Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeycomb sought. Why so expensive in Ireland ?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-D9125F75-769C567A/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4179_15548.htm

I can get it in Eastern Europe for half the €14.68 per kg price stated on the Lidl website and I'm talking about honeycomb and mostly honeycomb. Here it's twice the cheapest price I found abroad plus the jar has more honey than honeycomb.

Does anyone know where to get the cheapest honeycomb near Dublin or at a price which would justify my traveling/mail ordering from Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭brian_t

Have you tried any of the farmers markets ?

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/Pages/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

brian_t wrote: »

Thanks . I will have a look down the list. I see at least one that's near me.
    The problem I have found with food markets in the past is that they usually seem to be pitching themselves as ''trendy'' ''organic'' etc so everything there has a premium price attached. In some of the markets I've been to I wouldn't be shopping there regularly even if I won the lotto as some of the prices seem insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Yeah too right. In other countries farmers' markets are normally a way to cut out the middle man with the result that buyer and seller both get a good deal.

In Ireland the prices in 'farmers' markets' that I've been to are a multiple of supermarket prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

groom wrote: »
    Yeah too right. In other countries farmers' markets are normally a way to cut out the middle man with the result that buyer and seller both get a good deal.

In Ireland the prices in 'farmers' markets' that I've been to are a multiple of supermarket prices

Apparently farmers get a very small cut from supermarkets from sales of their produce and I would absolutely love to cut the likes of Tesco etc out of the loop and support local and Irish pockets directly. I would go out of my way to support farmers if they weren't charging more than the supermarkets.
    So it's like they are refusing money and I don't really understand that. Apparently a chicken costs not much more than a Euro to a farmer yet sells for 4 to 5 euro in Tesco. With numbers like that in mind, I'd pick up 20 chickens from a farmer at 2 Euro each and both of us would have saved money. Only Tesco shareholders would have lost out but there seems no mechanism to shop this way. So it seems like the system or the lack of a better value alternative that's not selling to ''trendy organic yuppies'' is crazy.

Advertisement