Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor for hinged mechanism.

Options
  • 04-12-2011 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hiya,

Somebodyy here might be able to help me on this. I am a student and am building a prototype of a light that has an adjustable head to give a spread out, or more concentrated light throw depending on the users need.

The head of the lamp look somewhat like a flower, and there are LED's spaced throughout on the inside. I have reflective material on the inside of the light so when it is more closed, the light becomes more concentrated, and when the 'petals' are opened out the light is more dispersed.

What I need to figure out is the mechanism to open and close the head. I'd like the user to be able to open it or close it to whatever point they wish, so some sort of scroll wheel could be used? But I need tension in there to keep the petals at whatever point they are at. No jerky motion, so I think maybe a small motor? The mechanism would have to be discreet, as I am using an articulated arm so that's mechanical enough looking without extra stuff going on around the head.

I have no experience with motors and joints as such so trying to figure it out as I go along.

Thanks a million

Emily

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You need to look at how drill chucks work.
    Get one play with it and see how a splayed ring of petals is winched into a tube which constricts the petals causing them to close (onto and gripping a drill piece).

The cheaper fly tying vises use a similar design.

Advertisement