Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toners Pub

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

No1J wrote: »
    Asked about the 4 corners on Dublin.ie and a couple of replies have come back.
    One was that the Wife's of the men drinking there called it that the men couldn't go past it or the wif's couldn't get the men out of the pubs.
    Another was that at closing time the lads from one pub would bump into ones from one of the others and all hell would break out.

As for the name Toners, nothing concrete yet.

My mother says she was born and lived above Toners..:) maybe she's losing it a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

mattjack wrote: »
    My mother says she was born and lived above Toners..:) maybe she's losing it a bit

I lived in Toners myself back in the early 80s from 5pm-11pm but that was Baggot st.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I lived in Toners myself back in the early 80s from 5pm-11pm but that was Baggot st.

I think there's probably quite a few of us could claim that.... happy days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think there's probably quite a few of us could claim that.... happy days:D

Yeah, great pub back in the day, wouldn't think there are too many on here that would have pulled up a stool in 1980 (in school uniform for a pint and a sandwitch) at lunch time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There was the Tenters in Blackpitts? But it's closed now AFAIK. Presume it's not Toner's on Baggot Street you're referring to?

The Tenters is closed a good while now, plans for it to be demolished along with the rest of that part (which is gone) and apartments there but that's down the drain.
    bluefinger wrote: »
    From memory of about 20 years ago there were four pubs on each corner of the junction of patrick street, new street, dean street and kevin street. someone once told me they were called the four corners of hell. nashes is the only one left now, and this one was completely rebuilt a few years back.

Lowes, Nashs, D O'Beirne were 3 of the 4 pubs on the Four Corners Of Hell, then you had Captains Bar (Fallons) on the junction with New Row South. Toners wasn't one of those Four Corners of Hell pubs unless it was pre the others.
    Calling Gavin "Shels", the man knows the area, if he dosen't come back soon PM him.

:cool:
    mattjack wrote: »

Only seen your reply to me on AH there, should have PM"ed" me. I asked my mother (who's lived in The Tenters all 50 years of her life) and she doesn't recall a Toners, I'll try get some info for you though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement