Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best tablet for me?

• 04-12-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭

So im finally getting a tablet but im just unsure which is the best

I was in favour of the Ipad 2 but im hoping folks here can tell me is that the best one at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What would you use it for and you may get better replies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RedXIV wrote: »
    What would you use it for and you may get better replies?

Sorry

Yes

Music
    Internet (big one for me)
    games
    Controlling other electronics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Headshot wrote: »
    Sorry

Yes

Music
    Internet (big one for me)
    games
    Controlling other electronics

Ipad doesn't support flash so you will struggle with browsing sites like Youtube!!! But it's fab!;)

It also depends on how much you want to spend!!

The new Asus Transformer Prime is the business but won't be out until early 2012.

Samsung Galaxy Tab is a brilliant tablet!

Budget tablets such as the Hannspree 53 model @ around €250 are also really good.

Mixed reviews on Motorola Zoom.

I use a HP Touchpad (sorry guys!:o) & it's brilliant but VERY hard to come by!

Hope that gives you some ideas & best of luck!:)

keredern wrote: »
    Ipad doesn't support flash so you will struggle with browsing sites like Youtube!!! But it's fab!;)

It also depends on how much you want to spend!!

The new Asus Transformer Prime is the business but won't be out until early 2012.

Samsung Galaxy Tab is a brilliant tablet!

Budget tablets such as the Hannspree 53 model @ around €250 are also really good.

Mixed reviews on Motorola Zoom.

I use a HP Touchpad (sorry guys!:o) & it's brilliant but VERY hard to come by!

Hope that gives you some ideas & best of luck!:)

500 euro is the budget. I did not know that about the Ipad 2. Not having flash is pretty poor. So how does one watch youtube then :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a YouTube app.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The XOOM has a poor rep because it came out too early and Android #wasnt ready for it but now that the software has been upgraded its an outstanding piece of kit. There is nothing any of the other tabs on the market can do that the XOOM can't do. In actual fact there are more memory and ports in the XOOM than any of the other tabs ands its about a ton cheaper so have a look at this tab also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The ipad is streets ahead of all the others in terms of apps available and overall user experience. You just need to compare something like the Twitter apps on different tablets to see what I mean.

It's also the same price as something like the Samsung tablet.

Youtube works within the browse on the ipad or there's the preinstalled app.
    Flash for mobile is dead anyway according to Adobe.

Try them out if you know friends with a tablet or you can try them side by side in somewhere like PCworld.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The ipad is streets ahead of all the others in terms of apps available and overall user experience. You just need to compare something like the Twitter apps on different tablets to see what I mean.

I'm not a big twitter user.
    I use this on my tablet. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chriswstewart.twitter&feature=search_result
    Seems fine to me. I'm not sure what the iPad version offers that is better.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Flash for mobile is dead anyway according to Adobe.

Try them out if you know friends with a tablet or you can try them side by side in somewhere like PCworld.

I've a Xoom. Flash is not quite dead yet. Yes, Adobe won't be releasing a new version after the next version so it's on it's way out but still loads of sites use it and I do use sites on my tablet that use Flash. It would defeat the purpose if I had to go back to my PC to use some sites. There are apps for some sites but not for all of them so the odd site is unusable without Flash support on the client. Admittedly that has to change with so many Apple devices out there.

The best bit of advice is try a friends tablet. I've converted a couple of friends from their iPads. :D
    But if all of your friends have iPads get one of those. There's nothing worse than looking at an app on your friends device and realising you can't use it on your tablet because it's a different platform, that's how I converted my mates.

Like Ballyman says the Xoom is a great tablet. I have had no hassle with mine (got it in April this year). It can be gotten quite cheap now that the Xoom 2 is out. To use PCWorld as an example the Xoom is €369. The 32GB Wifi iPad 2 is €579. If you're an Apple fan the extra €210 may be worth it. I think iPad is ahead of Android in terms of games so if that's important to you iPad may be the way to go. There are plenty of games on Android though, it's just that iPad has more. That's for you to investigate.

I'm not sure about trying them in PCWorld. You'll get an idea of the size & weight but they never update those tablets or put the best apps on them so you'll be trying a tablet that has been messed with and is probably crashing so you'll think it's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Been thinking about this and its between the sony tablet and Ipad 2 but iv chosen the ipad 2

• Advertisement

I was offered the sony tablet s for 419 euro from my local electrical store

A superb price I have to say, superb

I was fair close to getting it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

YouTube also has a HTML5 mobile site, FWIW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LiamN wrote: »
    YouTube also has a HTML5 mobile site, FWIW.

Yes, but what about embedded youtube links like on here. Jobs was right, html 5 is the future, but flash is very much the present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Headshot wrote: »
    I was offered the sony tablet s for 419 euro from my local electrical store

A superb price I have to say, superb

I was fair close to getting it tbh

I'm getting the 32GB model for chrimbo. Again it was a toss up between this and an iPad2. But
    • the lack of USB ports
    • locked down (and frankly boring) OS
    • the pain in the hole way of having to do everything through iTunes
    • lack of standard support of various video media files
    • better integration with my existing S2

made the choice for an Android based tablet. Researched the various options and plugged for the Sony S1.

Advertisement