Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry wall/plasterboard fixings help

• 03-12-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I want to attach some 8'x4' plasterboards to am old dusty internal wall, I don't want to rely on the usual bonding mix as I think the dust would imped proper adhesion, I did hear there is a threaded plastic/nylon plug you can use if you pre drill the wall through plasterboard then you just hammer in the plug, anyone know of these plugs ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Link on done deal to what your looking for a can't find anything else on images http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/buildingmaterials/2709663

Slab fixers is the common name. Can only be used on block and timber. You will have to dot and dab if the wall is stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Link on done deal to what your looking for a can't find anything else on images http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/buildingmaterials/2709663

Slab fixers is the common name. Can only be used on block and timber. You will have to dot and dab if the wall is stone.
    Thanks, I tried the dot and dab method but it did'nt hold, the wall a 80yrs old 12" thick poured concrete, I chipped off all the old loose plaster & the surface is solid but very dusty, I'll use these from B&Q, should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

lensman wrote: »
    Thanks, I tried the dot and dab method but it did'nt hold, the wall a 80yrs old 12" thick poured concrete, I chipped off all the old loose plaster & the surface is solid but very dusty, I'll use these from B&Q, should be ok.

They are not for plasterboard and may lead to trouble for you.
    you will need mushroom fixings for what you want to do. YouTookMyName has a link of what you need. 8mm hammer or sds drill is needed.

You can buy small bags of them cheaply at you local builders merchant. Not B&Q.

B&Q will charge you a fortune for wrong fixings you intend to get. And I doubt they stock mushroom fixings

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you damp down the wall before you dot and dab this will help the adhesive stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

mushroom fixings are the right ones and a lot of lads use bonding (compound) also to help keep boards straight when applying. make sure you get the right lenght so you dont burst through the other side of wall.
    I cant understand why anyone uses band q. rip off and useless staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

1chippy wrote: »
    mushroom fixings are the right ones and a lot of lads use bonding (compound) also to help keep boards straight when applying. make sure you get the right lenght so you dont burst through the other side of wall.
    I cant understand why anyone uses band q. rip off and useless staff.

B&Q has its place. They are open longer which is a blessing sometimes. I likw having a root around the place TBH ..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lensman
    They are not for plasterboard and may lead to trouble for you.
    you will need mushroom fixings for what you want to do. YouTookMyName has a link of what you need. 8mm hammer or sds drill is needed.

You can buy small bags of them cheaply at you local builders merchant. Not B&Q.

B&Q will charge you a fortune for wrong fixings you intend to get. And I doubt they stock mushroom fixings

Mushroom fixers the way to go, usually twice the depth of your board so if 12.5mm board 30mm fixings will do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Don't use the plastic mushroom fittings - get the aluminium ones

Advertisement