Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Viking Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

but if you used the pacer and the pack you could slot behind them and shelter from the wind.:D

after 7-8 miles there may no be much of a pack to shelter behind.. remember numbers not on a DCM scale..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

4 stars (good)
    after 7-8 miles there may no be much of a pack to shelter behind.. remember numbers not on a DCM scale..:D
    as long as theres two i b grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck everybody - hope it goes well for all

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

4 stars (good)
    slowsteady wrote: »
    .....if nothing else the encouragement from the half starters will give everyone a push - at least I hope so.

Pity they'll all have left by the time I get there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

as long as theres two i b grand:)
    I forgot you were pacing your buddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

4 stars (good)
    Not long to go now,good ol buzz around the RSC earlier while collecting my number.Good luck to everyone doing it (just hope speed merchants like sosa,ray & company leave some hot water in the showers for us slow coaches afterwards !!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Time for Bed ....best of luck to all at WVM tomorrow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lurker here, and I break a sweat starting up me car, so please bear with me. :o

My wife and I both know people running tomorrow, so we've decided to go and cheer them on. I suppose by Newtown School would be a good place to go a little after 9? We can see them approaching up by DLS and pick them out there.

We're going to Tramore to a friend's for lunch, so we reckon we might get parked before the race rolls in, and then cheer down near the Tramore Ring Road/Waterford Road (between mile 16 and 17), so I guess the main field should be coming through around 11.20 or so, would that be a fair estimate?

Good luck to all the runners, and a special welcome to all those coming to Waterford for the first time tomorrow. Hope you won't leave it so long the next time! Great that we have this event now, and hopefully it will go from strength to strength, so that more people will experience the wonderful Waterford welcome! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

good luck to everyone tomorrow,
    Didn't sign up for this one even though on the scale of things its pretty local to me....oh well perhaps next year.

For all the first timers, enjoy the experience,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

fricatus wrote: »
    Lurker here, and I break a sweat starting up me car, so please bear with me. :o

My wife and I both know people running tomorrow, so we've decided to go and cheer them on. I suppose by Newtown School would be a good place to go a little after 9? We can see them approaching up by DLS and pick them out there.

We're going to Tramore to a friend's for lunch, so we reckon we might get parked before the race rolls in, and then cheer down near the Tramore Ring Road/Waterford Road (between mile 16 and 17), so I guess the main field should be coming through around 11.20 or so, would that be a fair estimate?

Good luck to all the runners, and a special welcome to all those coming to Waterford for the first time tomorrow. Hope you won't leave it so long the next time! Great that we have this event now, and hopefully it will go from strength to strength, so that more people will experience the wonderful Waterford welcome! :D
    At 17 mile leaders should be 10.40 assuming a sub 2.30 wins it. Re locations you seen to know more abot Bla land than us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

4 stars (good)
    Just turning in for the night now. Got a notion for a loop the loop half an hour ago when attaching my number to my shirt! Had to leave the hotel and find a shop but it was worth it.
    Best of luck tomorrow to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

4 stars (good)
    Interrupted nights sleep - something on my mind:p - so up early. Cool, currently dry but a brisk SW breeze which is not a good sign. Checking radar on Met Eireann the rain front is currently on the Clare coast and looks likely to be down our way by mid-morning, hopefully only light cooling rain:).

As good as it gets this summer, have a good one.

4 stars (good)
    job done,helped pace a friend around waterford for his first sub 3hr,he came in at 2.59.05 and managed to win the over 40 title as a little bonus,well done finlay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    job done,helped pace a friend around waterford for his first sub 3hr,he came in at 2.59.10 and managed to win the over 40 title as a little bonus,well done finlay:)
    Well done ray, you had your doubters, i wasn't one of them. Well done buddy, your right a monster:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Well done all who ran today, PB for me. Results up on Precision Timing

4 stars (good)
    for the second race in a row i never looked at the clock and never stopped my garmin,but got results there,2hr57.45,only 35 seconds from a pb,got 10th place aswell:D.im going to smash that pb to pieces when i decide to go for it.great day overall,felt very strange running a marathon on roads i train on.

4 stars (good)
    Missed a PB myself by 21 seconds, but at a much lower level:).

Flying but cramped badly from 18 miles, hit the 'wall' at 24, so near but so far - thems the breaks.

Great day, great weather (surprisingly), good atmosphere, great organisation - you would never guess I was local:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Great race. Have to say the support along the route was absolutely fantastic, on a par with the best I've experienced per head of capita (that includes New York and Dublin) Everybody from 1-100 out shouting and clapping. Well organized and marshaled. The makings of a great race me thinks.
    Found the first half a real killer, the hills really found me out and a PB was never really on the cards after that, struggled from Tramore put managed to run/walk off some problems to finish strong enough over the last 4. 20 minutes slower than PB:o but surprisingly happy as training had been patchy at best because illness since my last outing in Cork.
    Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Great race alright. Very good considering it is their first year. The only negative was the toilets at the beginning. I started queuing about 20 mins before race start and only got out with less than 5mins to go. After I left there was still a huge queue. They should get the troughs that are at concerts for the men. It would free up all the toilets for the ladies. I believe there wasnt enough at the half marathon start also.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

4 stars (good)
    As sideswipe said,the support along the route was brilliant,there was definitely a few that were there on the way out along by Superquinn & were there again on the way back still encouraging everyone on.
    Well done to everyone involved,I thoroughly my first marathon:)
    There was plenty of water along the route with others giving out sweets.
    Felt there was a good buzz with 3 miles remaining with the music and more water being handed out.
    Plenty of water & lucozade again at the finish & a good hot shower to finish off the day:cool:
    Got in in under 3.49 which I'm thrilled with especially as some more experienced runners were saying it was a tough course.
    Even though I can't put weight on the heel of my foot right now & being pampered at home I think this marathon bug may be catching:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant from start to finish. Great crowds, very friendly locals, great route, great weather, loads of water, loads of gels, loads of isotonic, lovely views. Grandstand finish. Best yet. My time was down but did Belfast a few weeks earlier so to be expected. A MUST!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

brilliantly organised event, fair play to the organisers and the stewards and the Waterford public came out in force, well done everyone. I set a PB by 1 min 20 sec. I had targetted a quicker time but it wasnt to be, I found the first half tough personally and especially the hill at around mile 12. Got to the half in 1.55 bout 4 mins slower that I would have liked and in the end I think Im lucky to get the PB, had to stop to walk for ten secs with two miles to go as I thought I was going to get sick,
    Anyway well done again to everyone involved and I would seriously consider running it next year.

3 stars (average)
    For a first time marathon is was very very good. One to rival every marathon in country. I just have one small gripe, who's idea was it to put the mile markers im decending order. Would have really thrown me if i was pacing off a stop watch and pace band. Never say this before.

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    For a first time marathon is was very very good. One to rival every marathon in country. I just have one small gripe, who's idea was it to put the mile markers im decending order. Would have really thrown me if i was pacing off a stop watch and pace band. Never say this before.

Mile markers were for distance 'to go' rather than measured from the start so were 385 yards after the true mile marks. A bit confusing alright and a bit depressing if you were having a bad day.

3 stars (average)
    slowsteady wrote: »
    Oisin11178 wrote: »

Mile markers were for distance 'to go' rather than measured from the start so were 385 yards after the true mile marks. A bit confusing alright and a bit depressing if you were having a bad day.
    Yeah i know so with 15 miles to im you had run 11.2 miles. Imagine with your head up your arse near the end trying to do the maths with a race band set up for miles ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Realy enjoyed the day . The support was amazing , i especially enjoyed it because I was wearing a Kilkenny running vest so there was lots of friendly banter. I didnt get a P.B but still would have to say everything was run brilliantly apart for one thing, I was parked at WIT and the changing rooms or toilets didnt open there till almost twenty past eight, would have thought they should have been open from 7.45 at the latest, other than that well done on a great day everyone congrats !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

4 stars (good)
    Brilliant race today. Well done to all involved. Considering it was the first Waterford marathon I think everything was covered. Plenty of water at plenty of stops, gels, lucozade sport. Great support from the people of Waterford and Tramore. Loads of stewards. To top it all off, got a pb by almost 7 mins:D:D:D. Saw Des Whelan of WLR after the race and thanked him for putting Waterford firmly on the marathon map.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

4 stars (good)
    Realy enjoyed the day . The support was amazing , i especially enjoyed it because I was wearing a Kilkenny running vest so there was lots of friendly banter. I didnt get a P.B but still would have to say everything was run brilliantly apart for one thing, I was parked at WIT and the changing rooms or toilets didnt open there till almost twenty past eight, would have thought they should have been open from 7.45 at the latest, other than that well done on a great day everyone congrats !!!!!!

Brave running in that Kilkenny top! I think I was close to you at Superquinn at the end and there was a good bit of Up the Deise going on but you took off a rate of knots and I couldn't keep up with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

4 stars (good)
    Very enjoyable event. Nice route, nicely mix between city, country and towns, didnt fancy last 3 miles or so which were about a bit monotonous. Mile markers counting down annoyed me as well.
    The people of Waterford were exceptional though, especially considering this is the 1st running of the event.
    Overall, very impressed, well done to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I was well impressed with the organisation and facilities along the route. I only brought enough water to get me to Tramore and it was great to be able to dump the belt and rely on the supplied water/lucozade on the way back.
    It was fantastic finishing at the rsc but maybe for next year the route should possibly take in more of the city instead of some pretty boring back roads around Tramore.

Fantastic overall though and I'm already looking forward to doing it all over again next year!

Advertisement