Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are spring rolls vegetarian

Options
  • 04-12-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

the ones from typical chinese restaurants here in ireland?

i tried asking in my local takeaway but the girls working there have very little english and did not understand me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

tamzz wrote: »
    the ones from typical chinese restaurants here in ireland?

i tried asking in my local takeaway but the girls working there have very little english and did not understand me.

Most restaurants have an option of either meat (usually pork or duck) and vegetarian. If they don't have an option then I would always presume it has meat in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

By default yes. Unless you order vegetarian spring rolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have found that pre-packaged spring rolls are generally suitable for vegans. If they are from a take away it's the oil in which they were deep-fried that you might want to consider. I presume that they are generally ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

pretty sure vegetarian/vegetable spring rolls are fine. Not too keen on supermarket ones but ones from a chinese take-away or homemade ones are yum

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tamzz

cheers for the replies

the takeaway offers "spring rolls" and "vegetarian rolls"

i rang up the other night and there was a different woman on the phone so i asked if the spring rolls were vegetarian and she said yes so i ordered them....then they actually delivered the vegetarian rolls!

the vegetarian rolls have lots of carrots and some white vegetable in them..nice but nothing special. i havent had the spring rolls since i turned vegetarian but i remember they had beansprouts, little black stuff (looked like seaweed or something!) and lots of other vegetable fillings but there was no obvious taste or chunks of meat but they must not be vegetarian for whatever reason :( such a shame!

i have had the ones from supermarkets and they are very similar to the "vegetarian rolls" option in my local chinese..nice but nothing amazing!

thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

tamzz wrote: »
    !

i have had the ones from supermarkets and they are very similar to the "vegetarian rolls" option in my local chinese..nice but nothing amazing!

thanks all

The Tesco/Ken Hom ones are popular in Chez Slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

with all take away chinese food i worry about fish sauce/oyster sauce and chicken stock.

they seem to include thesee products as veggie friendly.

I havent eaten anything form a chinese place in over 12 years because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just as an aside, oyster sauce is not made from oysters themselves, rather oyster mushrooms so they shouldnt be a problem for vegetarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

VW 1 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, oyster sauce is not made from oysters themselves, rather oyster mushrooms so they shouldnt be a problem for vegetarians.

lol your kidding me!

not what wikipedia says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm fairly certain that I read that on the cooking forum of this site, maybe someone had their information wrong but I definitely read it here!

EDIT:

Cant find the thread with a quick search, but I see there is a vegetarian variant of oyster sauce made from oyster mushrooms, apologies for my initial mistake!

• Advertisement
Advertisement