Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 5 GOAT

• 04-12-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

Who would you list as your top 5 (artists or groups) dead or alive?

Mine would probably be:

Tupac
    Rakim
    Krs-One
    Run-DMC

and then one of the following

Sage Francis/Eminem.
    Then probably Nas, Wu-tang Clan and Biggie, big pun and Jay-z.

Then there would just be personal favorites like canibus, de la, atcq, nwa, demigodz and lupe and lots of others who are amazing but wouldnt be high up on my absolute best of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Lil Wayne
    Drake
    Rick Ross
    B.o.B.
    Young Jeezy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nas, Andre 3000, Common. Not bothered beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I must listen more to andre and common.

Get 'Aquamini', 'ATLiens', 'Resurrection' and 'Like Water For Chocolate' asap.

Orizio wrote: »
    Nas, Andre 3000, Common. Not bothered beyond that.

Prodigy and Redman would be 4 and 5 I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's pretty subjective, I think, but these are the ones I listen to most:

Nas
    Wu-Tang
    Q-Tip
    Andre 3000
    Lauryn Hill

It is very subjective, by its very nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Pac the greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ice Cube
    Nas
    Andre 3000
    Common
    Raekwon

Then some honorable mentions are Biggie, Lauryn Hill, Mos Def, Dmx, Tribe, ODB and it could go on for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

in no order

eminem
    2pac
    Wu tang
    nas
    biggie

LL Cool j deserves a mention he's one of hip hops pioneers been actively making music since the 80's.

jay z, bun b, ice cube, snoop dogg, Big L all deserve a mention too, just missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

My top 5 in no order

Eminem
    Jay-Z
    Kanye
    Biggie
    2pac

Honourable mentions to: Nas, Scarface, Andre 3k, Dr Dre, Lupe, Mos Def

I would like to have Dre in my top 5 just for 2001 alone but i dont think you can be considered the GOAT if you have only ever released 2 albums or maybe im wrong considering Biggie is on the list but obv he only made 2 albums due to his death. i dont know like if the music off them 2 dre albums is unreal should he be considered for best of all time? an important key to having that crown has to be consistency at the top imo. what you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

I really dont get the 2pac love good and all as he was he really shouldnt be at the top of peoples lists. He had some great stuff but also some of the most dreadful songs I've ever heard, too hit and miss.

Andre 3000, Jay-Z, Mos Def, Evidence are up the IMO. Not mad on these 'of all time lists'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Danow247 wrote: »
    My top 5 in no order

Eminem
    Jay-Z
    Kanye
    Biggie
    2pac

Honourable mentions to: Nas, Scarface, Andre 3k, Dr Dre, Lupe, Mos Def

I would like to have Dre in my top 5 just for 2001 alone but i dont think you can be considered the GOAT if you have only ever released 2 albums or maybe im wrong considering Biggie is on the list but obv he only made 2 albums due to his death. i dont know like if the music off them 2 dre albums is unreal should he be considered for best of all time? an important key to having that crown has to be consistency at the top imo. what you guys think?

ye but dre is a producer 1st and foremost, the rapping comes second. imo honestly as much as i admire the man his music, his beats, legacy and who he has introduced, it just wouldn't be right to name him in a g.o.a.t list of the greatest rappers of all time when he doesn't write his own material.

biggie is different he was an actual out and out rapper! who set the world a light for his rapping skills they didnt call him the punch line king for nothing:)

I really dont get the 2pac love good and all as he was he really shouldnt be at the top of peoples lists. He had some great stuff but also some of the most dreadful songs I've ever heard, too hit and miss.

What Tupac songs were dreadful? Dreadful is a song word.

The whole longevity thing is a great point, I dont think a list should consist of people whos careers have been five years but thats just me.

Dres impact is greater than anyone elses, purely by the fact of nwa then death row then aftermath but he belongs on the greatest producers list or along with russel simmons etc rather than a rappers list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Andre 3000, Jay-Z, Mos Def, Evidence are up the IMO. Not mad on these 'of all time lists'
    fair enough if you dont like someone, but how can you say i(for instance) shouldnt put a certain rapper in a top 5 if i think hes deserving of that place.

personally i wouldnt put mos def in a top 5 but i wouldnt say you shouldnt just because i dont think its deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Rakim
    Slick Rick
    Big Daddy Kane
    Nas
    Q Tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Danow247 wrote: »

I couldn't have Dre in a top 5 list, as much as I like him. As was said before, he's a producer first and foremost. I love his beats and everything, but his albums contain a huge amount of guest appearances to bulk out the songs and give them 'star quality'. He basically just gets all his friends, a lot of whom happen to be very good rappers, to write some lyrics that he puts his best beats behind. He doesn't even write his own lyrics - sure, Jay-Z wrote Still D.R.E for him. He makes some great music and really has a great ear for music, I've nothing but respect for the guy, but he's not a rapper in the same way that someone like Nas is (for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Nas
    Public Enemy
    De La Soul
    Notorious B.I.G.
    The Roots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nas
    Jay (Better than biggie ever was and 2pac)
    Ghostface
    Jadakiss
    Kool G Rap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Nas
    Jay (Better than biggie ever was and 2pac)
    Ghostface
    Jadakiss
    Kool G Rap

Jay better than biggie?
    I suppose it's your opinion but i dont agree with it and I'm sure a few of the tupac fans won't agree with you either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement