Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McLoughlins Newbridge

Options
  • 03-12-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Perhaps I am just a really suspicious bloke but........2 weeks ago went to MCL to get diesel - nealry always get it there. I noticed on the large black sign driving up to the garage that diesel was €1.449/lt, which was good as this was as the price at the pump seemed to be rising by the day. I stuck the nozzle into the tank, and looked to see the pump had resert to zero, upon which I saw the price was €1.479/lt. I called the bloke over who walks the forecourt querying this, only to have pointed out to me, the price of diesel on the large black sign was inded €1.479/lt. What they had done was switch the unleaded and diesel positions on the large black sign. I was so used to the diesel price being on the top, i assumed the same that day.

Fast forward to today: Drove up to MCL to get diesel only to notice it was once again €1.479/lt ( indeed also the same for unleaded). I also noticed the forecourt practically devoid of anyone filling up. I decided I would get the diesel on the way up to Dublin,. as it was cheaper than that all along the Naas Rd yesterday. Only to discover Brennan's selling diesel for €1.449/lt, which is only approx 200mts up the road from MCL. And the forecourt was packed.

Perhaps I am a bit paranoid, but what is going on at MCL? They were always cheaper than anywhere else in Newbridge, but now Brennan's are cheaper than them. Oh and I don't care what anyone says, NOW, the price of a barrel of oil is cheaper than when these increases started, yet it seems the pump price is again rising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Seems to change between McL, Brennans and Fraser as to which one is cheapest each week.
    Never noticed placing of price changing, I just look for the price with black marking (diesel)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

On a slightly different topic.

I bought a parafin stove from them two years ago as a standby for the hard winter. They were selling their own brand of recommended parafin for 20 euro for a 20Lt drum. Standard parafin would have cost 16 euro at the time but they insist that standard parafin will damage the wick.

Their stuff then went up to 29 euro in one jump, almost 50%.
    This seems to be a total rip off.

Has anyone else bought one of these stoves and if so, what do you burn in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

dont think it would damage wick as alot of rope is dosed in parafin to make it stronger and last longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Just to be fair to MCL, I see they have dropped their price of both diesel and petrol to €1.439/lt. Googled the price of a barrel of oil between Friday and today, and no change.

Really have no idea what is going on with the price of fuel at the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Really have no idea what is going on with the price of fuel at the pump.

Currency fluctuations hit it more than the price of crude these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

Diesel this evening in frazer newbridge beside finlays was 144.9 is 149.9 across the road in topaz not sure what it is in brennans

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

When i first moved to Newbridge in 2006 MCL were always the cheapest,have found out in recent times they are the same as the rest of the shower and yes it is probably cheaper to get some fuel on the way up to Dub as i seen better prices there recently.
    MCL used to set the mark and the rest of them would follow,not anymore,paint them all with the same brush down there,rip offs.
    Good place for checking your tyres though,if you have a Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Apologies for digging up this oldish thread but........

I started this by knocking MCL over their prices.

Filled up there yesterday evening at €1.479/lt ( diesel). I drive around Dublin a lot every day, and have yet to see any other filling station below €1.50/lt.

Credit where credit is due, I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Apologies for digging up this oldish thread but........

I started this by knocking MCL over their prices.

Filled up there yesterday evening at €1.479/lt ( diesel). I drive around Dublin a lot every day, and have yet to see any other filling station below €1.50/lt.

Credit where credit is due, I say!

Fraser Oil and MCL compete with each other all the time :D Right now it's €1.475/lt on Fraser :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

www.pumps.ie shows several places in Dublin currently under €1.50.

• Advertisement
Advertisement