Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

90's Music. Anyone else remember how good some of it was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I always remember the 90s for the emergence of trip hop from the Bristol scene, Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky and leftfield, then other amazing electronic stuff like Aphex Twin, BOC. Sort of progressive rock meets the dance scene, ambient music reinvented, the emergence of jungle, d n b etc.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

gurramok wrote: »
    The birth of Oasis & Blur? :)

Arrrghh.. sorry... But only mentioning this because you said "Birth"

Blur formed in 1986, reformed in '87 and the Blur we know, formed in '89..

That said, Most of the acts mentioned so far, began in the 80's.. But i think the OP's point was, the music that was released/re-released/"large"/popular/unpopular/originated in the 90's

Happy Mondays formed in 1980 :eek:

You'll have to excuse me.. i had a few.

I love the memories the 90's music brings me. Even songs i didn't like when they were released/popular back then, listening to them now, has memories flooding in..
    I HAYTE the fact that it seems less then a couple of years ago to me, but isn't.. :mad::):rolleyes::mad:

Is it possible to go back there? and if so how?

Can i hack/patch my laptop or Desktop, to bring me back? Oh, and have sex loads more times then i did, (i think i was possible for me to have it more back then, but i (in my mind) never fully availed of those opportunities, and some of the songs bitterly remind me of that.. :rolleyes:)

But all in all, a great decade for music, but mostly from 90 - 95 (Not including the S/A/W stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thats very well that they still play but are they any good?!

Ok, what hits did Massive Attack have other than teardops?

I have never liked LeftField, Orbital,underworld, Sneaker Pimps, Air, Fatboy & fun Lovin Crims(apart from one hit wonder) as they all sounded the same from dance\house 90s style.

Yes Pulp were good as well as early Oasis\Blur. You see, we're struggling at what's good with 90's music.

Unfinished Sympathy, Safe From Harm, Protection among others.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Unfinished Sympathy, Safe From Harm, Protection among others.

and many many more

Allyall wrote: »
    Arrrghh.. sorry... But only mentioning this because you said "Birth"

Blur formed in 1986, reformed in '87 and the Blur we know, formed in '89..

That said, Most of the acts mentioned so far, began in the 80's.. But i think the OP's point was, the music that was released/re-released/"large"/popular/unpopular/originated in the 90's

Happy Mondays formed in 1980 :eek:

You'll have to excuse me.. i had a few.

I love the memories the 90's music brings me. Even songs i didn't like when they were released/popular back then, listening to them now, has memories flooding in..
    I HAYTE the fact that it seems less then a couple of years ago to me, but isn't.. :mad::):rolleyes::mad:

Is it possible to go back there? and if so how?

Can i hack/patch my laptop or Desktop, to bring me back? Oh, and have sex loads more times then i did, (i think i was possible for me to have it more back then, but i (in my mind) never fully availed of those opportunities, and some of the songs bitterly remind me of that.. :rolleyes:)

But all in all, a great decade for music, but mostly from 90 - 95 (Not including the S/A/W stuff...

You know what I meant by birth, they became well known in the 90's, not just from the date of when the bands were formed.

Yes, we've all had a few ;) But you say it was a great decade of music, seriously though? Creativity was suppressed back then by the labels hence the trouble we are in today.

So what was memorable then? One hit wonders do not suffice and don't mention relaunched U2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Smashing Pumpkins. A definite 90's band.

Still around today (in name at least) but it's just not the same anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Barenaked ladies, Gordon, pure pop genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It was the decade of the cheesy one-hit wonders, waaaaaayy too many random boybands, the Spice Girls, Blur/Oasis and when 2Pac/Biggie got killed. People are dead right when they point out it's when the tabloids and suits began to take over the music industry. Artists realised that headlines sold records and perhaps worked harder on the former than the latter. But back then, because it was new, it was a novelty.

All of the actual good, credible music that stands up today would override what I'd consider '90s' music...they're just good tracks.

All-in-all, the 90's won't ever be remembered as a great musical decade by anyone who isn't seriously pissed. It was a transitional period: for better or worse depends on your personal taste and won't be properly judged for another 50 years. But man it was fun!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

leggo wrote: »
    ...Biggie got killed.

Not really. I'm in hiding. Elvis lives next door! :D;)
    Now if I can just get him to stop jumping over my broken fence with Shergar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

90s was defo up there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Best song of all time, never mind the 90's.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

mad into the chillis,oasis,faithless,feeder,radiohead,bon jovi, aerosmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Kojak wrote: »
    Best song of all time, never mind the 90's.....

What kinda person likes watching a crazy old man sit in a room with chldren..

What kinda person likes watching a crazy old man sit in a room with chldren..

God watching the Christian Brothers at work? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

The 90's was where I got my musical education so it'll always seem like a good decade for music for me. Pirate radio gave me the "college rock" experience I'd read about (or at least the Irish equivalent) and you won't believe this kids but back then MTV used to actually play music videos. We'd have it on pretty much 24/7 for the more mainstream stuff. The "pop" act were taken far less seriously back they seemed to get far less media attention, you didn't have this suffocating looming x-factor industry to contend with either pushing content into your face everywhere you anyway.

Very different world pre-www. Now there's no particular focal point and everyone's interest have become more divergent and much more specific (not just in music). I don't even know what is popular with the cool kids these days or if music and fandom of particular bands even exists to the same extent anymore. I can't imagine it is as important to people today generally as it was then. Price you pay for living in a world with unlimited access to media I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Some 90's genius that still sounds better than pretty much anything you'd hear today.
    Not that anything great shouldn't; timeless music is timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Biggins wrote: »
    God watching the Christian Brothers at work? :D

You could be a little more pc about some ones bound to get offended :pac::P

Tho we could just take them out and shoot them in front of there families :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well I'm struggling so help me ;)

First that comes to mind is The Killers numerous hits, so help a 30 something bloke here to educate me on what musical talent was there in the 00's?

• Advertisement

1900's ? :D

...Aye yesss... I remember it well! :pac: ;)

On topic: I tend to think of individual songs rather than groups in the later decades.
    Maybe its just me. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

When I think 90s I think Pearl Jam and the 5 unreal albums that they put out over those 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The 80's had Stock, Aitken and Waterman, but it still had some great music.

THe 90's had crap but some gems. Blur, the Charlatan's, Stone Roses etc. Even REM, U2 and deelite had some good tunes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

massive attack you don't call them a one hit wonder there one of the most influatual sounds ever to come out of england...

i would consider that to be stuff like the beatles, stones, zeppelin, sabbath, priest, queen, the whole punk rock movement....but hey thats just me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

these threads are always a cluster fcuk, its not like saying it in a pub with people of like mind YOU@RE BROADCASTING TO THE NATION IN AH and everyones opinion of good music is well.....different

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who's going ride your wild horses, Actung!!!!!!!.....baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Half of them have no musical affection with me. Prodigy had that famous one hit wonder with your man in the tunnel starting fires:D.
    Firestarter, tbh one of their weaker efforts. Most of the better stuff was earlier before they really made it big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Going to OCS in a couple of weeks, so love a bit of 90s tuneage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The 90s were when heavy metal really started to mature and come into its own. I was never a fan of brit pop or grunge, but soundgarden, machine head, the golden age of metallica, there has never been so much awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

80's were better but I suppose the 90's had Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I`m enjoying this thread but shouldn`t it be in the music forum??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

TBH there was good music in the 1990's, of course the Spice Girls were the most heavily promoted. I don't believe the 80's was better, some of the early 80's brit/euro pop was pretty crap TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Skulldigger

90's for me and it's not even close.

Hip hop music really developed in the nineties and most of the classic albums come from that era.

Cheesy hair metal rubbish was replaced with grunge and Brit pop.

Funky rock/hip hop in the likes of the Chillis and RATM were born.

Electronic music came to fruition. Big Beat, Breaks, Jungle, Drum and Bass, Rave, Downtempo, Acid Jazz, Trip Hop etc.

Great artists and bands from previous decades went to shíte in the 80's imo. Jefferson Airplane went from psychedelic visionaries of the 60's to "We Built This City on Rock and Roll". *puke*

It's all a matter of taste, but for me the 80's was the worst decade from 1960-2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Cheesy hair metal rubbish was replaced with grunge and Brit pop with heavier and more awesome metal.
    fyp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Don't forget these boys who are still join strong.. :cool:

Great to see a few mentions for Supergrass, one of the most underrated bands to come out of the 90's.... but I think have split up now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I listened to OK Computer and was exceedingly underwhelmed. I get the impression that it's music for musical elitists who like to scoff at lesser bands and their fans, and act outraged when anyone tells them that their music is a load of bollocks.
    Elitists? Ok Computer is as accessible as they come. It doesn't top hundreds of popularity polls for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not necessarily any of the better songs of the 90's (Maybe the LA's), but definitely a huge reminder of what a large part of the 90's was like (For me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

"There She Goes" by the La's was indeed a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

For me,the 90s had a few great songs,but overall, no particular groups or individuals who set the world on fire.
    Put it like this,I have no plans on changing my username to msthe90s-anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Half of them have no musical affection with me. Prodigy had that famous one hit wonder with your man in the tunnel starting fires:D

Massive attack had that one hit wonder too which was well received, the rest were either Brit pop or were heading towards house\dance music. Well, are they remembered now? Don't think so for the majority listed.

Followed swiftly by another No. 1 about breathing the pressure in a run-down house with cockroaches and alligators :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i would consider that to be stuff like the beatles, stones, zeppelin, sabbath, priest, queen, the whole punk rock movement....but hey thats just me ;)

Definitely just you. The impact that British Electronica bands such as Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Leftfield etc have had on music is massive. I can understand how you wouldn't appreciate it if it is not the kind of music you listen to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement