Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade for video editing and gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

steve_ wrote: »
    Noise isnt a problem once performance isnt compromised

The opposite of me then, I'd happily take a quieter system for a few degrees less cooling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Im applying for the loan now in my job. Think i might of missed this months cut off point so its looking like the end of January by the time ill get the money. I reckon i will resurrect this thread come January and see if you guys can suggest any tweaks to the setup that might be needed. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Im applying for the loan now in my job. Think i might of missed this months cut off point so its looking like the end of January by the time ill get the money. I reckon i will resurrect this thread come January and see if you guys can suggest any tweaks to the setup that might be needed. Cheers

There are rumours that ATI's 7 series cards will be released in January, so you might see some price drops in the 6 series cards by then.

Right so i got approved of a loan from my job. Ill receive the money the end of the month. Is there any good offers around that i should look out for? One final list of suggestions from people would be much appreciated

Finally here!!! received my loan today and have the funds ready to roll. Before i go out and buy do any of you guys know of any bargains or something i should throw my eye to before my purchase? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Finally here!!! received my loan today and have the funds ready to roll. Before i go out and buy do any of you guys know of any bargains or something i should throw my eye to before my purchase? Cheers

The 7970 is out, which is great value for money. Probably would go with something like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,270.85 + €30 shipping
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€121.37
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.53
    XFX BLACK RADEON 7970 1000M 3GB D5 2x mDP HDMI DVI|€494.83
    Crucial M4 Slim 128GB SATA 6GB's 6,4cm (2,5")|€172.70
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.90
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€284.19
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€32.80

would the 7970 be able to run both my monitors? they are both dvi

doh i could just get dvi-hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

deconduo wrote: »
    The 7970 is out, which is great value for money. Probably would go with something like this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,270.85 + €30 shipping
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€121.37
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.53
    XFX BLACK RADEON 7970 1000M 3GB D5 2x mDP HDMI DVI|€494.83
    Crucial M4 Slim 128GB SATA 6GB's 6,4cm (2,5")|€172.70
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.90
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€284.19
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€32.80

Wow, 1200 seems awful cheap for a build with a 7970, 2600k, 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive and 16 GB of RAM.

would the 7970 be able to run both my monitors? they are both dvi

doh i could just get dvi-hdmi

It come with mini-DP -> DVI and HDMI -> DVI adapters so you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I would certainly go 7970 right now. Nvidias new cards should be out the end of next month (mid range) which are touted to be as fast at least as 7970. I'm not suggesting wait, I say go for it, but if at that stage you'd prefer one of those the 7970 will still fetch a good price if you wanted to swap for the NV card.

However, the build listed there is fast enough for just about anything. Will be a quality rig.

• Advertisement

Is the BIOs easy enough to set up? im gonna take a crack at setting this up myself but i dont want to be biting off more then i can chew

Is the BIOs easy enough to set up? im gonna take a crack at setting this up myself but i dont want to be biting off more then i can chew

You don't have to touch it at all if you don't want to!

But in direct answer to your question, yeah it's easy, plus there's tonnes of guides on the net for overclocking that platform.

Just ordered all the parts. It was so simple using the online transfer with my bank. How long should i be waiting roughly for delivery

If you're based in Dublin I'd be happy to help you build it.

Well allow a max of 5 days for the transfer and maybe 5 days for shipping. If it comes sooner great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Peter8

With HWVS, once the transfer has gone through, I would say about 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Just ordered all the parts. It was so simple using the online transfer with my bank. How long should i be waiting roughly for delivery

About a week, give or take a day or two.

received my goods on Monday. Im quite excited to get it built. Im just wondering if my case is still up to scratch for this rig? I dont want things to run too hot or anything due to the case.

This is my current case, its a few years old at this stage
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1277&ID=1405

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, it'll be fine. The 90mm fans would be a bit loud for my tastes, but cooling-wise, you'd be grand.

received my goods on Monday. Im quite excited to get it built. Im just wondering if my case is still up to scratch for this rig? I dont want things to run too hot or anything due to the case.

This is my current case, its a few years old at this stage
    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1277&ID=1405

Cable management might be a bit tricky but it looks like a decent case. You should be fine.

• Advertisement

cable management is a nightmare....nay impossible. Theres no where for the cables to go. Its like an explosion of wires

Is it common for nothing to come with cables? The mobo came with none, neither did the HDD or SSD also where does the SSD sit? Iv seen people with a bay to sit the SSD into but i thought that might come with it

Motherboard should have come with 2-3 SATA cables. Apart from that not really, pretty much everything else should be on the PSU.

I just have my SSD in a normal HDD slot, stuck on with a bit of blutack. They don't have moving parts so it doesn't really matter which way you put them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The motherboard should have come with (virtually) all the cables you need.

It came with exactly zero.....im starting to worry

sorry sorry it came with two sata cables and an audio cable and sli bridge

It came with exactly zero.....im starting to worry
    sorry sorry it came with two sata cables and an audio cable and sli bridge

lol

It helps if you open the box first ;)

Oh shiz......my PSU is only 650watts, is that enough for this rig?

I'm considering buying a new case and modular PSU, any ideas on that? The PSU I currently own is hideous, just wires everywhere. Id be willing to throw another 300 at it to get a decent case and PSU

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If it's a good PSU it'll be fine.

• Advertisement

If it's a good PSU it'll be fine.
    Not sure of the model but its made by thermaltake, again its a cable disaster. Completely kills the look of the rig just seeing cables everywhere

Advertisement