Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading graphics card

Options
  • 04-12-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if its worth upgrading my graphics card I play some games and they are noticeably poor quality with my current card

I mostly watch films movies/tv shows I have the computer hooked up to a 50" screen I don't know if that makes a difference.

ATI radeon hd 3600 Graphics card
    Motherboard is an asus p5n-d
    Intel Q6600 processor
    6GB DDR 2 Ram

I hadn't planned on spending more than €100.00 but could spend €150.00 for that price and my existing hardware is it worth upgrading any advice is appreciated as when it comes to graphics I haven't a clue.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cintec wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if its worth upgrading my graphics card I play some games and they are noticeably poor quality with my current card

I mostly watch films movies/tv shows I have the computer hooked up to a 50" screen I don't know if that makes a difference.

ATI radeon hd 3600 Graphics card
    Motherboard is an asus p5n-d
    Intel Q6600 processor
    6GB DDR 2 Ram

I hadn't planned on spending more than €100.00 but could spend €150.00 for that price and my existing hardware is it worth upgrading any advice is appreciated as when it comes to graphics I haven't a clue.

What sort of a PSU do you have? You would want at least a good quality 400-450W unit for getting cards in the 100-150 price bracket price bracket.

The upgrade would absolutely be worth it as your CPU is still pretty decent, but your GPU (I presume it is actually a PCIe HD3650?, as that is the only model I can find) was a very average mid range GOU on release 3 years ago when it was released.

I would probably go for the AMD HD6790, if you want to spend a bit less a HD 6770 or f if you want to spend a little bit more then a HD6850 or Nvidia GT460. I would say that even the cheapest card in that list the HD6770 would be somewhere in the region of a5-6X times more powerful than what you have currently.

The PSU details are probably the most important piece of information before making a firm reccomendation.

Advertisement