Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17 Year old insurance on classic or commercial

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Top Dog wrote: »
    I didn't try for a Berlingo, but I had zero issues insuring a commercial 4x4 with my job being a factory worker (I had a choice of companies with whom I could have taken out a policy). I also know a receiptionist, hair dresser, caretaker, accountant and many other people who do not have careers that would need a commercial at all - the only problem any of them have ever had is when it came to motor tax. ;)

Update: 2011
    Yes there are people doing that but getting less & less as it's just not worth the hassle & will cost you in the long run WHEN caught. It's the RISK if you get stopped by the gaurds & they are of the opinion you are not using the van for commerical purposes & you can't prove otherwise. Then you are in a spot of bother, they confiscate the van & you end up out of pocket with a nice big fine + paying the correct tax. Not worth it starting off as you'll just mark your card with the local gaurds but it's your choice, just had to give you fair warning.
    (Source: Donegal Garda check vans for tax purposes on wkends)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Top Dog wrote: »
    Whatever about everything else in this thread - the above is simply NOT true. You may be asked to fill out a form with a relevant occupation for commercial MOTOR TAX, but there are no such restrictions on the insurance of a commercial vehicle.

OP have you tried getting any quotes on something simple enough like a Citroen Xsara van, Berlingo or anything along those lines? They're slow, only have 2 seats (so you're less likely to have a bunch of mates along encouraging you to do silly things in the eyes of insurance companies) and if you buy something that already has tax on it you're away on a hack :D

If I could go back to when I started driving then I'd definitely be looking into a small commercial van or a commercial 4x4

But if he's carrying his sister in the passenger seat where does the fully licenced driver sit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

OP,you will be lucky to get it for less than €2500 quid on a private.

Commercial insurance will likely cost you much the same but commercial policies have much less benefits than a private policy.

The best thing for you in the long run is to take the hit now and start earning your own no claims bonus.

Thats the only way to significantly reduce your insurance til you turn 25.

And it's always been a ripp off.

My first insurance quote aged 18 in 1988 was 3000 punts in a 1981 hiace petrol that stood me 300 quid.

Even recently enough. Went back taxiing in 2005 aged 35 with a clean licence , M/bike NCB of 8 yrs, named driver NCB of 8 years but neither could be taken into consideration as the taxi was classed as a commercial policy. AXA quoted 5700 and i ended up paying 4200 with Hibernian on a '99 passat. I know taxi usage means that your are on the road longer than someone commuting 4 hrs a day but that was taking the piss. Taxi insurance is down to a grand now and dropped immediately by 20% when io passed my IAM test in 2006.

I do seem to rember something back a while ago about L platers getting a beetle for there first years or two to keep costs down or a car. Either that or an old type Mini or Renault 4.

Might be a case of making up a car on paper and paying the insurance to get an NCB out of the way. Even if it meant getting insured on paper in the back of beyond over here or with a relative in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine has a full time policy on a 73 Beetle for just under a grand, he's 20 and has no other car insured. With Axa IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres no way round paying up. Lots of people have tried and the Insurance Companies have seen all the angles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

A friend of mine has a full time policy on a 73 Beetle for just under a grand, he's 20 and has no other car insured. With Axa IIRC

How long does he have the policy?
    Did he have other driving exprience before taking the policy out?
    Has he a high excess on it? Is it 3rd party only?

He could have 3 years NCD on a full lic built up at this stage.
    Each case is so different giving an example like that is hard for the OP to relate to as he is just 17.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Farming is the best occupation to use for a commercial vehicle, it is a 24/7 - 365 occupation and you can easily invent any excuse for being anywhere at any time by being a farmer to defeat the guards on the old business hours one. Just make sure you have a pair of wellies and some farming paraphernalia in the van.

A friend of mine was stopped one night by two guards who decided he was not using the van for "business purposes" and were going to seize the van, he said grand so lads and went into the van and pulled out wellingtons coated in sh1te and a few ropes and calving jack, and says "well so guards as ye think I have nothing to do" then ye'll be driving me over there and in across the fields because I've a cow due to calf tonight and that calf will be worth €1,100 below in the mart next fall.

A plumber can have burst pipes in the middle of the night too etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

BronsonTB wrote: »
    How long does he have the policy?
    Did he have other driving exprience before taking the policy out?
    Has he a high excess on it? Is it 3rd party only?

He could have 3 years NCD on a full lic built up at this stage.
    Each case is so different giving an example like that is hard for the OP to relate to as he is just 17.

Sorry, I wasn't necessarily referring to the OP's case. He had 2 years experience previous AFAIK, no high excess and it's fully comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Stinicker wrote: »
    A plumber can have burst pipes in the middle of the night too etc.
    Yep, but highly unlikely coming out of a golf course on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Gardai set up a checkpoint outside the gates of one here a couple of years ago and did as few lads for tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Update: 2011
    Yes there are people doing that but getting less & less as it's just not worth the hassle & will cost you in the long run WHEN caught. It's the RISK if you get stopped by the gaurds & they are of the opinion you are not using the van for commerical purposes & you can't prove otherwise. Then you are in a spot of bother, they confiscate the van & you end up out of pocket with a nice big fine + paying the correct tax. Not worth it starting off as you'll just mark your card with the local gaurds but it's your choice, just had to give you fair warning.
    (Source: Donegal Garda check vans for tax purposes on wkends)
    With regards motor tax - yes. But I thought this thread was about insurance for a young fella? :confused: Motor tax is another thread.
    But if he's carrying his sister in the passenger seat where does the fully licenced driver sit.....
    Jeez - get a Peugeot Expert - 3 seats up front - do I have to think of everything? :pac:

What I'm more curious about, is where is the OP going to find a full licence driver thats going to want to go on the school run? Odds are that the rest of the lads in his class are in the same predicament so what does that leave - car pool with a teacher?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryst

Right, didn't realise that the fully licensed driver was enforced as strictly as it apparently is, but this should probably be a worry as it's illegal to begin off with.
    so it looks like I will just have to use the bus until my full license comes through but I'm afraid there's no hope in hell I'll be able to afford a policy under my own name, so back to square one, but nonetheless thanks for the responses & help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LoveMySamoyed

Sobanek wrote: »
    €2676 for Third Party, Fire & Theft on a 2000 Volvo S40 1.6 :D
    17 Year Old, Learner Permit, No previous experience or NCB.
    Have a look at them Volvos, the 1.8 S40 is cheaper to insure than a 1.4 Golf in most cases.

What insurer quoted you that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

What insurer quoted you that?

That was a long time ago and the insurance went up since then, but it was AXA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

From the AXA Ireland site...

"You must reside in the ROI and have a separate vehicle for everyday personal or business use. Other terms & conditions apply."

Hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

Hi Mate. I am insured through a broker called insure.ie and the insurance company is asgard. I payed 1800 euro for my first year with no experience on my own policy, this way i am building up my NCB and is better in the long run.

I drive a 1.2 1998 corsa b

I hope this can be of help

Thanks.

Advertisement