Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Heres what I did wrong thread"

Options
  • 04-12-2011 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

The rules are
    1) A recipe you normally make well but went wrong
    2) Pinpoint what you think was wrong
    3) Don't post a full recipe just the basics

I'll start.

I did a thai style red chicken curry tonight. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great.
    There is no one definitive curry recipe (that's why they're a joy)

I used chicken, spices, coconut milk and zest & juice of a lime.

In any recipe it specifies the quantity of zest and juice of a lemon, lime or orange but it's human nature to just grate all the skin of the citrus and then squeeze the bejaysis out of it to get as much juice as possible.

Tonight I realised there is such a thing as too much lime juice as that's all we could taste.

Any similar stories of when you added just a bit too much of the wrong thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Big tray of AMAZING brownies made just out of the oven and looking great. I decided that some icing sugar on the top would be a nice touch. So I went into the cupboard, took out a little plastic bag of "icing sugar".

Have a guess what was wrong..

Into the sieve the "icing sugar" went and all over the top of the amazing brownies. Completely covered I decided to finally try the brownies..

The dominant taste was the extremely bad one of BAKING POWDER.

Cue anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Making a case for quiche I accidentally used self raising flour. It did not turn out well.

My ex once didn't notice that a recipe was in farenheit, so since the oven didn't go up to 300 degrees he put the chicken balls in at 250C for about an hour. Needless to say they were charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Too much chilli powder in several things. I had a big bag of extra hot and would try gently tapping it and big clumps would come out. I had to dilute the overspiced pot with tomato sauce.

Now I tap the chilli out onto a saucer, then get a knife tip and sprinkle it over pot, so if any clumps come out at the start they are on the saucer and easily dealt with.

I do this 2 stage pour with other things, like I have a big soy sauce bottle so pour it into a shot glass first, makes it easier to drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One time my brother-in-law was at me to make them some mushroom soup. I told him I'd show him how to make it himself. All was going fine till he decided it was too thin. I told him he could thicken it easily with corn flour and told him to mix a few teaspoons of corn flour in a cup with a little water. However, when he poured the 'cornflour' into the pot, the soup fizzed and surged upwards like a volcano - luckily the pot was big so very little overflowed.
    This is what happens when you put bread soda in mushroom soup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The first time I made a thai curry was in Germany many years ago. Mein deutsch war nicht zu gut back then. I fecked in an entire jar of paste with the meat & veg as opposed to the recommended 2 dessert spoons.

I enjoyed it, but it near killed my guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I tend to over-chilli things for people not as chilli-mad as me. Nearly poisoned the husband last night, but not sure how. Simple dinner - chicken breasts cut into goujon type shapes, pan fried with a jar of Nandos peri peri hot sauce. Served over a mixed salad - shredded cos, rocket, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, yellow pepper, radish and a drained can of chick peas. Dressing had a half a chopped chili in it - unless he got a particularly hot piece of chopped chilli from the dressing, I know I've served him spicier food in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The first time I made a thai curry was in Germany many years ago. Mein deutsch war nicht zu gut back then. I fecked in an entire jar of paste with the meat & veg as opposed to the recommended 2 dessert spoons.

I enjoyed it, but it near killed my guests.

Ha, did the same thing a few years back, except my jar was in English, I just didn't follow the instructions. Curry nearly blew the head off and I had the aftertaste of it with me for days. In fact, I just have to think about it to taste it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I was making a Chicken and sweetcorn soup. All was going fine until i went to add the stock, i had bought Tesco own brand stock to see what it was like.
    It tasted like the cheap cuppa soup you can buy, completely ruined a batch of soup. Never will i cut that corner again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I've forgotten to add sugar to certain recipies repeatedly, creating some severe bun-tastropies along the way.:o

Now I review all ingredients before the oven and say "check" to ensure no ommisions from my featherhead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I was making Sheperds Pie for 5 of us and wanted to make a nice buttery mash. Bet was too much butters in and ended up with a sploddery mess.

Was delicious all the same. But more a Sheperds Soup.

I'm loving this thread now, We all realise the point is not to say "Y'Eejit" but to say "I did that too" and also lessons learnt "I won't do that (... ehm ...oops) again"

So far none of us has committed a cardianal sin. Too much chilli? well who says it's too much? .... oh yeah ... the people eating our dinners.

That's how we get good recipes. All I can say is again is I'm loving these suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I was making Sheperds Pie for 5 of us and wanted to make a nice buttery mash. Bet was too much butters in and ended up with a sploddery mess.

Was delicious all the same. But more a Sheperds Soup.

Hope the lentils still tasted ok ;)

I recently messed up a recipe from the cooking club. I used 300g of butter instead of 30g.
    Ugh...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The first time I attempted spaghetti carbonara, I served my boyfriend spaghetti with lightly scrambled eggs :o.

The first time I made chocolate fondants, I was so obsessed with not overcooking them that I never realised that I didn't put any sugar in them. It took me a day or two to even realise. I just thought I'd used particularly dark chocolate or something.

I have never once done rice properly..ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Was very young - at my then boyfriends house and was making cake for his birthday. Wanted things to go so well. :o Over beat the cake batter to the point of it literally falling to bits. Then broke his Mama's mixing bowl.:eek: It was a disaster. :(Scraped the cake together in a sort of hill and drizzled colored icing down it in reds and browns. Told him it was a volcano, cause he was so hot.:o
    Replaced his Mama's bowl with one from mine. Altho he ate that mess I haven't tried that again.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Deki wrote: »
    Told him it was a volcano, cause he was so hot.:o

PMSL!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

I made a batch of lemon bars recently, from a recipe I frequently use. However on this occasion I forgot tho add the eggs :o It turned into this strange lemon toffee as it was basically just lemon juice and sugar, had to scrape the whole lot in the bin :mad: oops :o

Advertisement