Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling coal

Options
  • 03-12-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

What's the deal trying to set up a business selling coal. Are there environmental issues/ is the E.P.A gonna break my balls?. I have access to a decent size warehouse for storage. Also what about health and safety, fire precautions and the likes?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

given that its a dying market I doubt the business could sustain itself in the long-term.

most people have either gas or electric as a source of heating, I suppose there might be a market in rural ireland but its a fairly niche market and you are competing against cheaper fuels ...like...peat briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

PCPhoto wrote: »
    given that its a dying market I doubt the business could sustain itself in the long-term.

most people have either gas or electric as a source of heating, I suppose there might be a market in rural ireland but its a fairly niche market and you are competing against cheaper fuels ...like...peat briquettes.

This is a very negative response to a request for advice.

Dying market, maybe but if a person is to set themselves up in a fuel supply business they could also stock the many other fuel products that people burn, like peat briquettes, fire logs, elephant grass logs, turf, firewood etc.

Gas or electric as a source of heating are expensive and with the current difficulties facing people in this country more and more people will be forced to heat one room via a stove or fireplace rather that heat a full house with either oil, gas or electricity.

There is also the situation where people still use a fire for its nice warm homely feeling in their sitting room.
    Many of those people will continue to burn briquettes, coal and timber.

So my advice to the OP is to contact several coal importers, they will gladly answer these questions for you. Find out the cost to you wholesale prices. What other products they can supply you with.

From this information work out your general costings and see if you can sell at a profit in your area.

When you are factoring your costs be aware of the fact that every garage and forecourt now sell these products.

I have no idea what price you currently pay for coal but in this area coal can be purchased for as little as €12 for a 40kg bag.

Do your homework and best of luck with the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Can you back that comment up with facts? If anything the trend is very much towards solid fuel as people are stuck with ever increasing oil and gas prices.

OP, try www.solidfuel.co.uk for information, I don't know if there is an Irish equivalent.

As regards selling coal if I were you I would consider turf, briguettes, timber, eco-briquettes etc. as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Dear OP, I own a hardware company and we just got into selling coal last winter and again this year. As someone else mentioned there is a whole host of complimentary products to go with it that you must also do. Such as briquettes (bigger seller than coal now) kindling, (buy direct off a timber mill or the likes for pennies) turf, logs etc.
    You don't need a special licence but beware selling the smokey coals as they are outlawed now in a good part of the country. Smokless is the way to go.
    Any other advice help needed feel free to PM for prices or any help you need.
    Buck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

What's the deal trying to set up a business selling coal. Are there environmental issues/ is the E.P.A gonna break my balls?. I have access to a decent size warehouse for storage. Also what about health and safety, fire precautions and the likes?...

What method of distribution are you considering.
    In my area North Dublin, various hardware outlets, garages, convenience stores, etc, sell coal logs, turf,, and the customer drives up and collects, handy enough if you are getting petrol, or even groceries, and have the car.
    The most successful guys in my view deliver direct to homes.
    So they have a van/lorry, and deliver to order.
    So you have storage, yes if you employ staff, you will have to consider Health/Safety, material handling, perhaps train staff to drive a fork-lift, etc. Fire precautions is kind of odvious.
    What method were you considering to get the product to the house-holder. Stick with it, you could be onto something here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 chionle

August 2010 Forfas Report on Irish Energy indicates otherwise. As a matter of fact, it's still a cheap and viable energy alternative to gas and electricity for Ireland. It's not a dying business. I am even considering setting up a similar business especially as Crude oil price rises. Rainbowdash is absolutely correct.

As for setting up the business, consider health/safety standards, Irish Energy regulations for such products. Delivery mode is also a consideration.

You can PM if you need more information on the Irish Energy Requirements

Advertisement