Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tru Flight

• 04-12-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Im hoping to re-barrel my sako85 .300WM with a Tru Flight barrel (heavy)

Anyone have experience of these barrel's? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have a 32", Select, heavy, TrueFlite barrel, 1:10 twist in .308 cal on my FTR rig.

Fantastic barrel. No break in required (yet i still done a bit). Easy to clean. Takes half the time, and patches of the factory barrels. The bore is much truer than a factory with deviation of about 1 thou compared to the factory barrels that can go from 7 to 20 tou out (if not more).

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=8317
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Tac wrote: »

for a .300wm id personally go for a krieger or bartlein

truflite do a good barrel but they seem to work best on a mild round (non magnum)
    Ezridax wrote: »
    I have a 32", Select, heavy, TrueFlite barrel, 1:10 twist in .308 cal on my FTR rig.

Fantastic barrel. No break in required (yet i still done a bit). Easy to clean. Takes half the time, and patches of the factory barrels. The bore is much truer than a factory with deviation of about 1 thou compared to the factory barrels that can go from 7 to 20 tou out (if not more).

Custom barrels that are hand lapped are easier cleaned than (most/majority of) factory barrels

Factory compared to custom is like chalk compared to cheese

Hondata92 wrote: »
    for a .300wm id personally go for a krieger or bartlein

truflite do a good barrel but they seem to work best on a mild round (non magnum)

Do you have any of these, including truflite in magnum caliber? What problems do you find with truflite compared to Krieger, Bartlein, etc?
    Custom barrels that are hand lapped are easier cleaned than (most/majority of) factory barrels

Factory compared to custom is like chalk compared to cheese

I know. I was listing the differences between a custom and factory barrel. If the OP already has a custom barrel, and is thinking of changing for another then he will also know. Plus for anyone else reading this thread it gives and idea of what the differences include.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have 2 truflite barrels and I could not be happier with them.

I have a 1/8 .223 and a 1/10 .308 and on both Calibres I find them great.
    I have a medium sporter on the .223 and a Varmint profile on the .308.

Both are Tack Drivers with almost all factory ammo.
    Which I could never find with factory barrels.

you won't regret purchasing one.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

my first ever custom barrel is a truflight. and i couldnt be happier
    03a388ad.jpg
    it has taken this tired old sako and turned it into a tack driver. thanks to ireland custom rifles, it is on a different level to factory barrels

best of luck with your choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

True-flite are good barrels but for F-Class id have a cut barrel over a True-Flite (button)any day .True-Flite make some of the very best .308 barrels on the market .Google Russel Simmons in F-TR ;).Out of the top ten shooters in the F-class euros some weeks ago, 9 used Bartlein (cut ) barrels .Not a True-Flite barrel made it into the top ten in F-CLASS results and only one True-Flite in the top 10 of the F-TR :eek:.Good man Casey :D:D.

I wonder how many of them are choosing other brands because Tru-Flite are relatively new to the barrel manufacturing business (comared to other brands). Like everything else in shooting new manufacturers are slow to catch on amongst shooters.

Currently Tru-Flite are cheaper, and more accessible than Kreiger, etc as Ireland does not "rate" among their priorities when shipping barrels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

A few German F-class lads seem to think Lothar Walther have twice the life span due to the harder wearing steel. Not so important to look back what was used in the past.
    edi

I wonder how many of them are choosing other brands because Tru-Flite are relatively new to the barrel manufacturing business (comared to other brands). Like everything else in shooting new manufacturers are slow to catch on amongst shooters.

Currently Tru-Flite are cheaper, and more accessible than Kreiger, etc as Ireland does not "rate" among their priorities when shipping barrels.
    True-flite are making barrels 10 years longer than Bartlein barrels !Bartlein and kriegers results speak for them selves ,imo. Im not koncking True-Flite barrels.......i know lots of guys thats are happy with them .I have a True-Flite i will be using for a hunting barrel soon ,so happy days !

tomcat220t wrote: »
    True-flite are making barrels 10 years longer than Bartlein barrels !

Just done a quick search and i have;
    • Kregier - 1999
    • Bartlein - 1995
    • True-Flite - 1995
    • Lothar Walther - 1925
    ............ as founding dates for these barrel producing companies. Kinda surprised me. I would have thought that Kreiger, and Bartlein would have been around longer due to their reputation. I know Bartlein, and Kreiger have contracts (Gov. or Military) in the states.
    Bartlein and kriegers results speak for them selves ,imo. Im not koncking True-Flite barrels.......i know lots of guys thats are happy with them .I have a True-Flite i will be using for a hunting barrel soon ,so happy days !

I have no horse in this race either. Just surprised by the results (of founding dates), if they are correct. I have true-flite, and bartlein barrels myself, and am looking at a Kreiger for after the new year. However they are somewhat awkward to get a hold off at the moment.

I shot a rifle recently that had a new Kreiger bull barrel on it. By feck it was heavy. Same size as the True-Flite, but definitely heavier. I didn;t fire enough or properly to give an sort of comparison, but it would be a interesting thing to do.

Get a few lads with multiple barrels or rifles with various barrels of the same dimensions, and do a shoot, clean, performance test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Yes

Decent barrels - you'll be fine.

Just done a quick search and i have;
    • Kregier - 1999
    • Bartlein - 1995
    • True-Flite - 1995
    • Lothar Walther - 1925
    ............ as founding dates for these barrel producing companies. Kinda surprised me. I would have thought that Kreiger, and Bartlein would have been around longer due to their reputation. I know Bartlein, and Kreiger have contracts (Gov. or Military) in the states.

I have no horse in this race either. Just surprised by the results (of founding dates), if they are correct. I have true-flite, and bartlein barrels myself, and am looking at a Kreiger for after the new year. However they are somewhat awkward to get a hold off at the moment.

I shot a rifle recently that had a new Kreiger bull barrel on it. By feck it was heavy. Same size as the True-Flite, but definitely heavier. I didn;t fire enough or properly to give an sort of comparison, but it would be a interesting thing to do.

Get a few lads with multiple barrels or rifles with various barrels of the same dimensions, and do a shoot, clean, performance test?
    Bartlein have only been making barrels since late 05 !10 yards after True-flite started !Krieger barrels have been in bussiness since 1982 .It was former krieger workers that left to set up Bartlein barrels in 2005 .

!10 yards after True-flite ...........

I'll let that one slide. :D
    Bartlein have only been making barrels since late 05

You're right though. I was reading their profile page, and they said they were in the firearms business for 15+ years. I took that to mean making barrels.:o It's even more surprising to think they have only been at it 6 years.:eek:

I'll let that one slide. :D

You're right though. I was reading their profile page, and they said they were in the firearms business for 15+ years. I took that to mean making barrels.:o It's even more surprising to think they have only been at it 6 years.:eek:
    Yea,young company but state of the art barrel making equipment .Was talking to Larry bartholomew at the creedmoor match and he had been to the bartlein factory !It was he who pointed in their direction, as the best match barrels on the market ,today ;).Any way ,im sure the OP will be very happy with a True-Flite barrel ........as far as i know ,True-Flite only export their ULTRA MATCH grade barrels to their uk distributor .

Yea,young company but state of the art barrel making equipment .Was talking to Larry bartholomew at the creedmoor match and he had been to the bartlein factory !It was he who pointed in their direction, as the best match barrels on the market ,today
    They are, and they landed on their feet with the Savage contract for the FTR, F-Class rifles.
    ;).Any way ,im sure the OP will be very happy with a True-Flite barrel ........as far as i know ,True-Flite only export their ULTRA MATCH grade barrels to their uk distributor .
    I believe so. Fergal White gets his barrels from the same distributor in the UK so he has access to them.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

Lads thanks a mill for all the advice and opinions. much appreciated.
    ill probably go for the Tru Flight barrel, was talking to F. White. I'll be using it mainly for hunting so it should be more than accurate enough for me..
    Thanks again guys.

Do you have any of these, including truflite in magnum caliber? What problems do you find with truflite compared to Krieger, Bartlein, etc?

I havent experienced it myself but my brother in the uk has.

Using a 7/270wsm he noticed that after 9-10 rounds that his groups were opening up (@1000yards) he changed to a kreiger and now if the groups open up exponentially its because of him and not his setup, he has the same action/stock and front /back rest but with a kreiger bartlein/brux(dif tey dint make so few tey dint make so few)
    Trueflite do a good barrel for a cool round such as the .223/.308 but if you are doing F-Open there are better barrels to use (kreiger/bartlein or brux if they didnt make so few)
    Lads thanks a mill for all the advice and opinions. much appreciated.
    ill probably go for the Tru Flight barrel, was talking to F. White. I'll be using it mainly for hunting so it should be more than accurate enough for me..
    Thanks again guys.

If its only hunting you are doing then you will be ok with a trueflite once thats what you get

Hondata92 wrote: »
    Using a 7/270wsm he noticed that after 9-10 rounds that his groups were opening up (@1000yards) he changed to a kreiger and now if the groups open up exponentially its because of him and not his setup, ..........

How did he identify the barrel as cause of his poor grouping. If his shots are still opening up at a 1,000 yards, how did he make pinpoint that the True-Flite barrel was the cause if he still gets it with the Kreiger?

I know a lad that recently went through two rifles (not just barrels) convinced he was getting poor groups/scores because the guns were "lemons". There is only so much sugar coating you can put on words before you have to tell someone that they need to either practice or take up golf.:rolleyes:

How did he identify the barrel as cause of his poor grouping. If his shots are still opening up at a 1,000 yards, how did he make pinpoint that the True-Flite barrel was the cause if he still gets it with the Kreiger?

I know a lad that recently went through two rifles (not just barrels) convinced he was getting poor groups/scores because the guns were "lemons". There is only so much sugar coating you can put on words before you have to tell someone that they need to either practice or take up golf.:rolleyes:

sorry for a poor post, my laptop is acting up.

he shot the trueflite for 300rounds (200 fireforming rounds plus break in) but when it came to groups @ 1000yards after 9-10 rounds his groups were all over the place, he got his gunsmith to scope the barrel and nothing was found to be wrong.

After much frustration he decided to get a kreiger barrel fitted, he fired a 20 round string after breaking in (no fireforming) and straight away his groups didnt widen exponentially.

Truflite are very good for the likes of a .223/.308 but not for a hot round such as the 7/270

Thats annoying that he hasn't gotten a reason for why the groups opened up.

When you consider the avergae 308 round (Target of course) has maybe 46-48 grains of powder and the average 7/270, 7mmWSM, 7mm/300wsm could have 64+ grains of powder. Much hotter load, and could cause excessive barrel heating (of a meium or thinner profile barrel) leading to heating of the round in the chamber, causing spreading of groups.

Of course thats only one possiblity out of many.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=8317

Thats one fine rifle ezridax:D
    What pricerange would a 28-30 inch barrell be?
    And what weight?
    Thanks
    NW

Thats one fine rifle ezridax:D
    Cheers.:)
    What pricerange would a 28-30 inch barrell be?
    In True-Flite, approx. €350 - €420 depending on contour, length, etc. Then the price of fitting. For a kreiger i think they run around the €450- €500 mark. Could be wrong, but haven't bought one yet. When i do i'll let ya know.
    And what weight?
    For the barrel alone?
    • My True-Flite 32" is about 7.5lb. (Heavy, bull contour, 32")
    • My True-Flite 30" is about 6.15lb (Medium, Palma contour, 30")
    • MY Bartlein 30" is about 7.1lb (Heavy, bull contour, 32")
    For barrel and rifle. In the same order as above including scope, rings, mounts, bipod, stock, action, bolt;
    • 19.12lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    • 17.56lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    • 18.66lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    Same as above just this time using a bipod i made myself;
    • 17.90lbs
    • 16.30lbs
    • 17.34lbs

Thanks

yes in the FTR it could be hard to keep it below the weight limit,thats why i wondered about the weight.;):D
    Think i need a lighter stock if i was to get a custombarrel:)
    Thanks

NW

Take the items individually, and assume the heaviest for each, and this will give you an idea as to the barrel weigth, hence length, you can get.

So assume the following;
    • Stock - 4.5 - 5lbs
    • Action & bolt - 2.5 - 3bs
    • Scope - 1.5 - 2.25lbs
    • Rings and mounts - 0.5lb
    • Bipod - 1.25 - 2.25lbs
    So you have between 10.25 - 12.75lbs in the rig without a barrel. So if it comes in at the 10.25lb mark you have a total of 18.18lbs meaning you have 7.93lbs spare. This is good enough for a Krieger, bull contour, heavy, 32" barrel.
    If its the latter, and you are running at 12.75lbs without a barrel its only leaves you 5.43lbs. Thats about enough for a medium, Palma profile, 30" barrel. Eve then you may have to go for a match barrel.

Point being weigh everything or find out th weight before buying. now what you are getting, and don't end up with a rifle that is overweight from the off. Its easy to build to a weight limit. Not so easy to shed the weight after its built.

Thanks Ezri

Ill ask Fergal when i go up tomorrow,so i get an idea of what barrels he recommends,and can get hold of.
    But still the old factory barrel will still hold a another 2-3000 rounds.:D
    I was shooting on the 1000 yard range last time i was home,thats was a real great day.Got some great advice from the lads up there:D
    unfortunately my rounds went past supersonic and started to be unstable with the 155gr HPS,but atleast i was on paper ;)
    I belive the lapua scenars will stay supersonic acc to my ballistics computer,so ill give them a try next time.;)

.Got some great advice from the lads up there:D

They're a friendly bunch alright.:cool:
    unfortunately my rounds went past supersonic and started to be unstable with the 155gr HPS,but atleast i was on paper ;)

Really. As in they slowed to transsonic?

What length is your barrel?
    I belive the lapua scenars will stay supersonic acc to my ballistics computer,so ill give them a try next time.;)

i have some Lapua scenars. They're a good round. hey are much longer than their Sierra or Berger counterpart so you can actually load them like a 190grain bullet meaning they will also work in a 1:10 twist barrel.

Thing about Scenars is they like the 2950fps range in speed. Any faster and in high winds they do not do well.

My barrell is 26",but still not enough to keep them supersonic,but they will certainly do up to 800 or even 900,but beyond that transsonic yes.:(
    I was chronying the rounds before i shot them,and both was in the (860m/s)2850 fps region,but i didnt try the scenars that day,but it has a higher BC so i belive it will be more stable than the HPS.
    And even with the G7 value its should stay supersonic with the scanars,but not the HPS.:)
    I belive they use the old sierra matchkings 155gr in the HPS ammo,if it was the newer version it would have stayed supersonic past 1000 yards.:D

The HPS 155 use Sierra 155gr bullets.I chrono'd mine also and was getting 2935 ave. with themin a 30" barrelled rifle. However in my TRG they were closer to 2750. Myself and 3 other lads were using 26" barreled TRGs and were well able to hit the 1,000 yard with a high degree of accuracy. The lads that kept their TRGs rebarrelled simply to achieve higher speeds, and for increased accuracy, but not because they couldn't shoot 1,000.

I'm in no way trying to smart or ignorant, but i believe there could be more to this. For a start i think the speeds you have of 2850 could be higher than you are actually getting. The average i was getting with the TRG was in and around the 2750 mark. Have a look at what 2850 shows at 1,000;

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11383

Now compare that to the same but with a 2750 value for the speed;
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11384

While there is only a 50+fps difference look at the adjustment for the scope. 3.25 extra minutes. Plus with 2850 you are in the transsonic speeds, but with 2750 you are pretty much subsonic. I would imagine that the speeds you are getting are closer to the 2750 mark hence the problems at 1,000 yards. The bullet would not be stable, would be easily blown in any sprt of a wind, and hence you loose accuracy.

As for the Lapua. they have the BC of a heavier 190gr bullet, but i still believe suffer from being pushed too fast so you can only push them as hard as a 190 bullet. However look at the difference with them using the same speeds as above;

2850 fps
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11385

2750 fps
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11386

Of course a BalCal is not exactly perfect. It'll give you approximates not exacts.

The HPS 155 use Sierra 155gr bullets.I chrono'd mine also and was getting 2935 ave. with themin a 30" barrelled rifle. However in my TRG they were closer to 2750. Myself and 3 other lads were using 26" barreled TRGs and were well able to hit the 1,000 yard with a high degree of accuracy. The lads that kept their TRGs rebarrelled simply to achieve higher speeds, and for increased accuracy, but not because they couldn't shoot 1,000.

I'm in no way trying to smart or ignorant, but i believe there could be more to this. For a start i think the speeds you have of 2850 could be higher than you are actually getting. The average i was getting with the TRG was in and around the 2750 mark. Have a look at what 2850 shows at 1,000;

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11383

Now compare that to the same but with a 2750 value for the speed;
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11384

While there is only a 50+fps difference look at the adjustment for the scope. 3.25 extra minutes. Plus with 2850 you are in the transsonic speeds, but with 2750 you are pretty much subsonic. I would imagine that the speeds you are getting are closer to the 2750 mark hence the problems at 1,000 yards. The bullet would not be stable, would be easily blown in any sprt of a wind, and hence you loose accuracy.

As for the Lapua. they have the BC of a heavier 190gr bullet, but i still believe suffer from being pushed too fast so you can only push them as hard as a 190 bullet. However look at the difference with them using the same speeds as above;

2850 fps
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11385

2750 fps
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11386

Of course a BalCal is not exactly perfect. It'll give you approximates not exacts.

Yes it certainly could be an error with the Chrony:D
    Thats most likely,cause i spoke with other lads up there the same day,and they said other chronys had shown funny readings that day as well,so you never know.

Anyway i am gettin this from my Ballistics on the G7 readings.

Sierra Matchking 155gr
    Date: 06/12/2011 Time: 02:22
    3DOF BALLISTICS - TRAJECTORY
    Sierra .308 155 gr Palma MK (2155) G7 BC (Radar)
    BULLET ATMOSPHERE SIGHT
    Caliber: 0.308 in Temperature: 15 Celsius Sight Type: SMOA
    Bullet Weight: 155 gr Pressure: 1013.25 mbar Sight Height: 4.3 cm
    G7 BC: 0.214 lb/in^2 Humidity: 78 % Sight Offset: 0 cm
    G7 Form Factor: 1.091 Wind Speed: 10 km/h Look Angle: 0 deg.
    Muzzle Velocity: 860.0 m/s Wind Dir.: 90 deg. Zero Range: 100 meters
    Stability Factor: 2.01 Vertical W.Sp.: 0 km/h Elevation Angle II: 4.2695 SMOA
    Spin Drift: NO Multiple Wind Zones: NO
    Coriolis Drift: NO Elevation Angle II: NO
    | Range|Velocity|Velocity| Energy| Drop| Drop| TOF| Drift| Drift|
    | meters| m/s| Mach| Joules| cm| SMOA| sec| cm| SMOA|
    | 0| 860.0| 2.52| 3714| -4.3| 0.00| 0.0000| 0.0| 0.00|
    | 50| 823.6| 2.41| 3407| -0.3| 0.25| 0.0594| -0.4| 0.26|
    | 100| 788.1| 2.31| 3120| 0.0| 0.00| 0.1215| -1.4| 0.52|
    | 150| 753.5| 2.21| 2851| -3.6| 0.87| 0.1863| -3.3| 0.80|
    | 200| 719.7| 2.11| 2601| -11.5| 2.08| 0.2542| -6.0| 1.09|
    | 250| 686.8| 2.01| 2369| -24.2| 3.49| 0.3253| -9.6| 1.39|
    | 300| 654.7| 1.92| 2153| -42.1| 5.05| 0.3999| -14.2| 1.71|
    | 350| 623.5| 1.83| 1952| -65.7| 6.75| 0.4781| -19.8| 2.04|
    | 400| 593.1| 1.74| 1767| -95.6| 8.60| 0.5604| -26.5| 2.38|
    | 450| 563.5| 1.65| 1595| -132.5| 10.60| 0.6468| -34.4| 2.75|
    | 500| 534.8| 1.57| 1436| -177.1| 12.75| 0.7379| -43.5| 3.13|
    | 550| 506.7| 1.49| 1289| -230.3| 15.07| 0.8340| -54.1| 3.54|
    | 600| 479.1| 1.40| 1153| -293.1| 17.58| 0.9354| -66.1| 3.97|
    | 650| 452.2| 1.33| 1027| -366.5| 20.30| 1.0429| -79.8| 4.42|
    | 700| 425.9| 1.25| 911| -452.0| 23.24| 1.1568| -95.3| 4.90|
    | 750| 400.6| 1.17| 806| -551.0| 26.45| 1.2779| -112.8| 5.41|
    | 800| 376.1| 1.10| 711| -665.3| 29.94| 1.4067| -132.4| 5.96|
    | 850| 352.8| 1.03| 625| -797.0| 33.75| 1.5440| -154.5| 6.54|
    | 900| 332.7| 0.98| 556| -948.4| 37.93| 1.6902| -178.9| 7.16|
    | 950| 320.7| 0.94| 517| -1122.0| 42.51| 1.8436| -205.4| 7.78|
    | 1000| 312.2| 0.92| 489| -1319.3| 47.49| 2.0018| -233.2| 8.39|

As you can see it goes subsonic at 900 meters 1000 yards(914m) and this is with G7 and doppler radar calculations,so it should be pretty accurate.

The Lapua scenar 155gr

3DOF BALLISTICS - TRAJECTORY
    Lapua .308 154 gr Scenar GB491 G7 BC (Radar)
    BULLET ATMOSPHERE SIGHT
    Caliber: 0.308 in Temperature: 15 Celsius Sight Type: SMOA
    Bullet Weight: 154 gr Pressure: 1013.25 mbar Sight Height: 4.3 cm
    G7 BC: 0.236 lb/in^2 Humidity: 78 % Sight Offset: 0 cm
    G7 Form Factor: 0.983 Wind Speed: 10 km/h Look Angle: 0 deg.
    Muzzle Velocity: 860.0 m/s Wind Dir.: 90 deg. Zero Range: 100 meters
    Stability Factor: 1.36 Vertical W.Sp.: 0 km/h Elevation Angle II: 4.2695 SMOA
    Spin Drift: NO Multiple Wind Zones: NO
    Coriolis Drift: NO Elevation Angle II: NO
    | Range|Velocity|Velocity| Energy| Drop| Drop| TOF| Drift| Drift| Lead| Lead|
    | meters| m/s| Mach| Joules| cm| SMOA| sec| cm| SMOA| cm| SMOA|
    | 0| 860.0| 2.52| 3690| -4.3| 0.00| 0.0000| 0.0| 0.00| | |
    | 50| 827.0| 2.42| 3413| -0.4| 0.26| 0.0593| -0.3| 0.23| | |
    | 100| 794.7| 2.33| 3151| 0.0| 0.00| 0.1210| -1.3| 0.47| | |
    | 150| 763.1| 2.24| 2906| -3.5| 0.85| 0.1852| -3.0| 0.72| | |
    | 200| 732.2| 2.15| 2675| -11.3| 2.03| 0.2520| -5.4| 0.98| | |
    | 250| 702.0| 2.06| 2459| -23.6| 3.40| 0.3218| -8.7| 1.25| | |
    | 300| 672.6| 1.97| 2257| -40.9| 4.91| 0.3945| -12.7| 1.53| | |
    | 350| 643.8| 1.89| 2068| -63.6| 6.54| 0.4705| -17.7| 1.82| | |
    | 400| 615.7| 1.80| 1891| -92.2| 8.30| 0.5499| -23.6| 2.12| | |
    | 450| 588.3| 1.72| 1727| -127.4| 10.19| 0.6330| -30.5| 2.44| | |
    | 500| 561.6| 1.65| 1574| -169.6| 12.21| 0.7200| -38.5| 2.78| | |
    | 550| 535.5| 1.57| 1431| -219.6| 14.37| 0.8111| -47.7| 3.12| | |
    | 600| 510.0| 1.49| 1298| -278.1| 16.68| 0.9068| -58.2| 3.49| | |
    | 650| 484.9| 1.42| 1173| -346.1| 19.17| 1.0074| -69.9| 3.87| | |
    | 700| 460.4| 1.35| 1058| -424.5| 21.83| 1.1132| -83.2| 4.28| | |
    | 750| 436.3| 1.28| 950| -514.5| 24.69| 1.2247| -98.0| 4.71| | |
    | 800| 413.0| 1.21| 851| -617.4| 27.78| 1.3425| -114.6| 5.16| | |
    | 850| 390.4| 1.14| 760| -734.7| 31.12| 1.4671| -133.1| 5.64| | |
    | 900| 368.5| 1.08| 678| -868.2| 34.72| 1.5990| -153.6| 6.14| | |
    | 950| 347.7| 1.02| 603| -1019.7| 38.64| 1.7387| -176.3| 6.68| | |
    | 1000| 330.7| 0.97| 546| -1191.5| 42.89| 1.8865| -201.2| 7.24| | |

Here it shows subsonic somewhere between 950 and 1000 meters.

On the G1 value,both stays supersonic way past 1000 yards;)

• Advertisement

Thats annoying that he hasn't gotten a reason for why the groups opened up.

When you consider the avergae 308 round (Target of course) has maybe 46-48 grains of powder and the average 7/270, 7mmWSM, 7mm/300wsm could have 64+ grains of powder. Much hotter load, and could cause excessive barrel heating (of a meium or thinner profile barrel) leading to heating of the round in the chamber, causing spreading of groups.

Of course thats only one possiblity out of many.

his smith did advise going for a cut barrel but he insisted on a trueflite

Same stock,action,reamer,smith,head,brass only difference was a slight change on powder load but achieving the same velocity

When he said it to other shooters that he was using a trueflite they asked why he didnt go for a bartlein :pac:

The .308 even running a high speed from a heavy round is still cooler than a 7/270 so thats possibly why his groups opened up
    Cheers.smile.gif

In True-Flite, approx. €350 - €420 depending on contour, length, etc. Then the price of fitting. For a kreiger i think they run around the €450- €500 mark. Could be wrong, but haven't bought one yet. When i do i'll let ya know.

For the barrel alone?
    • My True-Flite 32" is about 7.5lb. (Heavy, bull contour, 32")
    • My True-Flite 30" is about 6.15lb (Medium, Palma contour, 30")
    • MY Bartlein 30" is about 7.1lb (Heavy, bull contour, 32")
    For barrel and rifle. In the same order as above including scope, rings, mounts, bipod, stock, action, bolt;
    • 19.12lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    • 17.56lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    • 18.66lbs (With Sinclair bipod)
    Same as above just this time using a bipod i made myself;
    • 17.90lbs
    • 16.30lbs
    • 17.34lbs

Im guessing your running a switch barrel setup??

Are all your barrels trueflite?

Advertisement