Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC honours eng.. Hamlet HELP!

• 04-12-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

OKay so I want to try revise Hamlet - haven't looked at it since 5th year- and I looked at the exam papers and I haven't a clue where to begin! Any tips? What should I be learning exactly? I notice a lot of character based questions, mainly Hamlet and Claudius..

Would anyone recommend a revision book for it?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

Did you do any essays on Hamlet last year ? If so Id start by reading over them.
    What im doing is, writing out a v.brief summary of the plot, the quotes I'm going to learn, and then just character sketches(putting each persons qualities or faults down on an A4) and keeping them all in one folder.

To be honest after you do a few essays you realise which points and quotes you use most often so it's not as daunting as it seems at first. At the end of the day its all practice, try to do as many essays as possible and if you dont have the time for that; plan the essays and keep them for further revision purposes or if you get a chance to do the essay in the future.

Hope that helps ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beckyy

Ah, thank you!! The character sketches are a good idea! Yeah, did a few essays last year on Hamlet being the 'tragic hero' and his relationship with Claudius etc., will start with those :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pjmn

Many years ago Patrick (Paddy) Murray taught me English (and Hamlet) - he wrote excellent notes...

http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/hamlet-revised-edition-p-223405.html

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

http://www.mentorbooks.ie/book.aspx?contentid=238

This book is worth every cent! It covers Hamlet, comparative and all the poets on the course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Our teacher used to tell us that there will always be a character-based question and then a question on the theme or plot line.

I'd say study your characters well, especially two relatable characters and just make sure you know the plot line and the themes relatively well. It's your own preference really but make sure you have options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wibblin

i find that if ya know the story and stages of the tragic hero really well it basically can be worked into nearly every hamlet essay (it's worked for me so far :D) and then ya can just tweak it and add bits relating to the question into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beckyy

http://www.mentorbooks.ie/book.aspx?contentid=238

This book is worth every cent! It covers Hamlet, comparative and all the poets on the course! :D

Bought it :) you're right, it's amazing! Although I wonder if we'll all do badly now 'cus the examiner will be reading the same essays over and over again :P

Advertisement