Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones rip off

Options
  • 04-12-2011 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Was in Currys Blanchardstown yesterday and saw this pair of headphones (Philips SHC2000) for €84!

Went online to Pixmania...the same pair for €29 (+€8.99 delivery)

Funnily enough on the Currys UK website the price is €53

l_00778033.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Currys are a rip-off, thats fairly well established at this stage. I'd only buy from them on the rare occasion they have a good deal on or if I'm very stuck for something and can't wait the few days to get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was looking to get a pair of Bose in-ears that were €129 online and in Compu B in Grafton Street. I know it's only a tenner but they were €139 in Currys in Blanch. I've stayed clear ever since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

chewed wrote: »
    Was in Currys Blanchardstown yesterday and saw this pair of headphones (Philips SHC2000) for €84!

Went online to Pixmania...the same pair for €29 (+€8.99 delivery)

Funnily enough on the Currys UK website the price is €53

but with Pixmania they'll probably never arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

but with Pixmania they'll probably never arrive

Not sure what you mean here! I've often bought from Pixmania without any problems. Have you had problems with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Currys are a rip-off, thats fairly well established at this stage. I'd only buy from them on the rare occasion they have a good deal on or if I'm very stuck for something and can't wait the few days to get it online.

I agree with you totally. Whenever I'm buying a gadget I normally go to Currys so they can show me it in the shop. I thank them and leave and then go straight online to buy the product for far cheaper.

A few years ago I was with my cousin who wanted to buy a lap top for around €600. I asked the guy would he throw in a lap top bag or similar. He refused flat out to give anything else free. We then left and I got a much better deal online for her. I assume these guys are on pure commission, therefore giving anything away with the product will mean less commission for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

chewed wrote: »
    I assume these guys are on pure commission, therefore giving anything away with the product will mean less commission for them!

No, the bigger the organisation, the less delegation (for price negotiation) to the foot soldiers. Floor staff in PC World and Currys (which are both part of DSG International) have no leeway on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bounce1993

Bought a laptop in currys in blanch, exact same model in Compu-b on grafton street 50 euro cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

anyone buying Bose or Philips headphones nearly deserve to be over-charged;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

DSG own Pixmania too! So you are still buying off the same crowd!!

Advertisement