Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My computer shuts off randomly?

• 04-12-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

i have a problem and its really irritating. about a week ago my pc started shutting down randomly when browzing the web etc :confused:
    It only happens the odd time but more so when im running alot of programs and internet tabs :rolleyes:

dont know much about pc's but any help greatly appreciated :D

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi Dave,

sorting out issues with PCs is all about looking for patterns and consistent behaviour..

- when you say it shuts down, does it do a controlled shutdown (i.e. tells you the PC is shutting down before closing down open applications and closing) .. or does it just go off as if you have pulled the plug.
    - Are you running any Anti Virus software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi Dave,

sorting out issues with PCs is all about looking for patterns and consistent behaviour..

- when you say it shuts down, does it do a controlled shutdown (i.e. tells you the PC is shutting down before closing down open applications and closing) .. or does it just go off as if you have pulled the plug.
    - Are you running any Anti Virus software

Hi mate :D thanks for quick reply :) it just goes off as youve pulled the plug :confused:
    i have AVG, AD-AWARE, and microsoft security essentials :) did scans and nothing picked up.

must be a heat issue im thinking :)

pudzey101 wrote: »
    must be a heat issue im thinking :)

yeah a lot of the time it can be to do with the fans not working. whether power fans, processor fans, or GPU fans... have you opened up the box and had a look to see if all "required ventilation and cooling" is functional? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

yeah a lot of the time it can be to do with the fans not working. whether power fans, processor fans, or GPU fans... have you opened up the box and had a look to see if all "required ventilation and cooling" is functional? :D

i have,but only cleaned fans + vents for dust :) i dont no much about the inside of a pc :( but if it keeps up il be sure to bring it to a person who does :)
    Its more of a gaming PC and shoudnt be doing it :confused:

okay.. but two questions..

a) Are all the fans actually running when you power on the PC? Particularly the processor fan.

b) If you dont go on the net, are there any issues? Could it be an issues with one particular application causing a serious crash and reboot?

Like I said before it's a process of elimination..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You have 2 anti virus programs installed..remove one of them for a start..then well look.at the.shutting.down thing.

Yeah, I didnt spot that.. remove AVG, and reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 myrscossie

sounds to me like the processor heatsink is loose or the power supply is starting to fail.

If its you power supply failing you need to back up you hard drive as it could damage it or any other part in your pc for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 westcoast1

Applying a new layer of thermal grease on the processor may help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

I had just the same problem recently. Check to make sure that the processor fan is running and the power supply fan. In my case the fan in the power supply was not working and it was overheating, causing the computer to shut down randomly. Your power supply might also be giving up. Here's an article about power supply failure

• Advertisement
Advertisement