Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge amount of condensation in bedroom

• 03-12-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a rented house and I have to deal with a big problem with condensation in the main bedroom and ensuite. I got a extractor fan fitted in the ceiling recently and after a few months it packed up. I went to replace it today and I quickly found out why it packed up. It was soaking wet and the motor was saturated. So I'm expecting this one to go the same way soon. The windows are always coated with a layer of condensation. I had to replace the blinds during the summer as they were destroyed with mildew. I opened the balance valve on the rad to increase the heat and I got the extra insulation added into the ceiling. The tenants are using the heating as the rads were warm while I was there today. They also keep the window slightly opened in the ensuite to allow the steam after their showers to escape, but the very large drops of water continue to gather in the ensuite. So I'm at a loss and I would appreciate any advice. BTW I lived in the house up till about 6 years ago and I didn't experience these dampness issues then.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

have you considered there maybe an actual leak in the bathroom?
    or change in external circumstances that's increasing internal dampness?
    has this gotten worse since insulating? or
    what other alterations have been made since you were living there?
    new windows draught proofing?
    are the tennents dryling a lot of clothes in doors?
    how frequently are they opening the windows?
    are any of the vents blocked?
    or possibly a blockage along the extract pipework?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

BryanF wrote: »
    have you considered there maybe an actual leak in the bathroom?
    or change in external circumstances that's increasing internal dampness?
    has this gotten worse since insulating? or
    what other alterations have been made since you were living there?
    new windows draught proofing?
    are the tennents dryling a lot of clothes in doors?
    how frequently are they opening the windows?
    are any of the vents blocked?
    or possibly a blockage along the extract pipework?

It was suggested by builder but my handyman said otherwise about an external leak so at this stage it's not ruled out yet.
    I haven't noticed any change since the added insulation.
    No alterations have been made to the building.
    They are a family with three kids so I'd say quite a bit of indoor drying goes on but it's usually in the dining room which is directly below the bedroom in question.
    The window in the ensuite seems to be always open.
    The windows are the original ones fitted to the house in 1998.
    Vents look good.
    And finally I haven't checked the waste pipework guess that's the next job.
    Thanks for your time Bryanf.

Advertisement