Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toners Pub

Options
  • 04-12-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of a Pub called Toners in the Kevin Street area , Dublin 8 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There was the Tenters in Blackpitts? But it's closed now AFAIK. Presume it's not Toner's on Baggot Street you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There was the Tenters in Blackpitts? But it's closed now AFAIK. Presume it's not Toner's on Baggot Street you're referring to?

Thanks Heidi, I know the Tenters ...its tefinitely Toners Kevin street.my Mother lived above it..just trying to get a little info bout it.

Thanks again . MJ

There's a fella I work with who's a veritable walking encyclopaedia of that area - I'll ask him and get back to you if he has any info.

There's a fella I work with who's a veritable walking encyclopaedia of that area - I'll ask him and get back to you if he has any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

There's very little left of Kevin Street since they widened the road and built the flats, so if it was there, it's long gone I'm afraid

• Advertisement

A Disgrace wrote: »
    There's very little left of Kevin Street since they widened the road and built the flats, so if it was there, it's long gone I'm afraid

Thanks, I know its long gone...I,m just looking for any info. on it or even an online picture.

Thanks again MJ

It's been suggested to me that there may have been a pub - not actually called Toners, but maybe known as that? - somewhere on Cork Street, possibly at the junction of Donore Avenue or Ormond Street - somewhere on the left as you travel out of town anyhow. This would've been before the street was widened - all those junctions are apartment blocks now.

I'll keep asking!

It's been suggested to me that there may have been a pub - not actually called Toners, but maybe known as that? - somewhere on Cork Street, possibly at the junction of Donore Avenue or Ormond Street - somewhere on the left as you travel out of town anyhow. This would've been before the street was widened - all those junctions are apartment blocks now.

I'll keep asking!

Thanks again Heidi...
    would you believe I actually work in Cork st, I know both those junctions very well.Its definitely Kevin St. she was born in.She can remember the Toner brothers I,m just after more info. or even a pic. Are you from the area ?

Thanks MJ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

From memory of about 20 years ago there were four pubs on each corner of the junction of patrick street, new street, dean street and kevin street. someone once told me they were called the four corners of hell. nashes is the only one left now, and this one was completely rebuilt a few years back.

bluefinger wrote: »
    From memory of about 20 years ago there were four pubs on each corner of the junction of patrick street, new street, dean street and kevin street. someone once told me they were called the four corners of hell. nashes is the only one left now, and this one was completely rebuilt a few years back.

thanks Bluefinger , thats the area.

MJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The one on New Street was the New Inn I think.

The guys over on the Dublin.ie forums probably have a photo of this crossroads somewhere, I tired searching but it's down at the moment... Let us know if you come across it!

Thanks for all the replies ...The Four Corners of Hell..... Impressive place to say your from..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

As you came down Patrick street towards Kevin street the small one on the Junction on the left was either TJs or JTs, Toners?

No1J wrote: »
    As you came down Patrick street towards Kevin street the small one on the Junction on the left was either TJs or JTs, Toners?

Is/was that one not Nash's?

Agree that the New Inn was across the way, but don't remember the other two.....I'll have to consult my sources again!

Is/was that one not Nash's?

Agree that the New Inn was across the way, but don't remember the other two.....I'll have to consult my sources again!

Just looked at Google maps, yes it is Nash's but about 15 years before, it was what I had said, I think.

Just looked at Google maps, yes it is Nash's but about 15 years before, it was what I had said, I think.

So, before Nash's , Toners was in that position ?

mattjack wrote: »
    So, before Nash's , Toners was in that position ?

Like I said not sure whether it was TJs or JTs, always remember the auld lads would sit on stools outside in the summer watching the traffic.
    It was about the same size as the confession box on Marlbrough st.

Like I said not sure whether it was TJs or JTs, always remember the auld lads would sit on stools outside in the summer watching the traffic.

Thanks ...my mother was born and lived above Toners....

mattjack wrote: »
    Thanks ...my mother was born and lived above Toners....

Calling Gavin "Shels", the man knows the area, if he dosen't come back soon PM him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Nashes used to be called TJ Nashes. I think, Quinns was also on one of the corners, with the New Inn on the other side, i think that Toners could have been were chartbusters was/is now?

Latest report from my source says that there was no Toner's pub in that area. There was a family of Toners, who had a big haulage firm (behind Guinness's somewhere) and one of those may possibly have had an interest in The Brewery Bar on Newport Street. Not saying the other posters are wrong, but these guys are around the area for a long, long time!

Latest report from my source says that there was no Toner's pub in that area. There was a family of Toners, who had a big haulage firm (behind Guinness's somewhere) and one of those may possibly have had an interest in The Brewery Bar on Newport Street. Not saying the other posters are wrong, but these guys are around the area for a long, long time!

There's a mention of it here, and some other posts in some of the photo threads on Dublin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zaharof

Another (fun) way to the info would be to find a crusty looking pub around the liberties with auld lads in it on a Saturday afternoon, nearly guarantee by the time you downed your first delicious pint you will have found out what Mr. Tonner had for breakfast in March 1950 :)

A Disgrace wrote: »
    There's a mention of it here, and some other posts in some of the photo threads on Dublin.ie

Oops, looks like I'm going to have to find me some new sources....

Couldn't find the "arts and culture" thread on that site that has the pictures - anyone able to provide a link?

THANKS for the persistence folks :)

Oops, looks like I'm going to have to find me some new sources....

Couldn't find the "arts and culture" thread on that site that has the pictures - anyone able to provide a link?

Try here and ask around, somebody there will have all the info you need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm pretty certain that at least by 1986, that was TP's rather than TJ's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Not too sure of what Baggot Street it's on but it's on one
    of them. I think it's Lwr! Had a few pints in there before
    a game in the Aviva & a fine pint it was too.

They shot a scene from 'A Fist Full Of Dynamite'
    in there & it still looks the very same!

Toners.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement

Asked about the 4 corners on Dublin.ie and a couple of replies have come back.
    One was that the Wife's of the men drinking there called it that the men couldn't go past it or the wif's couldn't get the men out of the pubs.
    Another was that at closing time the lads from one pub would bump into ones from one of the others and all hell would break out.

As for the name Toners, nothing concrete yet.

Advertisement