Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade for video editing and gaming

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

steve_ wrote: »
    Not sure of the model but its made by thermaltake, again its a cable disaster. Completely kills the look of the rig just seeing cables everywhere

Cable ties are your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Not sure of the model but its made by thermaltake, again its a cable disaster. Completely kills the look of the rig just seeing cables everywhere

Cable ties are your friend :)
    The case is gutted at the moment and all that's left in it is the PSU, but the amount of cables is crazy. A modular is so tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

The case is gutted at the moment and all that's left in it is the PSU, but the amount of cables is crazy. A modular is so tempting

Hard to beat one of the Corsair AX series if your looking to go modular.

650 watt is out of stock but you could always go for a 750
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38999&agid=1630
    Theres an 850 as well if you want the extra watts for any future upgrades.

Includes a freaking 7 year warranty aswell, so no fear of it going poof!

You should have plenty of space in that case to hide and tie away any stray cables.

Put a bit of time and effort into it and you'll be rewarded. Make a list of the connection you need, and then go through the cables and see what ones will cover your power requirements, and tie the other off behind the drive cage / mobo tray etc etc

You should have plenty of space in that case to hide and tie away any stray cables.

Put a bit of time and effort into it and you'll be rewarded. Make a list of the connection you need, and then go through the cables and see what ones will cover your power requirements, and tie the other off behind the drive cage / mobo tray etc etc
    By making a list do you mean just listing what my parts require? Then hide the excess. And just to be sure is 650watts definitely enough to run this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Most-definitely, yes.

By making a list do you mean just listing what my parts require? Then hide the excess. And just to be sure is 650watts definitely enough to run this?

Yep. You don't need any more connection available than what your parts require.

Ok so i started to put the computer together myself, i think it will be a good learning experience. But iv run into a small problem. The dvd drive in my computer only has a IDE connection and no SATA. My mobo has only sata ports. So its looking like either getting some kind of adaptor or getting a new drive

Might as well get a new drive. They're only about €15, and odds are you won't ever need to replace it after this (unless you want blu-ray or something).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-22x-SATA-DVD-Writer/dp/B004VU7MFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1328787361&sr=1-1

I am very impatient so I just went out and bought one today. Just a standard drive. The build is coming along fine. Just one thing to ask, all the fans on the case have two connectors on them. I'm not sure of the name but they are four pin connectors one is male the other female. Im just wondering if both need to be plugged in or just one?

• Advertisement

NOT both. The bigger ones connect directly to your PSU, and will run the fans at full speed all the time, the smaller ones connect to fan headers on your motherboard, and can be controlled through the BIOS or software, but there isn't very many of them (usually only about five).

Ok well the case has 4 fans in total. But each of them has the same connections. Only the front and rear fan have a cable to connect to the mother board but they still have the four pin connection male and female.

This is the connection thats on each fan. This being the female. But they all also have the male connections too.
    800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Oh that's what you meant. The two connections serve as a pass-through, so you can chain fans together off a single molex connection from your PSU. You could safely chain all of them off the one, if needed.

As before though, if you're using molex, don't connect them to your motherboard as well or it's bye-bye fan.

Ok so my PSU has a string of male molex connectors, so i can just plug the female from each fan into it and we are in business? Like i said only two of the four fans have an extra cable, just a tiny connection which sits into the chassis fan port on the mobo. Should i not plug these in if im using just the molex connections?

It should be something like:

PSU -> Fan A Female -> Fan A Male -> Fan B Female -> Fan B Male -> etc.

This way you're only using a single molex connection (on that string of them) for all of your fans. You can plug them into their own separate one, but it's usually messier in terms of wiring. Whatever works best for you, really.

And yup, if you're using molex, you do not use motherboard headers.

thanks a million for your help. Ill report back when im finished, cheers

Ok the cpu cooler i ordered doesnt fit my case its too big. Whats the returns policy for hardwereversand. Its been installed and everything just when i went to close the case up its too big. And the old cpu cooler from my old computer only fits lga775 sockets. Will the stock cooler be ok to use?

The mobo i have has lga775 sockets on it, can i still use my old cpu cooler then with the i7?

Finally its built, it was very stressful i must say. But i learned alot. Im using the stock cpu fan i might upgrade if needs be. Everything seems fine except my HDD isnt showing up. the SSD is but no HDD. I think i might of installed them both on SATA3 ports, could that be the issue? Also can i install programs to the HDD even though windows wasnt install on that disk?

Edit: i got it working, i just had to enable the HDD. Doh!!

But ov noticed my front audio panel isnt working :(

Double-check you have the header in the right place. It should be in the HD audio slot. Also, check with the manual online as well. With my first build, the manual I got in the box had the USB header and Firewire header mixed up, the online one didn't.

More problems are crawling out of the woodwork. My dvd drive just suddenly disappeared and now i cant open it, and its not showing up at all. Also my card reader wont connect through usb. I keep getting a "device malfunctioned" error.

Edit: Ok well i just installed the dvd drive to a new sata port and it seems ok. But the usb is still acting up. My card reader just malfunctions no matter what port i put it in.

Also the SSD/HDD is cause me headaches. I want the SSD just for the OS and a few slow booting programs but its a pain having to manually change the installation directory to the HDD each time i want to install something. Id rather everything install to the HDD and in the rare case i will manually tell it to install to the SSD instead. But its the complete opposite at the moment :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement