Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOW REPORTS ONLY - December 4 - 6th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Really coming down in Dundalk now and sticking :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Recent Snow in Belmullet on the 0000 Reports with a Gust of 49Kts.Nice!

Where is Su Campu? - I thought he would be particularly interested in that observation;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

iRooter wrote: »
    Can see sliabh an iarann out the back window of house , was a nice sheet of snow on it this morning , hopefully it will shift and land on top of us :D

I can see it now...a hovering plateau of mountain ice... with the weird humans from Ireland lying on the ground shouting "Land on me" !

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Snowing like mad here near Shercock County Cavan...big massive flakes and its all sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

temp has risen to 4.6 c here. looks like dundalk is going to get a dumping as dm says. forget the rogue flakes i was mentioning earlier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Coming down nicely here again - west Donegal at sea level

Sky satellite gone for the past 20 minutes!

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    temp has risen to 4.6 c here.

That was always going to be the case on wind ward coasts unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Heavy enough downfall in Dundalk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

MET UK have extended their colour alert to the whole of NI.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

darkman2 wrote: »
    That was always going to be the case on wind ward coasts unfortunately.

it was colder at three pm in fact. pity but im used to it :(. great to see so many getting snow though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Forum Monkey

Hopefully some snow tonight in Kells in Meath!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Seems to be snowing in Dundalk. I'm 5 miles south-west and nothing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

Anyone have any snow in Galway ??

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    it was colder at three pm in fact. pity but im used to it :(. great to see so many getting snow though.

It is. Wexford might even get a flake going on radar. A shower also approaching Kildare town. That far inland they won't need big showers to have a dusting due to pretty much freezing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No snow here either, very windy out though. Can't see me getting snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Anyone have any snow in Galway ??

Yes... It made a light snow shower at about 10pm in Northeast county Galway. Then it turned to sleet, and then to rain....

Seems to be snowing in Dundalk. I'm 5 miles south-west and nothing here.

You should get something pretty soon given the Southeasterly track of the precipitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Where is Su Campu? - I thought he would be particularly interested in that observation;)

I am pretty sure he would, since it seems odd that snow is being reported when temp is 4.0c at the station with a Td of 2.0c. Similar to a report from the same station earlier this morning as well when snow was reported under similar readings. Only explanation I can give is that any snow was very brief and occurred during an intense downdraft or something. (with a high gust of 49kts this is a possibility) so I doubt any snow observed lasted any more than a few seconds if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Surfvivor

LMFM RADIO

Snowing in Dundalk right now.

Come on snowww, only 25 miles south and I'll be a happy camper!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sleet just starting to turn to snow here in Athlone

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure he would, since it seems odd that snow is being reported when temp is 4.0c at the station with a Td of 2.0c. Similar to a report from the same station earlier this morning as well when snow was reported under similar readings. Only explanation I can give is that any snow was very brief and occurred during an intense downdraft or something. (with a high gust of 49kts this is a possibility) so I doubt any snow observed lasted any more than a few seconds if at all.

I don't think anyone is in a position to disregard any met station. Snow has been reported at sea level. Simple fact as far as i'm concerned.

I am sure he will be equally interested in the report from Harps aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Pangea wrote: »
    No snow here either, very windy out though. Can't see me getting snow.
    Wouldn't bet on it. Thought I'd check outside one last time and the current hail shower has covered the driveway and my car. Who knows what's in store!

I don't think anyone is in a position to disregard any met station. Snow has been reported at sea level. Simple fact as far as i'm concerned.

I am not disregarding the observation at all, just trying to give an explanation as I just think it is odd that snow (recent snow on actual report) was reported under such readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Nuser

10 minute snow shower in Omagh there, just stopped now. Lovely big flakes, was sticking too. :)

I am not disregarding the observation at all, just trying to give an explanation as I just think it is odd that snow (recent snow on actual report) was reported under such readings.

Down draught is probably the most likely explanation as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Antiprophet

Thermometer is showing -2 outside here (just out of Waterford city towards kilmeaden), not a cloud in the sky though.

This is about the UK the last two winters, but it really is a very interesting watch - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-big-freeze/4od

Down draught is probably the most likely explanation as you said.

Finner Camp reporting a 45kt gust, a temp of 4c but a lower Td of 0.3c, and reporting rain. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Currently 5.0C, dew point of 2.8C in Cork city. Doesn't look too good right now, but there's always hope.
    Should be heading to the gym at around 6:30am, so I'll report back around then.
    G'night all!

EDIT: Valentia tephigram showing uppers around -4/5C for midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

0100 Reports-Belmullet now reporting Sleet with a Gust of 46Kts.Temp 4 at this time.

• Advertisement

Finner Camp reporting a 45kt gust, a temp of 4c but a lower Td of 0.3c, and reporting rain. Odd.

Depends on intensity of the shower aswell. Maybe just a light shower without a down draught. It is very windy off the west coast. Near gale force wind in fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement