Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

90's Music. Anyone else remember how good some of it was?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Massive Attack continue to produce spectacular music to this day, even if it's not up to the same standard as Blue Lines/Mezzanine. One hit wonder my arse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sublime are imo the greatest band of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

To be honest there's excellent music in every decade.

You just have to know where to look for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I could sit here all day, all night, and post great songs, great albums, great bands that either started in the 90s or made it to my attention in the 90s and were big at the time. The 90s was a great decade for music. I was mostly into rock (indie, alternative, rock...whatever we were calling it at the time) but there was also amazing dance and quite good pop music. Hip hop was very good at the time. I look around now and I feel like what the **** happened? I just don't know anymore. Maybe I'm getting old but ffs I'm only 27.

90s forever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The 90s were when heavy metal really started to mature and come into its own. I was never a fan of brit pop or grunge, but soundgarden, machine head, the golden age of metallica, there has never been so much awesome.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

gurramok wrote: »
    Half of them have no musical affection with me. Prodigy had that famous one hit wonder with your man in the tunnel starting fires

Massive attack had that one hit wonder too which was well received, the rest were either Brit pop or were heading towards house\dance music. Well, are they remembered now? Don't think so for the majority listed.

Remembered? Leftfield, Massive Attack, Orbital and Underworld have all headlined Electric Picnic over the last 2 years. Actually, over half the acts listed have been high on the billing for loads of top festivals across Europe in the last few years.. Sure, in a lot of cases their more recent output may not be up to the standard of previous works, but a lot of them still definitely have it on stage.

And calling The Prodigy "one-hit wonders?" Come on man, you have to be taking the piss. Just because you're not into them doesn't render them obsolete. There is so much widely-loved music out there that just doesn't do it for me, but I realise that music I like and music that's good and/or influential are not always necessarily the same thing.

EDIT: Just checked there. The Prodigy have had 4 No.1 albums in the UK. Lol.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    i would consider that to be stuff like the beatles, stones, zeppelin, sabbath, priest, queen, the whole punk rock movement....but hey thats just me
    To what extent did Black Sabbath and Judas Priest influence the Hip-Hop and electronica genres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some absolute gems listed here http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/feature/best-singles-of-the-90s/247/page_1

Reading through it and going through this thread dug up some memories,many involving drunken sessions-those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Started off brightly, But faded badly from about 96 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile were both released in the 90s, probably the two best Nine Inch Nails albums.

Have to agree with someone above who said a lot of bands went sh*t in the 80s - Yes and Rush spring to mind for having a particularly cheesy decade back then, but I'm sure there are many more. The bands who came to popularity in the 80s with their single recognisable song, are great to listen to with a few drinks or as a game soundtrack (Vice City - best soundtrack in a game ever IMO), but I certainly wouldn't listen to the discography of the majority of the artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The 90s were when heavy metal really started to mature and come into its own. I was never a fan of brit pop or grunge, but soundgarden, machine head, the golden age of metallica, there has never been so much awesome.

Eeeehhhhh other then Metallica's " Black Album " their best work was produced and released in the 80's.

Granted Metallica's live performances started to improve from '89 onwards but their best work and subsequent golden age was the 80's, just go through their the catalogue from the 80's compared to the 90's.

On topic, 90's was ok, like every decade it had its highlights and some very low points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

gavredking wrote: »
    Eeeehhhhh other then Metallica's " Black Album " their best work was produced and released in the 80's.

Granted Metallica's live performances started to improve from '89 onwards but their best work and subsequent golden age was the 80's, just go through their the catalogue from the 80's compared to the 90's.

On topic, 90's was ok, like every decade it had its highlights and some very low points.

80's:

Kill Em All - Good
    Ride the Lightning - Excellent
    Master of Puppets - Masterpiece
    ...And Justice for All - Excellent

90's and onwards

Black Album - Very Good
    Load - Rubbish bar a few tracks
    Reload - Rubbish bar a few tracks
    St. Anger - Complete and utter crap
    Death Magnetic - Good until a month after you bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 a1dinger

Here is a great one, Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

Senna wrote: »
    You have to go back to the 70's/80's for some decent music. The 90's will probably go down as some of the worse formulated pop music ever.

the nineties was a good decade for music , it was when indie rock went mainstream and dance went mainstream , the noughties was a truly awfull decade for music as it was dominated by manufactured acts who mainly found thier fame on reality tv shows , it was also the decade when hip hop completley sold out and fused with every genre of music , the noughties was the decade of mish mashing everything into one big souless corporate package

at least corporate rock in the eighties was catchy and ironic

the noughties was a truly awfull decade for music as it was dominated by manufactured acts who mainly found thier fame on reality tv shows , it was also the decade when hip hop completley sold out and fused with every genre of music , the noughties was the decade of mish mashing everything into one big souless corporate package

at least corporate rock in the eighties was catchy and ironic

The point has been expressed to the point of exhaustion ITT already, but the nougthies weren't a **** decade for music. Manufactured pap and corporate whoring isn't new, though it definitely has assumed something of a preeminence in the past 10 or 15 years. There's still tons of great music acts out there. You just have to look in places other than the TV and radio to find them. TBH, I think the decade just passed was an even greater decade for music than the 80s and 90s. With Spotify, Last FM and music blogs, finding great music has never been so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Cruising in the civic blaring this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They 90's were ****ing awesome for music. Like any decade it's about what you can find and enjoy for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

Mindkiller wrote: »
    The point has been expressed to the point of exhaustion ITT already, but the nougthies weren't a **** decade for music. Manufactured pap and corporate whoring isn't new, though it definitely has assumed something of a preeminence in the past 10 or 15 years. There's still tons of great music acts out there. You just have to look in places other than the TV and radio to find them. TBH, I think the decade just passed was an even greater decade for music than the 80s and 90s. With Spotify, Last FM and music blogs, finding great music has never been so easy.

i cant think of one classic band which came to the fore in the noughties , i cant think of a single song from the noughties which would make it on to an all time list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

i cant think of one classic band which came to the fore in the noughties , i cant think of a single song from the noughties which would make it on to an all time list

You need to update your definition of a "classic band".
    I'll presume what you mean is a massively popular band that doesn't get savaged by the critics?
    Music is so fragmented these days due to the internet, these are gonna happen less and less, but that doesn't make great bands/artists and albums less classic.
    The Arcade Fire are pretty fuucking big though.
    The 00's brought us Joanna Newsom, the Mars Volta, LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead's zenith, Animal Collective had finally grown into their own music, Daft Punk inadvertently made dance music heavy but still pop, Hercules & Love Affair updated disco, The Knife and Fever Ray, Burial, Battles, the White Stripes, Sigur Rós, the Avalanches... Etc etc, and that's just scraping the surface.

All released classic songs and albums last decade - if you don't know that you've either got your head in the sand or up your arse.

Why does it have to be about 'classic' bands and individual songs? In any event I can think of loads of fantastic albums produced in the 00s. The likes of Arcade Fire, Radiohead and Flaming Lips have been releasing tons of great music that has enjoyed plenty of chart success, as have other traditionally niche post-rock bands like Sigur Ros. I reckon all of those bands will achieve 'classic' status in later decades. Here in Ireland we've had bands like Adibisi Shank and GIAA pushing the boundaries of experimental rock (I hate that term but it'll have to do. Don't know how to classify AS). Shoegazey/Dreampop type stuff like M83 and Deerhunter has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity as well, and it's all really great. Tom Waits is still around and I'd include both Alice and Bad as Me in my top 100.

By far my favourite albums of the 00s would be Illinoise and Soft Bulletin. Love Justice's Cross as well

Saying all that I've been out of the music loop for over a year at this point. I've really only skimmed the surface of 00 music. There's so much more stuff out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Loved this tune as a kid, was released in the late 90's cheesy as it may be! Came out right at the start of summer I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The 90s were great compared to the 80s. Yes there were some good bands in the 80s but generally I prefer the 90s. In the 80s it was corporate rock, glam "metal" and middle of nowhere synth pop. In the 90s you had a resurgence in alternative rock, grunge and metal, although you could say metal was more popular during the 80s. Also the 90s were a homage to the 60s/70s so the quality of those two decades rubbed off on it. The 80s were more like the 50s again which is another reason I didn't like it, too conservative. The 90s were also fun, people wore ridiculous primary colour clothes, wore their hats back to front, there was a sense of being carefree, also the rap sound up until the mid 90s was quite nice in sampling classic records from the 60s/70s. Then the 00s came around, the hipster more ironic than thou mentality became dominant and we were bombared with knowing, arch hipster indie rock bands who aped the 80s, wrote boring angular riffs, sung in mock cockney accents and couldn't enjoy themselves if they tried. So we need to look back to what made the 90s/60s/70s such culturally rich decades in order to replicate that in our own time.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Ace of Base had some great tunes, not just the famous ones. Quintessential 90s group.

The 90s were great compared to the 80s. Yes there were some good bands in the 80s but generally I prefer the 90s. In the 80s it was corporate rock, glam "metal" and middle of nowhere synth pop. In the 90s you had a resurgence in alternative rock, grunge and metal, although you could say metal was more popular during the 80s. Also the 90s were a homage to the 60s/70s so the quality of those two decades rubbed off on it. The 80s were more like the 50s again which is another reason I didn't like it, too conservative. The 90s were also fun, people wore ridiculous primary colour clothes, wore their hats back to front, there was a sense of being carefree, also the rap sound up until the mid 90s was quite nice in sampling classic records from the 60s/70s. Then the 00s came around, the hipster more ironic than thou mentality became dominant and we were bombared with knowing, arch hipster indie rock bands who aped the 80s, wrote boring angular riffs, sung in mock cockney accents and couldn't enjoy themselves if they tried. So we need to look back to what made the 90s/60s/70s such culturally rich decades in order to replicate that in our own time.

The hipster mentality surged in every decade. There was always a strong hipster presence in pretty much every scene. From the old bebop days when hipster literally opted to completely immerse themselves in their favourite artists culture and style and largely birthed the concept to now, they have always been there. It's just more of a put down now to call someone a hipster because the actual meaning of the term has been co-opted as an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IMO:

Bar 1990/91, atrocious for chart/pop music, but great for "alt" or whatever.
    The '80s was great for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The hipster mentality surged in every decade. There was always a strong hipster presence in pretty much every scene. From the old bebop days when hipster literally opted to completely immerse themselves in their favourite artists culture and style and largely birthed the concept to now, they have always been there. It's just more of a put down now to call someone a hipster because the actual meaning of the term has been co-opted as an insult.

Oh of course, there have always been hipsters. Metal hipsters are among the worst, especially with the lack of basic courtesy and ultra snobbery. But the 00s dubious claim to fame would be the crystallisation of all those elements into one horrible aesthetic form, the hipster look and their stupid music. Morrissey was a proto hiptser but now we have a whole movement of people who look annoying with the skinny jeans, flock of seagulls hair and shirts. Its just a rubbish look. At least metal, goth, grunge, punk etc had something going for them. All the attitude that goes along with it can be named now, its an identifiable part of the whole package and one that's celebrated among them. Hipsters and the 80s, particularly 80s British music like Dexy's Midnight Runners have a lot to answer for. I hate that opening shouty vocal part for Come on Eileen, it reminds me of them (the hipsters).

Dudess wrote: »
    IMO:

Bar 1990/91, atrocious for chart/pop music, but great for "alt" or whatever.
    The '80s was great for both.

Indeed, the alt scene in the 90's was incredible, be it the guitar end or the electronic end it doesn't really matter. Entire genres and movements rose out of pretty much nothing, many of the artists achieving enormous mainstream success.

An incredible time for music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

It's nuts when there was a time (20 years ago) when a lot of mainstream music was actually listenable...even good! The 90's was really that last breath before some would say the integrity of modern music died.

In the mid 90's there was a transition of power which heavily effected the outcome of today in which the big dog record companies chewed out the small labels such as Geffen and bought them out,giving them more influence over which artists they wanted promoted and heard.Around this time,boyband and their many clones became the norm and the rapid growth of commercial and radio friendly garbage continued to proliferate until they could squeeze every drop from the well.

At least we'll have the good tunes dudes.:cool: I can only imagine what they'll think of us with whatever version they'll read about in a textbook...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Why are so many obsessed with good music being mainstream? There's more good music out there than there ever has been, what the fuuck has making the top 20 got to do with anything?
    Good music doesn't make the mainstream anymore because most of us steal music...
    Then we pop on boards bemoaning the lack of alt acts in the charts.
    Read what you write while you type. Stop listening to the radio. Turn off those shiitty satellite music channels. Search the Internet. Discover amazing music from all eras.
    Honestly, unbelievably blinkered, pathetic attitudes towards music on show here, that don't seem to realise the attitude is your "prison".

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

dont remember any of it been good.

Advertisement