Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyeing hair.

• 04-12-2011 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Just need a little bit of help and advice.

I'm naturally brown but I'm currently blonde highlights and lo-lights. I'm in the mood for a change and fancy going to Auburn type colour.

Am I able to buy a box dye and just pop it on or do I need to get something done to remove the blonde or whatever, so the auburn doesn't turn out bright orange or not auburn :p

Not in the mood for another crisis to do with my hair :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Hiya,

It all depends really on how much blonde you have in your hair, and how deep auburn you are going. I had blonde highlights throughout my mousey brown hair, and I dyed it red, all that happened was the parts where the blonde was came out a much deeper red, and the rest was a more browney red! Ive been dyeing it red for over a year now and Ive still got two tone red through it, it looks cool when the light hits it!

I would recommend for your first time going to a salon to get it done, I think they put a toner in mine or something, however after my first time I dye it myself using Schwarzkopf Live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

There's nothing wrong with just throwing a box colour on over, just be aware that the highlighted hair will be a brighter colour than the rest. I'd say that would look lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 citytreats

You can get conditioner from dungeons, but I'm guessing they are extremely rare, since I've only gotten 1 and I've been farming quite a long time since lvl25. As for hair cream, It's probably the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

coco_lola wrote: »
    Hiya,

It all depends really on how much blonde you have in your hair, and how deep auburn you are going. I had blonde highlights throughout my mousey brown hair, and I dyed it red, all that happened was the parts where the blonde was came out a much deeper red, and the rest was a more browney red! Ive been dyeing it red for over a year now and Ive still got two tone red through it, it looks cool when the light hits it!

I would recommend for your first time going to a salon to get it done, I think they put a toner in mine or something, however after my first time I dye it myself using Schwarzkopf Live!

How long does the Schwarzkopf live last for you? I used the new Herbal Essences red colour the last time (after swearing I'd never go permanent again!) and it faded so so so quickly! :( I'd love something that would last... I know I'm asking a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

hey! Long term dye-er here! I Would definitely recommend leaving your hair as is to dye. The red will look gorgeous with your highlights!

I have maily dyed my hair red and purple, and have stuck to a chestnut/auburn for the last number of years.

I used to use the Schwarzkopf, and the colour is great, but it washes out very quickly and you have to re-dye. As reds are usually quite a high maintenance colour, I'd go with something a little better quality if you want it to last that little bit longer.

Personally, I have found that the Garnier Nutrisse dyes have been by far the best. The colours turn out great and it does exactly what it says on the tin....my hair does actually feel quite nourished and stay in great condition!

AT ALL COSTS avoid the nice n' easy range! I used one of their dyes a year or two ago. Although the colour was fab, my hair was like straw afterwards and it took me months to get it back to decent condition.

Hope some of this helps!

• Advertisement

How long does the Schwarzkopf live last for you? I used the new Herbal Essences red colour the last time (after swearing I'd never go permanent again!) and it faded so so so quickly! :( I'd love something that would last... I know I'm asking a lot!

Unfortunately no matter what dye you use, the reds will fade very quickly. Vibrant colours always do! Like I said to the OP try the Garnier nutrisse range...its lasted in my hair pretty well, and even though it fades faster than darker colours, the nutrisse range is very decently priced, so even if you have to dye more regularaly it wont damage your hair as much as some of the other DIY brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

It is the Nutrisse red I used the last time, and it lasted about 2 weeks..... my hair takes to colour very well usually, so I was quite disappointed with it!
    I'll just have to do it more often, I suppose :(

Ah, thats unfortunate! It's all red dyes though....thats why I stopped going red and switched to chestnut; I just couldn't keep up with the frequent dyeing!

I don't know if they have it here in this country, but when I lived in America they used to have special shampoos that dyed your hair? Like a slow build up of colour every time you washed with it. Its how I first tinted my hair when i was 11/12. Using something like that might help keep it bright a little longer?

Advertisement