Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17 year old car insurance (male)

Options
  • 03-12-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I will be turning 17 in february 2012 and was wondering what will be the cheapest way to get insured e.g car/named driver.. Anyone with experience of this , what was the cheapest way for you and how much did it cost ?
    Any information ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If one of your parents is with Aviva, I think they still do the 'buy 10 driving lessons and get 6 months named insurance for no additional cost to the policy'

• Registered Users Posts: 25 iRooter

Dont think there with aviva but is insurance always going to be in the thousands even if your a 2nd driver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

iRooter wrote: »
    Dont think there with aviva but is insurance always going to be in the thousands even if your a 2nd driver ?

Put simply, absolutely. When I started at 17 on a provisional on my mothers car with full no claims it was 1100 for the two of us third party, prices have gone up since then though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If I remember correctly, after 6 months driving mine was €900, your best bet is to ring the insurance company for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Realistically you have no chance of getting insurance other than as a named driver - any other way would cost you thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Realistically you have no chance of getting insurance other than as a named driver

Bit of an over reaction really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JustLen wrote: »
    Bit of an over reaction really
    not really when i had my learner permit i was quoted 6k from aviva in there office on a 1.4 ford focus. every one else was around the 5k mark. went for a named driver with the mother.wouldn't drive that much passed the test and only got 100 back of fbd for a policy that cost close to two grand and it had only being taking out in June and I had passed my test in September. no matter what way you look at it your going to pay big especially for a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

not really when i had my learner permit i was quoted 6k from aviva in there office on a 1.4 ford focus. every one else was around the 5k mark. went for a named driver with the mother.wouldn't drive that much passed the test and only got 100 back of fbd for a policy that cost close to two grand and it had only being taking out in June and I had passed my test in September. no matter what way you look at it your going to pay big especially for a male.
    my brother in law just start driving, he is 19 with a first time learner permit and got his own policy with axa for 1800 fully comp on a 99 1.4 ford focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

guil wrote: »
    my brother in law just start driving, he is 19 with a first time learner permit and got his own policy with axa for 1800 fully comp on a 99 1.4 ford focus.
    i was only 17 at the time are focus is an 05

Whats the story with male and female insurance going to cost the same ? are they going to meet somewhere in the middle ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Whats the story with male and female insurance going to cost the same ? are they going to meet somewhere in the middle ?
    Not a chance. Womans insurance will go up, ours will stay the same.

Tought that was the case, isnt really fair the way lads insurance is so high , not all lads are dangerous driver..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Tought that was the case, isnt really fair the way lads insurance is so high , not all lads are dangerous driver..

True but when it comes to insurance we're all painted with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

A lot of young lads are though

Outrageously expensive for insurance though , got a quote last night on 'Aon' for a 2000 1.4 petrol opel astra , quot given was around 10'000 and this was as a named driver... around 5 times the cars value?

Outrageously expensive for insurance though , got a quote last night on 'Aon' for a 2000 1.4 petrol opel astra , quot given was around 10'000 and this was as a named driver... around 5 times the cars value?

I know im 30 have full licence 9 yrs, with 2 yrs ncb and last year my insurance was nearly 800

My sisters 17 and on a provisional license and for her to get insured as the 3rd driver on my mothers '08 audi a4 2.0 tdi' its costin 900 for my two parents and her to get insured, thats what 300 each ?

My sisters 17 and on a provisional license and for her to get insured as the 3rd driver on my mothers '08 audi a4 2.0 tdi' its costin 900 for my two parents and her to get insured, thats what 300 each ?

I'd say in that case its because of the years of ncb your parents have built up, but insurance is too expensive in ireland esp for third party only cover

Wonder how much it would cost me to get insured on it as a 4th driver ? wouldnt be to confident driving it though to much of a car :/

Only one way to find out make the call , i think you might be better off getting yourself something cheap with a small engine e.g. yaris, micra etc.

this way you will start building up your own ncb and if you scratch bump car it dosn't matter too much

• Advertisement

can you only build up ncb if your not a named driver ?

i think most companies take named driver experience into account

I'll ring up the insurance company when the time comes aroung :) wonder what the insurance would be like if i got a parent and my sister (will be full driver at the time) insured on a 1.4 astra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Your best bet OP is to go for as small an engined car as possible to keep the insurance as low as you can.

With most insurers 1.4l cars are rated significantly different from 1.0l's especially when it comes to young male drivers.

Just to sicken the blokes on here and as an aside on the young male vs young female driver stuff.Yesterday I put on cover an 18 year old female,provisional licence and no experience onto her mothers 1.1l Clio,fully comp for €718 for the year,that was the total price for the two of them,its obscene that there is such a difference between the genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

The difference between them is unreal. I'm a 20 year old female with a provisional license... Just after getting myself a one litre yaris, i've been quoted up to 4grand... My cheapest quote is 940 for fully comp with myself as the main driver and my dad is named.... Does anyone think it's worth taking this quote to other companies to see what if I can get it better or is that as good as it gets for a 20 yr old female on a provisional license?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think the sooner the anti-discrimination laws come in the better. A 20 year old male would be paying >2000 for TPFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

carolmarx wrote: »
    The difference between them is unreal. I'm a 20 year old female with a provisional license... Just after getting myself a one litre yaris, i've been quoted up to 4grand... My cheapest quote is 940 for fully comp with myself as the main driver and my dad is named.... Does anyone think it's worth taking this quote to other companies to see what if I can get it better or is that as good as it gets for a 20 yr old female on a provisional license?
    940 for an unqualified 20 year old inexperienced driver is fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

maxfresh wrote: »
    i think most companies take named driver experience into account

I'm 21 and have 4 years named drivers experience and 2 points (speeding in one of those stupidly limited areas), but the named driver doesn't help much with a quote but the points don't seem to have an effect either,

i currently drive a commerical 3.2 pajero because the insurance and tax and running is cheaper than me insuring a regular car (work gets me cheap insurance at fleat rate and have been driving it since i just turned 18).

I was considering changing to a car i.e diesel golf or something similar to save fuel (28mpg now and do alot of mileage €60/70 a Monday - Friday) but it's just not worth it due to the high insurance €1100 is the cheapest i could find and tax is double .

Insurance companies just don't want young drivers, all because of the few young males that cause huge accidents with huge compensation payouts. It means that us young guys that need a car but drive sensibly have to pay a fortune to cover their payouts.

So to answer your question to get affordable insurance you need to go on a parents policy.

another option is if you have alot of things insured with on company, i.e house and contents, parents cars, or anything. wait till the renewal date then ask for a quote and if not decent just say well we could take our business elsewhere were we get looked after and they will usually do a very good deal,

db330 wrote: »
    I'm 21 and have 4 years named drivers experience and 2 points (speeding in one of those stupidly limited areas), but the named driver doesn't help much with a quote but the points don't seem to have an effect either,

i currently drive a commerical 3.2 pajero because the insurance and tax and running is cheaper than me insuring a regular car (work gets me cheap insurance at fleat rate and have been driving it since i just turned 18).

I was considering changing to a car i.e diesel golf or something similar to save fuel (28mpg now and do alot of mileage €60/70 a Monday - Friday) but it's just not worth it due to the high insurance €1100 is the cheapest i could find and tax is double .

Insurance companies just don't want young drivers, all because of the few young males that cause huge accidents with huge compensation payouts. It means that us young guys that need a car but drive sensibly have to pay a fortune to cover their payouts.

So to answer your question to get affordable insurance you need to go on a parents policy.

another option is if you have alot of things insured with on company, i.e house and contents, parents cars, or anything. wait till the renewal date then ask for a quote and if not decent just say well we could take our business elsewhere were we get looked after and they will usually do a very good deal,

If you don't mind mate who are you insured with because im thinking of getting a commercial soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

db330 wrote: »

what sort of golf do you reckon costs €2200 to tax?

Advertisement