Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

film equipment

Options
  • 04-12-2011 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there!

I was just curious as to what film equipment the film and tv course has. in terms of film cameras i am pretty sure theres an Arri, but i would like to know if there is an Aaton, also does each film student get their own roll of stock to shoot off or is the course more digital oriented.

any info would be great..

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

chasing wrote: »
    Hi there!

I was just curious as to what film equipment the film and tv course has. in terms of film cameras i am pretty sure theres an Arri, but i would like to know if there is an Aaton, also does each film student get their own roll of stock to shoot off or is the course more digital

We have two Arri Super 16mm Cameras. One is an SRII and the other we just acquired (used but in very good nic) an SRIII I think. We did have an Aton but it has been retired.

We shoot on film in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year projects. We provide the film stock, processing and transfer. However it's not a roll to each student. Usually a student (or group of students) pitch for a given project and if that project is selected it receives the stock etc.

In 4th year the cameras are available to students for grad films.

We also shoot tons of digital. We're currently moving away from tape based cameras to larger chip tapeless ones.

It's impossible to tell what will happen in the future though. If, eventually the labs stop processing super 16mm it'll become very difficult to continue using film. However the new camera came with a good set of primes that can be moved over to our high end digital cameras.

Hope this helps some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chasing

aww poor aaton, they are such great cameras but all the models i have came across are hanging on by a thread.

and no film will never die, even if we have to resort to processing our own b&w stock ourselves photography style, in a big bath of fixer, :p

anyway thanks very much for that, it helped ease my curiosity, :)

Advertisement