Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17 Year old insurance on classic or commercial

Options
  • 03-12-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Well lads,
    For a long time now I've been browsing these pages tediously trying to get as much info as I could as regards insurance for 17 year olds, but I still have a few questions, so hopefully this thread will help others too. Right, to get started, I'll be 17 in September, and my parents have agreed to pay for the insurance if I buy the car. Obviously I want to keep the insurance cost as low as possible, so I'm trying to look into every option available.

1) As daft as this may sound, and I know many of you will remind me of countless reliability problems, can a 17 year old possibly get insured (as a named driver on a parents policy) to drive a classic car? I understand that there is a mileage cap for classic insurance, and I understand what being insured under a parents policy means, but as of now the question is purely hypothetical:p The reason I'm looking at classics is because of the cheaper insurance, but also the cheaper road tax.

2) Commercial insurance- I know that it is possible for a 17 year old to get insured on a commercial, but in which price range would this fall into? Like would it be worthwhile?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, the school bus costs €700 for me and my sister and my parents would much rather send this towards paying some of my insurance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You won't get classic insurance anyway due to your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryst

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You won't get classic insurance anyway due to your age.

Thanks man, needed a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Long in the short: bend over and get raped with insurance for the first few years whilst clocking up your NCB, and then use those years to your advantage when your want to get something a little bit sexy.

qz wrote: »
    Long in the short: bend over and get raped with insurance for the first few years whilst clocking up your NCB, and then use those years to your advantage when your want to get something a little bit sexy.

Ha mate I figured that from all the other posts but there has to be some way of getting decent insurance, and to be honest I'll forego the NCB for a while to get a cheap premium now....but thanks nonetheless :)

Could anybody tell me if insurance on an estate would be any cheaper for a 17 yo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

ryst wrote: »
    Ha mate I figured that from all the other posts but there has to be some way of getting decent insurance, and to be honest I'll forego the NCB for a while to get a cheap premium now....but thanks nonetheless :)

Could anybody tell me if insurance on an estate would be any cheaper for a 17 yo?

The best thing to buy is a car that is not common to young lads as in not a Civic if you catch my drift.

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The best thing to buy is a car that is not common to young lads as in not a Civic if you catch my drift.

Aha I thought that, until I got quoted (on my own name albeit) €2700 for a 1999 1.0 VW Polo...
    It's absolutely bloddy shambolic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Aha I thought that, until I got quoted (on my own name albeit) €2700 for a 1999 1.0 VW Polo...

Jesus thats crazy. Did you try Britton and Quinn..

What's shambolic is that you would be using this as a means of transport for you and your sister with no experience of driving.

€2700 to cover the world against a driver with no experience or full licensed driver there for tuition seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That's the sort of stuff you're looking at tbh, should be able to get it down to 2k but in around that will be the cheapest you'll find.

you are better off in the long run just taking the hit now

That's the sort of stuff you're looking at tbh, should be able to get it down to 2k but in around that will be the cheapest you'll find.

you are better off in the long run just taking the hit now

I don't think I'll be any better off in the long run as I'm not paying for it this year, and in the next year I hope to have a job to actually pay it myself, so I'm not too bothered with the NCB yet to be honest but thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

Have you tried Zuirch,i am with them for the past two years,there prize couldn't be beat elsewhere,and also it came down €800 six months passing my driving & the passed my driving test I got €250 back so happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Listen op to wat every one is trying to say to you as we have all tried things like this when we were younger and Notting works the fact is pay hugh money now and make sure u get the policy in your own name and start to build up a Ncb it's the only wAy to help yourself.you can't be the system it is wat it is so stop trying .p.s wish I had parents that should of payed my insurence when I started driving so count ur self really lucky there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What everyone else has said. With regard to your comment on commercial insurance, you need to have an occupation that necessitates the use of a commercial vehicle to get commercial insurance

Have you tried Zuirch,i am with them for the past two years,there prize couldn't be beat elsewhere,and also it came down €800 six months passing my driving & the passed my driving test I got €250 back so happy days

Will do good man.

swhyte027 wrote: »
    Listen op to wat every one is trying to say to you as we have all tried things like this when we were younger and Notting works the fact is pay hugh money now and make sure u get the policy in your own name and start to build up a Ncb it's the only wAy to help yourself.you can't be the system it is wat it is so stop trying .p.s wish I had parents that should of payed my insurence when I started driving so count ur self really lucky there

Starting to think that way now alright. And they're paying my insurance rather than €700 euro for the school bus and so that they don't have to be my taxi service, I'm doing stuff 5/7 nights during the week, 20k+ round trip usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Jesus thats crazy. ..

Not really. At 18 with a full licence on a 1.2 Clio it was costign me IRP£2800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

€2676 for Third Party, Fire & Theft on a 2000 Volvo S40 1.6 :D
    17 Year Old, Learner Permit, No previous experience or NCB.
    Have a look at them Volvos, the 1.8 S40 is cheaper to insure than a 1.4 Golf in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Does being insured as a named driver, under one of your parents not work out considerably cheaper anymore? Its what I did for my 1st few years with a car, I was with FBD, and they offered two years named driver experience as one full years NCB when I took out my own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

Will do good man.
    Sometimes the colour of your car/van can vary the price of insaurance

What's shambolic is that you would be using this as a means of transport for you and your sister with no experience of driving.

€2700 to cover the world against a driver with no experience or full licensed driver there for tuition seems fair.

I understand 100% with what you're saying, and the stereotype sadly is justified, but I have to disagree somewhat because in fairness now we all have to start somewhere, and I'm sure at one stage in your life you too were an unexperienced driver in less than ideal circumstances perhaps due to your financial situation, so apologies if I anger you in any way because I will be a new unexperienced driver.

I will not be driving without a qualified driver without my full license to make this clear and at no point have I stated otherwise.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that you need a qualified driver that has had a full license for 2 full years. I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

My understanding is that you need a qualified driver that has had a full license for 2 full years. I may be wrong.

You are correct on that one Colm. OP if it was me I would get the full licence and turn 18 and then get your insurance. If you're stopped by Gardai on a learner permit with no fully licensed driver with you I think you could be in a spot if bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

oldyouth wrote: »
    What everyone else has said. With regard to your comment on commercial insurance, you need to have an occupation that necessitates the use of a commercial vehicle to get commercial insurance
    Whatever about everything else in this thread - the above is simply NOT true. You may be asked to fill out a form with a relevant occupation for commercial MOTOR TAX, but there are no such restrictions on the insurance of a commercial vehicle.

OP have you tried getting any quotes on something simple enough like a Citroen Xsara van, Berlingo or anything along those lines? They're slow, only have 2 seats (so you're less likely to have a bunch of mates along encouraging you to do silly things in the eyes of insurance companies) and if you buy something that already has tax on it you're away on a hack :D

If I could go back to when I started driving then I'd definitely be looking into a small commercial van or a commercial 4x4

Top Dog wrote: »
    Whatever about everything else in this thread - the above is simply NOT true. You may be asked to fill out a form with a relevant occupation for commercial MOTOR TAX, but there are no such restrictions on the insurance of a commercial vehicle.
    I stand by my statement. I haven't said that it isn't legal, I'm just pointing out that insurers will not (usually) offer a quotation to somebody on a commercial vehicle unless their occupation is one that would suggest it is necessary. Try asking an insurer for a quote on a Berlingo and tell them that you are an office worker, student, nurse etc and you will be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I understand 100% with what you're saying, and the stereotype sadly is justified, but I have to disagree somewhat because in fairness now we all have to start somewhere, and I'm sure at one stage in your life you too were an unexperienced driver in less than ideal circumstances perhaps due to your financial situation, so apologies if I anger you in any way because I will be a new unexperienced driver.

I will not be driving without a qualified driver without my full license to make this clear and at no point have I stated otherwise.

so then in that case you'd be better off on the bus I presume your folks arent going to sit in the passenger seat while you drive to school.

my advice to you and I done this myself and it worked out cheap enough from an insurance point of view.

Get as many driving lessons as you possibly can pass your test and most insurers will give you a years ncb if you do something like 20 lessons when I done it my first years insurance went from a quote of 3300 TPFT to 2000 euro fully comp at 18 on a Civic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

oldyouth wrote: »
    Try asking an insurer for a quote on a Berlingo and tell them that you are an office worker, student, nurse etc and you will be refused.
    I didn't try for a Berlingo, but I had zero issues insuring a commercial 4x4 with my job being a factory worker (I had a choice of companies with whom I could have taken out a policy). I also know a receiptionist, hair dresser, caretaker, accountant and many other people who do not have careers that would need a commercial at all - the only problem any of them have ever had is when it came to motor tax. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I had the same problem when I was 18 - the best deal I could get was €3,500 to get added to my mom's policy (1.4 Megane), I wouldn't have had a chance of getting my own car so I went down the commercial route - this was back in 2004 so I think insurance for young drivers has come down substantially since.

I got a 2.8 Pajero and paid €2,250 fully comp on a provisional license - looking back that was still silly money but better than €3,500 as a named driver. I originally had it insured through my uncles farm but then switched the policy into my own name in the 2nd or 3rd year to build a NCB - I was a student with a private policy insuring a commercial jeep. I did a serious amount of investigation into this at the time and found that FBD and Quinn were the only ones who offered this. I don't know where people are going saying that you have to have a trade to insure a commercial - I had mine insured for 3 years in my name.

One thing to watch if you do go down this route is that it's a pain not being able to carry more than 1 passengers - I used to carry mates in the back and was always sh1tting it, I was so lucky I never had an accident or got caught.

Again, I never said that people don't have these policies. It was a very popular thing to do a few years ago and, in insurance terms, what you hold, you get to keep. These days, it is not something that insurers (generally) are prepared to offer.

The problem they envisage is the carriage of passengers in the back, for which the driver/insured has responsibility for in the event of an accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Be thankful it's that low, a few years back you'd pay almost double that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

OP,you will be lucky to get it for less than €2500 quid on a private.

Commercial insurance will likely cost you much the same but commercial policies have much less benefits than a private policy.

The best thing for you in the long run is to take the hit now and start earning your own no claims bonus.

Thats the only way to significantly reduce your insurance til you turn 25.

Advertisement