Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNOW REPORTS ONLY - December 4 - 6th.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gusty rain shower just passed through here - Tuam, 39m asl. Still waiting for the snow that was promised..

darkman2 wrote: »
    Depends on intensity of the shower aswell. Maybe just a light shower without a down draught. It is very windy off the west coast. Near gale force wind in fact.

Yep, Finner reported just trace while Belmullet reported 0.5mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Gusty rain shower just passed through here - Tuam, 39m asl. Still waiting for the snow that was promised..

not looking good for us deep. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Finner Camp reporting a 45kt gust, a temp of 4c but a lower Td of 0.3c, and reporting rain. Odd.

Nothing odd about that really :confused:

The Belmullet observation sounds odd of course. But as has been mentioned already, probably due to downdraft for a short period of time.

****observer looks out window and notes snowfall .... writes "recent snow" in notepad and goes to PC to update observation**** .... meanwhile ... sensors send info automatically at either predetermined intervals or in some cases (wind) on average and updates the same database for that hour ..

Or something, I'm not feeling eloquent right now :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Dundalk about to get more snow.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    Nothing odd about that really :confused:

The Belmullet observation sounds odd of course. But as has been mentioned already, probably due to downdraft for a short period of time.

****observer looks out window and notes snowfall .... writes "recent snow" in notepad and goes to PC to update observation**** .... meanwhile ... sensors send info automatically at either predetermined intervals or in some cases (wind) on average and updates the same database for that hour ..

Or something, I'm not feeling eloquent right now :P

Not odd in itself of course, just that Finner's readings at the time would have been more conducive for snow than Belmullet's readings.

Oddity is a relative, rather than absolute concept in this case I think.

I get what you mean by odd now DE :o

the diff in the temp and "DP" (stop saying Td, it;s just gonna piss people off lol) with rain falling...

well I suppose that explains belmullet too .. the atmophere is unstable below 850hpa and swirling on every axis?

konman wrote: »
    not looking good for us deep. :confused:

There seems to be a stream of showers heading for us Konman from the NW at the moment, any hope we have would be in them before morning. Temp is 1.8c here in town so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Only sleety muck here, next shower looks more intense, wind picking up a bit too.

I get what you mean by odd now DE :o

the diff in the temp and "DP" (stop saying Td, it;s just gonna piss people off lol) with rain falling...

well I suppose that explains belmullet too .. the atmophere is unstable below 850hpa and swirling on every axis?

and also above! :)

Edit: Just remembered that Finner is also a fully automated station so observation was not observed by human eyes (if that makes sense!)

• Advertisement

There seems to be a stream of showers heading for us Konman from the NW at the moment, any hope we have would be in them before morning. Temp is 1.8c here in town so fingers crossed.

I dont have a W.S. but it seemed to get a touch milder between 9 and 12 but it seems to getting colder now. Also there was graupel here in a light shower about 9 i think

I dont have a W.S. but it seemed to get a touch milder between 9 and 12 but it seems to getting colder now. Also there was graupel here in a light shower about 9 i think

12am

Rtavn062.png

6am

Rtavn122.png

Once your sub -5 your on for snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why do I have rain right now?

thanks darkman.

Temp was sort of yo yoing here all evening and still is within a very small degree, back up to 2.2c at the moment. I don't think the flat terrain of the landscape is helping us either as most of the snow reports seem to be from hillier areas. Anyway, just got very windy here again so another shower moving in. We may be luckier with this one.

Once your sub -5 your on for snow.

Wrong.

Once you're sub -5 you've got one of the main ingredients for a delicious snow cake.

Only sleety muck here, next shower looks more intense, wind picking up a bit too.

Just moving in here now Redsteve, has become very gusty.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why do I have rain right now?

Because you are the snow bunny hater!

Wrong.

Once you're sub -5 you've got one of the main ingredients for a delicious snow cake.

The snow is falling where the 850hpa temperature is below -5 therefore all the ingredients in those areas are in place (just about). It is forecast to get colder again as the night goes on in your part of the country so you have a chance. Anyway those who see snow enjoy! Night.

The snow is falling where the 850hpa temperature is below -5 therefore all the ingredients in those areas are in place (just about). It is forecast to get colder again as the night goes on in your part of the country so you have a chance. Anyway those who see snow enjoy! Night.

Well ok, if you put it like that, that makes more sense ;)

• Advertisement

Deep,that last shower was quite squally, i think i have description right correct me if im wrong. think its time for a few hours kip and an early rise to see if theres any change

Deep,that last shower was quite squally, i think i have description right correct me if im wrong. think its time for a few hours kip and an early rise to see if theres any change

Spot on. Squally but just brought a few spits here.

Waiting for 2pm reports then beddies myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Stopped here, didnt stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Finally a heavy proper snow shower here !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

Good shower of snow here in cavan town ... Appears to be sticking

Correction: It aint sticking unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That blob over north-west leinster looks like hitting North Dublin/Louth in the next 45 mins, please snow gods let some of it get to me in South Dublin!
    :D

Dan :cool:

Could be on for some snow here shortly near Malahide and North Dublin. First of the season if I see a flake.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :o
    And seems like Su is writing the Mace Head observations :D

Seriously though, I know they're both automatic stations, but "freezing drizzl", come on :P

shizzle.png

Just got the first snow flakes of the season here. Nothing much but a flake is a flake!

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    That blob over north-west leinster looks like hitting North Dublin/Louth in the next 45 mins, please snow gods let some of it get to me in South Dublin!
    :D

Dan :cool:

Lordy, it's trying to snow, but it's just too darn wet (Drogheda). :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement