Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional construction projects

Options
  • 04-12-2011 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all, have read recently about the Gorgon Project and just wanted to see if anyone had any information. Myself and my boyfriend currently working in Sydney, and would love to take advantage of the booming economy here. Hoping to head into the wilderness for up to 3-4 months, work really hard and earn some money for a nest egg. Gorgon website has jobs advertised from as basic as admin, traffic control, catering and cleaning, to very high end jobs such as engineers etc. Would love to hear from anybody who knows anything about it, or any other projects elsewhere that we could go to earn some serious money. Before any silly remarks come in, we're willing to work hard, and just haven't come across the opportunity in Sydney to earn a lot of money. Have been here 3 months and had a good time, and as a result, all the back up money is gone! Also, would somewhere like the Gorgon Project count towards a second year visa? (I know that working in admin etc wouldn't apply, which is why I mentioned traffic control above.) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What is the Gorgon project?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Zambia wrote: »

The Gorgon project is one of the biggest projects in the world at the minute. It is on Barrow Island off the coast of WA.
    www.gorgongasproject.com

It would count towards a second year visa but your chances of getting a job there on a whv are fairly slim. There is alot of opposition from the unions towards companies taking on whv holders on this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

Zambia wrote: »

Google is your friend Zambia! :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon_gas_project - http://www.gorgonjobs.kjv.com.au/

Information like that aido79 is actually invaluable because you won't find it anywhere else. Anything else you can tell me about it? I don't see what difference the visa makes, as from what I've read, there's a high staff turnover anyway; there's bound to be in such a remote place.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Next to impossible to get a job here with a WHV. I've been on gorgon for over a year, and I've heard so many rumours about recruitment. To get a job hear quickly you really need a contact with some leverage. I've been trying to get partner a job here for months with no luck and we have a 457 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its been said on here before from people in the know. For such projects you need medicals, training & inductions in everything from 4 wheel driving to safely taking a P!ss.

To most employers your average clown with a WHV is not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »

sad-clown.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

Hardly an ethical statement but thanks for the information! And the rest of you as well, at least I know now - don't bother! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

joaneire wrote: »
    Hardly an ethical statement but thanks for the information! And the rest of you as well, at least I know now - don't bother! :)

Dont give up based on the above. They need thousands of people for that project. Do some research on traffic control companies based up there and start calling around.
    You may need a bag of training, which will be an excuse for companies to pay less, but theres nothing stopping you changing companies once you have a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

For such projects you need medicals, training & inductions in everything from 4 wheel driving to safely taking a P!ss.

He is not joking. To mobilise someone to one of these FIFO sites cost an absolute fortune in training. I do know of people that have got FIFO work on WHV's but connections definitely help.

Advertisement