in since

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We could get RTE1 & 2 and TG4 on analogue but not TV3. We did however get it via Sky. But with Saorview now being transmitted from the mast outside of Stranorlar we can pick TV3 up fine now. Never had to move the aerial. Just tried it one day and hey presto all the channels were there. I had a compatible TV though.

Yea the Letterkenny transmitter on that map looks the closest, hopefully we can get it with the aerial in the attack with out having to buy a new digital aerial. Might leave it for a while yet and see do the boxes come down in price a bit more first, i know lidl had them at a good price a while back but havent been in since

Saorview is transmtted over UHF just like your existing analogue signals. The 'digital aerial' is a myth invented by hucksters. Your existing attic aerial is almost certainly a UHF one so try it first, as you say. If you have problems at that stage, there are plenty more options and the terrestrial forum will sort you out. :)

• Advertisement

Saorview is transmtted over UHF just like your existing analogue signals. The 'digital aerial' is a myth invented by hucksters. Your existing attic aerial is almost certainly a UHF one so try it first, as you say. If you have problems at that stage, there are plenty more options and the terrestrial forum will sort you out. :)

So when Sheriff's Mountain goes digital next year, can I get both through my television, or does choosing 'Ireland' when setting up my TV mean that I'll only get the Saorview channels?

muffler wrote: »
    We could get RTE1 & 2 and TG4 on analogue but not TV3. We did however get it via Sky. But with Saorview now being transmitted from the mast outside of Stranorlar we can pick TV3 up fine now. Never had to move the aerial. Just tried it one day and hey presto all the channels were there. I had a compatible TV though.

Thanks for the info guys, seems like there is no reason i should have to change my aerial but ill guess ill find out when ever I get my Saorview box.

Technique wrote: »
    So when Sheriff's Mountain goes digital next year, can I get both through my television, or does choosing 'Ireland' when setting up my TV mean that I'll only get the Saorview channels?

If you can get Saorview, then the TV will pick up the Standard Definition Freeview channels as well. Sheriffs Mountain and Strabane will have a reduced set of channels but at that stage you may be able to receive Limavady as well, as the power will be turned up. Limavady will have the full range of Freeview channels. You may find that the Saorview channels are moved to the 800s in the channel guide. Some consider this to be a problem. Personally I find it to be very convenient as its simply a matter of going into the guide, pressing up for the Saorview channels and down for the UK ones.

The UK transmitters will also carry a set of High Definition Channels, but this requires a Freeview HD capable TV or box.

Advertisement