Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated seed beds

• 03-12-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone run a set up using rope lights like the link below?

http://jwvanno.xomba.com/how_build_heated_seed_bed

I presume it'd work for warm stratification of seeds?

Cold stratification I can do with a cheapie fridge :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'll take it no one does then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

johngalway wrote: »
    I'll take it no one does then :D

I haven't used that method before but I have used a hot box with artificial lights after sowing seed in peat/vermiculite mix in seed boxes, then tranferring seedlings at a later date to pre-made peat blocks in a bed.

Whats warm stratification? Does it exist? as my understanding is that stratification is
    Stratification is the process of subjecting seeds to both cold and moist conditions

so basically winter dormancy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is this a really thick, non-techi question, but why don't they overheat and burn out?

I haven't used that method before but I have used a hot box with artificial lights after sowing seed in peat/vermiculite mix in seed boxes, then tranferring seedlings at a later date to pre-made peat blocks in a bed.

Whats warm stratification? Does it exist? as my understanding is that stratification is .

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Crataegus

Scroll down to "propagation" :) I'm sure Google will give more answers (not passing the buck there, I just don't have much info for ya!).

I don't know tbh, I'm only going on what I've read, both cold and warm stratification have been mentioned.

looksee wrote: »
    Is this a really thick, non-techi question, but why don't they overheat and burn out?

Good question and I don't have the answer for you. The house I'm in is cold, no central heating, but I am wary of burying lights for obvious reasons. Next thing I might do is to look into possible ways of powering those lights off the grid, like with solar and battery maybe, less of a hazard if they're in the shed compared to the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement